Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > I'm stumped! HELP!

I'm stumped! HELP!
mac freak
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2001, 04:06 PM

Ok, I am totally baffled by this one...

I have completely lost all associations between applications and files. LITERALLY. If I double-click on pretty much anything, I am presented with the message that states "The application that created ths file cannot be found, and an apporopriate translation extension could not be found." Not to mention that almost every document on my hard drive now has a generic document icon and many applications now have generic icons as well.

In fact, the ONLY files that still open up just fine when double-clicked are AppleWorks documents. This worries me, because I just installed AW6 in OS X (on my OS X partition) so I could make some files and take advantage of the "free PDF loophole." Also, a few SimpleText webpages that I've been viewing fairly often in IE5 will always open in IE5 when double-clicked, though they retain their SimpleText document icons.

Drag-and-drop works for all apps except ResEdit -- whenever I drop something on top of its icon, I'm presented with the "this file's creator could not be found blahblahblah" message.

I know these files still have the correct type and creator codes -- I've checked!

I've even tried starting up from alternate systems on my OS 9 partition, all with the same problem... (I've yet to try my 9.1 Classic system on my OS X partition).

I've run both Disk First Aid and Norton, and both found & fixed problems to no avail. I've reset the PRAM, dumped prefs...

I know a reformat would probably fix it... but that requires HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS up backing up and wasting CD's and copying and setting up... I DON'T WANT TO DO THAT.

I'm desperate! If anyone has any clue as to what I should do, please, let me know! This is really a pain.... and, honestly, it makes no SENSE to me.

Be happy.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2001, 04:34 PM

I'm guessing you've already tried rebuilding the Desktop. If not, do that. After startup chime, hold down Command + Option keys until Desktop comes up and you are presented with a dialog asking if you want to rebuild. Let go of keys and click "rebuild".
Hope this helps.
Cliff

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2001, 11:10 PM

Yes rebuilding the desktop should do the trick. However it is unusual to to loose all associations immediately, are you sure you haven't been deleting invisible files? The DesktopDB needs to be on all volumes.

mac freak  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2001, 12:10 AM

Dear god, I forgot to rebuild the desktop
I'm so stupid! Thanks.
Be happy.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2001, 12:15 AM

No, stupid would be to trash all your files cause they dont work, what you did was a mere over sight, could of happened to anyone, well, not me, but anyone else =)

Forum Links
Forum Rules