Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > LPR Printing and MacOS

LPR Printing and MacOS
Remy Martin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2001, 09:37 AM

A few LPR printing questions for folks out there. I am trying to set up printing to an LPR queue on a Windows NT 4.0 system. What I need to know is how important it is to have a printer driver for the specific printer I am going to use. The printers are Epson Dot Matrix printers connected to HP Jet Direct print servers that are regulated by the NT queue.

I thought that LPR printing would allow me to get around the issue of drivers(special features and such are not necessary). I am using Apple's LaserWriter software, which is PostScript whereas the printers are not, but I thought that the LPR queue should take care of that as well. I have the option of creating the queues on a Mac OS X server if anybody thinks that will help.

Last, I am thinking of getting PowerPrint for networks. has anybody had success with that?

Thanks,

remy

Forum Links
Forum Rules