Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spam in my Calendars

Spam in my Calendars
Ham Sandwich
Nov 16, 2016, 09:43 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:23 AM. )

andi*pandi
Nov 17, 2016, 02:15 PM

I got this also. So peeved, especially to google and find that this has existed since 2007 and Apple has not done anything to stop it. You have to set mail not to send calendar invites to ical etc automatically. You SHOULD be able to just delete from calendar.

I unplugged computer from ethernet, deleted calendar spam, and plugged back in. Supposedly this prevents the notification from being sent to spammer.

DIE spammers!

P
Nov 17, 2016, 02:40 PM

Yes, I have it too. This is one Apple needs to fix directly.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2016, 08:47 AM

Had the same yesterday and had no idea where it was coming from!
I was also a little concerned about the "sender will be notified" part when deleting it.
Facebook is full of weird Ray-Ban spam but I couldn't find out where my calender entry came from.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 25, 2016, 08:05 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:26 AM. )

P
Nov 25, 2016, 09:25 AM

It's just spam like any other, except they're sending it in the form of an invite.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Nov 25, 2016, 12:37 PM

Another one for me too, and I thought I had adjusted my calendar settings and mail settings. Then I realized that I had checked my email on the ipad first this am, so maybe the desktop settings weren't kicking in. So I found in ios a setting to hide events from apps. Maybe this will do it? it never showed up as email.

I have no idea which app might be doing this but they can die in a fire.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 25, 2016, 07:31 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:27 AM. )

andi*pandi
Nov 25, 2016, 11:13 PM

You don't have to actually open mail if the mail setting says to automatically go to calendar.

The last setting change I made for me did not fix it. Another thread elsewhere said to go to icloud.com (on desktop, not ipad) and go to calendar > settings > advanced. There is an option there to make events go to Mail not automatically the calendar. Now at least they show up in mail and I can tag them as spam.

Now, where they are coming from... :/

Ham Sandwich
Nov 26, 2016, 01:19 PM

[...deleted...]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2016, 02:54 PM

Why would that account be made up?

Sign up for iCloud, spam all @icloud @mac @me email addresses on your twelve-million verified spammable email list with calendar invites that aren't yet caught by Apple's spam filters...there is no step 3.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 26, 2016, 06:04 PM

My wife and I were getting these, but only via one calendar we shared together. We deleted the calendar and they have stopped.

This is one of the things I'd like to have a way to address by pushing a button and having the original perpetrator's computer vaporize in front of him/her. I assume no responsibility for that person's physical safety when the spamming machine ceases to be... Just sayin'.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Nov 26, 2016, 06:52 PM

What's annoying to me is playing whack-a-mole with these settings. I saw a thread from 2008 about this same issue and there's no "invite is spam" button?

P
Nov 28, 2016, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
This is one of the things I'd like to have a way to address by pushing a button and having the original perpetrator's computer vaporize in front of him/her. I assume no responsibility for that person's physical safety when the spamming machine ceases to be... Just sayin'.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 28, 2016, 02:10 PM

Ars has written a guide on how to handle this. They cover how to delete the spam without sending a confirmation (move to a temp calandar, then delete that calandar). Also how to make it all go to Mail in the future, so you can tag as spam.

I haven't been bit yet.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 10, 2016, 10:33 AM

The iCloud default "invite" setting is at the core of this exploit. Having things "just work" sometimes leads to this sort of problem.

I don't know if the exploit was discovered by the bad guys through examining the newest iCloud interface specs, or if it was just found, but it's a real, and troubling, hole in the way iCloud is supposed to help us keep things organized... Sometimes software designers are too imaginative, and sometimes they miss things that other folks would call obvious.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2016, 11:18 AM

It's stopped for me. Didn't change anything.

P
Dec 10, 2016, 12:16 PM

Pretty sure that Apple changed something in the spam filters.

But what bugs me a bit is that Apple's defaults in the calendar app are so strange. By default, it will pop up every invitation that you get as it arrives, and leave it with a red number on the icon until you respond. Not read, respond. That is just a bad default. If you want the app to have the invites instead of in the mail app, fine, alert me to the fact that I have something new - but don't bug me about invites that I have not responded to.

andi*pandi
Dec 10, 2016, 12:43 PM

when I searched for fixes, I found threads on apple support dating back to 2007.

the icloud settings fixed it for me, or maybe that was a coincidence. maybe once enough people had the invites in their mail and clicked spam, that updated the spam database.

what I would have expected from apple would be a solution that didn't take away the convenience (add meetings to calendar) but also added functionality, spam detection, no notifications, etc.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2016, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Pretty sure that Apple changed something in the spam filters.

But what bugs me a bit is that Apple's defaults in the calendar app are so strange. By default, it will pop up every invitation that you get as it arrives, and leave it with a red number on the icon until you respond. Not read, respond. That is just a bad default. If you want the app to have the invites instead of in the mail app, fine, alert me to the fact that I have something new - but don't bug me about invites that I have not responded to.
Actually, the way it works right now is exactly the way I need it to be. I'm constantly getting invitations for gigs or rehearsals, or date changes, or updated attachments (we get set lists and itineraries attached to the event), and I really need to be reminded when I haven't acknowledged something.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 10, 2016, 02:43 PM

[...deleted...]

P
Dec 11, 2016, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Which one, in System Preferences, iCloud.com, your iPhone, in Mail (macOS or iOS?)? Because I don't tend to use the Mail app (on either platform) and I do not see where to get to the setting to turn off invites.
Setting is on iCloud.com, I think we referenced it above. You can go there once to change it even if you use mail.app otherwise.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 11, 2016, 10:10 AM

[...deleted...]

andi*pandi
Dec 11, 2016, 12:26 PM

in above screenshot, click gear on bottom left.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2016, 06:24 PM

Ham Sandwich
Dec 11, 2016, 10:34 PM

[...deleted...]

andi*pandi
Dec 13, 2016, 04:33 PM

Ham Sandwich
Jun 19, 2017, 09:13 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:41 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Jun 19, 2017, 09:38 PM

They may have gotten an invisible overlay ad, which hijacks any click on the page. On reload, you didn't get that ad, so links behaved as normal.

You can check your history, see the first wrong place they sent you to. Then use a plugin to block that site. Assuming the redirect guys only use a few sites, blocking each of the first-step redirects will make you immune. At least until they register more sites.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2017, 03:56 AM

Bulgogiandbutter isn't a real website. It's a listing of sponsored domains that makes its money through redirects and reloading of spam sites.

Forum Links
Forum Rules