Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > anyone else's keyboard letters disappearing?

anyone else's keyboard letters disappearing? (Page 2)
Marc Wolfgram
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2005, 10:48 AM

This was a double post -- Marc
( Last edited by Marc Wolfgram; Oct 1, 2005 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Too easy to post a message twice)

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2005, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by AppLe_SnaP
Hi...

I too have problems with my keyboard...and ive only just gotten my iBook for 2 months!!!

anyhow...what im more concerned about are oil or shiny marks on the keyboard...especially my spacebar...where there is this shine across it. what's worse is that there is also this shine on my trackpad...which is giving the trackpad a weird feel and motion isnt that smooth...

i was wondering if anyone has this problem...and how have they dealt with it? i've tried cleaning products...though none seem to be able to lift this shine-oil bit off...
=]
I have the same problem with my iBook G4 800. The letters are slowly wearing off some keys. The spacebar ia shiny (I don't care about that). And the trackpad is shiny and doesn't work with a crap. Yes, I think the trackpad can be worn out in less than a year with some types of oils in your fingers.

I've tried cleaning my trackpad with several products and nothing makes a difference. The right side of it is worn out and I can see my reflection in it. I think Apple used a very cheap trackpad material in the iBook G4 800 units, I don't know if the new ones are better. My old iBook G3 trackpad never had a problem in 2 years, but after 6 months my iBook G4 trackpad was completely broken.

I use it for brief moments only now. When it goes completely erratic I reset it (hold down your palm on it, covering up a good portion of the trackpad, without movement for 10 seconds - this is the built-in reset feature). But otherwise, I use a bluetooth mouse. Not a good solution, but it's all I can do because I can't afford to send my iBook off for a week to be repaired, even if AppleCare would cover it. I just need it everyday.

Sigh.

Ji Eun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2005, 05:07 AM

man, part with that thing for a few days and they will replace it. it's certainly worth it.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

AppLe_SnaP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2005, 06:03 PM

Thanks guys!! =]

My trackpad is still working fine though...its just that it doesnt feel as nice and good as before...but its in working condition...so not sure if apple is willing to replace it or anything...

any idea?

obelix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 06:14 PM

I've had my G4 12'' iBook for a year now and I have replaced twice the keyboard (always under warranty) but to my desperation, the A is wearing off again.. I have just ordered a iSkin protector because I am pretty sure this is an unsolved issue.

If this laptop would have been a pc, I swear it would have flown out the window

pat++
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 07:05 PM

I just noticed today that the paint is starting to get off on the 'S' key. I kept my previous iBook (G3 500) for 3 years, and had no problem.... Might be an issue with the keyboard of the iBook G4 (mine is only 1 year old).

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 30, 2006, 07:19 PM

I'm missing A,S and L.
Pd Dn is wearing off as are C and M.

I don't find it a problem as I can touch type anyway, but my iBook G3 does not have the problem.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 07:43 PM

There's little you can do about the shinyness. It's not a problem other than cosmetically on the keys, but for the trackpad it can be a real problem. I eventually got my trackpad replaced under AppleCare because it was completely useless.

obelix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 05:18 AM

Do you know if Apple has an official position about this issue?? I guess the problem is big enough to be considered. No press releases reporting it???

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 31, 2006, 07:10 AM

Well considering the keyboard still functions perfectly, it's not that big of a problem. If they keys were failing then it'd be a big problem.

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by jmendiola
I've had my G4 12'' iBook for a year now and I have replaced twice the keyboard (always under warranty) but to my desperation, the A is wearing off again.. I have just ordered a iSkin protector because I am pretty sure this is an unsolved issue.

If this laptop would have been a pc, I swear it would have flown out the window
I would like to order an iSkin keyboard protector too. Is this for your MacBook or iBook?
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

obelix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by iChelle
I would like to order an iSkin keyboard protector too. Is this for your MacBook or iBook?
For my iBook
I hope I'll have it soonest, the A is almost gone!

obelix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 02:01 AM

BTW, does anybody know if the PowerBook has the same type of keyboard??

Forum Links
Forum Rules