Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Processor upgrade question

Processor upgrade question
ginop1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2008, 05:29 PM

I have a PowerMac G4 500 (Sawtooth. I was thinking of getting an upgrade (such as the Sonnet Encore/ST G4 1.8GHz or the Newer Technology MAXPower G4/7448 1.8GHz Processor Upgrade). Before I do, I have a quick question. After upgrading my processor, will my graphics stay the same (my PowerMac shipped with the ATI Rage 128, which I have upgraded to an ATI Radeon 7000 graphics card). In other words, after I upgrade the processor will I be able to install a better graphics card with more ability than the ATI Radeon 7000? Will I be able to display anything close to Quartz Graphics?

Also, other than the two processor upgrades I alluded to above, which upgrade will give me the most bang for my buck?
--------------------------------

--> Gino J. Piazza

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2008, 06:02 PM

The graphics card and processor really have little to do with each other.

There's no reason you can't upgrade to a better graphics card *now*. And if your Radeon 7000 is an AGP card, you're already Quartz Extreme enabled.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 07:45 PM

*queue usual string of posts about buying a used Mac Pro instead of upgrading an old G4*

fashizzle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
*queue usual string of posts about buying a used Mac Pro instead of upgrading an old G4*
I hear you man, I really do. Logic prevails, but not always. Those of us who go way back on the Mac (my first was an SE/30, owned several machines from each family going back before the Centris/Quadra days) are of a different mindset when it comes to upgrading towers. Hell I still have what I consider to be one of the best Macs ever made - the Powermac 9600. Runs like a champ, what an awesome machine. IXMicro Twinturbo card was the sh!t back in the day! There's this tremendous amount of enjoyment that comes from owning a G4 and being able to upgrade the proc with a drop in replacement and then upgrading the other subsystems. Now as a production machine, yeah - screw the upgrades and save the cake for latest and greatest. I 100% agree.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2008, 11:50 PM

I agree about the fun of upgrading and pushing an older Power Macs. Used to be an addiction of mine.

In fact, I think I'm going to start policing threads like this for posts like mduell's.

There's no reason every thread like this needs to be derailed by people who don't agree with the intent of the person doing the upgrading.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by ginop1 View Post
Also, other than the two processor upgrades I alluded to above, which upgrade will give me the most bang for my buck?
RAM and a faster internal hard disk. That easy. You can find plenty of upgrade options for your Sawtooth @ www macsales dot com

idykenano
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2008, 08:54 AM

Definetly upgrade the RAM if you haven't already. Its not always real cheap being pc100/pc133 to get 512mb sticks, but go at least to 1gb if not 2gb.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
In fact, I think I'm going to start policing threads like this for posts like mduell's.

There's no reason every thread like this needs to be derailed by people who don't agree with the intent of the person doing the upgrading.
I was mocking the crowd that usually joins in to suggest upgrading. It's obvious the guy wants to upgrade his PowerMac and I'm not about to tell him otherwise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules