Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN]: iVapour� ;)

[ANN]: iVapour� ;)
Anderton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 07:34 AM

Serious. Some of you guys need to see the sun sometimes. And start to see REAL pepole. If you can't take a tiny bit of light-hearted poke without start to diss, well you take your stuff way to serious.

Have a nice day all. Cheers.
( Last edited by Anderton; Jan 17, 2004 at 05:53 AM. )

pixeljunky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 08:29 AM

here we go again...

---teaser looks nice

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 08:55 AM

Is this a joke?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Is this a joke?
I think so...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2004, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
I think so...
Hmm...
Well, nice design for the tease teaser though

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Cerbero:
Hmm...
Well, nice design for the tease teaser though
Indeed.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Ayelbourne
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 10:13 AM

iVapour was announced almost two hours ago, and we still don't have it!!!!!! Liars!!!! What a crock!!!

I want it NOW!!!!! Gimmie gimmie gimmie!!!

Did I do that right?

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2004, 10:28 AM

get ready for Omega hype part 2.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2004, 11:46 AM

These guys defenitly know nothing about typography!
MY EYES HURT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they are a lot better in themeing...

...and faster than others!!
( Last edited by badidea; Jan 14, 2004 at 12:05 PM. )

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 11:49 AM

Haha! That's wonderful. Thank you.

FB Eye
Senior User
Jan 14, 2004, 12:14 PM

Hmmm...

iVapour - as in Vapourware�? (Microsoft trademark)...

Excellent humour I must say

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
Hmmm...

iVapour - as in Vapourware�? (Microsoft trademark)...
No no no. That's Bloatware�.

Vapourware� (Vaporware� in the United States), would be different. You can find examples of it... uh, all sorts of places.

york28
Senior User
Jan 14, 2004, 12:37 PM

So when are you going to start pushing back the release date? I can hardly wait.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

Anderton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 01:05 PM

Hehe...

Rules and clues:
1. The name
2. COS (The Omega OS for Mac never released back in the days)
3. X-Treme Mac (The 1.2 GHZ Vapour Mac from a thirdparty company in Stockholm)

My sense of humor is maybe strange..
But following threads here about "teasers", and pepoles reactions to them is quite funny. Love, hate, threats, praisings.

Quoting William Shatner in SNL "Star Trek? Get a life will ya!" or in this forum "Themes? Get a life will ya!"

My post is not an way to diss theme developers. Just a post with the in the eye.

(now, maybe i should get into theming my self. Any good newbie resources?)

Cheers och ha en trevlig kv�ll alla.
( Last edited by Anderton; Jan 16, 2004 at 09:23 PM. )

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 01:53 PM

you do have talent there, maybe you should go into themeing...

-Owl

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 01:59 PM

there is no talent here. just basic photoshop tutorials that are all over the net that someone could go out and do in less than 10 minutes.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
there is no talent here. just basic photoshop tutorials that are all over the net that someone could go out and do in less than 10 minutes.
\

Know from experience?

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
\

Know from experience?
no, know from viewing the work.

but yes i have done tutorials.

Anderton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 02:39 PM

You maybe have done one of my tuts long time ago? I really don't understand your tone. Frankly, the BBX teaser is not to hard to do either. And when i'am looking at your homepage, with the strange CSS, and the "cool" dropshadowed text. If anyone called that talented, then i rest my case.

p.s You really don't know me, or the graphic design i have done in the past. This one was indeed a 15 minute work.
If this was a work i have spend time on, i would design it for the users, not you.

Hi, you are Mike, this is your head ->

Anderton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 02:41 PM

Like your use of simple bevels and regualar dropshadows?

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Anderton:
You maybe have done one of my tuts long time ago? I really don't understand your tone. Frankly, the BBX teaser is not to hard to do either. And when i'am looking at your homepage, with the strange CSS, and the "cool" dropshadowed text. If anyone called that talented, then i rest my case.

p.s You really don't know me, or the graphic design i have done in the past. This one was indeed a 15 minute work.
If this was a work i have spend time on, i would design it for the users, not you.

Hi, you are Mike, this is your head ->
I really don't believe you can tell my tone over the internet. I was telling people not to get too excited and say oh wow look at the time spent in that. Sorry I struck a cord with you and told the truth on how it was done. And I am quite sure it was not one of your tutorials. Continue on though. You amuse me.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 02:51 PM

Like your use of simple bevels and regualar dropshadows?
you already said that.
I never claimed my website was oh so great and amazing. You really seem mad at something. You wanna let it all out? It is just the internet man. Sorry someone has another opinion other than praise. It happens, get over it.

Anderton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 03:00 PM

you already said that.
I never claimed my website was oh so great and amazing. You really seem mad at something. You wanna let it all out? It is just the internet man. Sorry someone has another opinion other than praise. It happens, get over it.
Hehe, i'm not mad. I do practice QiGong every morning so i can't be mad

However, it was kind of amusing to see such a unecessary comment from your side, that i of course must answer too. (to make it more amusing)

Your post was about "talent". A whole different thing, that i actaully care about. You maybe not. And thats cool with me. It's the internet.

Now i am going back to read the "How to make a cool button with bevels and dropshadows" tutorial.

Cheers.

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 04:37 PM

share your tutorials.

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2004, 05:03 PM

for real, share the tutorials! And any other tutorials pages for that matter. I am always down for learning new things in Photoshop and Fireworks

york28
Senior User
Jan 14, 2004, 05:39 PM

Regardless of difficulty level, I'd say the posted teaser is pretty cool- except the fonts, which are a pain to read.

I don't see why you'd bust someone else's work. It's one thing to say you don't like something, another to emply with a higher-than-you attitude that someone's work (humorous no less) is without talent. It's not that you don't like it, its having to attack it to support your view that offends people.

I'm not mad, just wanted to mention that.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

ender2002
Senior User
Jan 14, 2004, 10:54 PM

Excuse me. This is no "quick photoshop job". This teaser exemplifies the core element of the theme: a polycarboate white casing injected / infused with laser guided interactive pulsing blue LEDs that respond to various statistics (system activity, CPU heat, etc) featuring highly realistic surfaces and elements, including skins for every Konfabulator widget, Quicktime and iTunes skins, over 150 individual original icons that complement the core theme design, boot panels, login panels, dock replacements, safari skins, mightymouse cursors, and icontainers.

This is the only teaser that you will see for the next six months however and maybe a glimpse of the iTunes remote.

The theme is running head to head in competition with William Bart's BBX-Omega.

See ya at the finish line

[/end rant]

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 12:30 PM

Frankly, the BBX teaser is not to hard to do either.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2004, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
bbx, don't flatter yourself. It's not like you are God oh photoshop. I am sure there are a million people out there that could look at it and reproduce it in less than half hour. I would give you more credit for the creativity of the thought than the photoshop work.

lenox
Senior User
Jan 15, 2004, 02:58 PM

I would agree that teasers do not take much work, whereas designing a workable consistent UI does take quite a bit of work.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2004, 03:05 PM

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
bbx, don't flatter yourself. It's not like you are God oh photoshop. I am sure there are a million people out there that could look at it and reproduce it in less than half hour. I would give you more credit for the creativity of the thought than the photoshop work.
find one person that could ever do that in less than a half hour.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2004, 03:10 PM

Err, and fwiw, I believe BBX used Illustrator to creat a vector image, which he then turned into a 3D model (and then probably cleaned it up in Photoshop). I'm sure it took significantly longer than a simple Photoshop mock up.

I can't wait to see Omega, but I couldn't resist when I saw the "Hahaha..." post.

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2004, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by justinp:

Ok, so how do people do these kinds of photoshop things? Where can I find tutorials to do this style stuff? I want all the photoshop tutorials I can get ahold of because I find I learn a lot about how it works when I am doing tuts. Same for fireworks. And I haven't touched illustrator. X_X

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2004, 03:52 PM

No tutorials for that sort of thing, afaik.

You just have to know your way around the app, and know how to do what you want. That happens through practice.

Do tutorials, but do your own stuff too.

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2004, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Slayer-X:
Ok, so how do people do these kinds of photoshop things? Where can I find tutorials to do this style stuff? I want all the photoshop tutorials I can get ahold of because I find I learn a lot about how it works when I am doing tuts. Same for fireworks. And I haven't touched illustrator. X_X
you have already lost before you have even started.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by orangep0ny:
That's rather pessimistic.

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2004, 10:15 PM

And you have seen any of my Photoshop work when? Right, so keep your negativity to yourself. Excuse the fork out of me for wanting to learn and expand my experience and knowledge of an application.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2004, 10:19 PM

why did you change you nick, but kept the sig and other info?

But really all I wanted to say was that this thread is yet another example of built up anger bursting thru in these forums ... what the hell is wrong with the people here? Why is everyone so angry and so quick to judge others, get into fights, etc? I admit. I've done that too on occasion - and sometimes argument can be fun. But folks are really losing it here on MacNN ... go out and buy yourselves a punchbag or something. Anderton has clearly demonstrated that QiGong does not work, cuz he's puffing more than a racing horse ... I don't think anyone should calm down - you should all let your anger out once in a while, just not here and not directed at other human beings.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 11:05 PM

You guys need to cool it... I haven't commented on this topic until now because I knew it would turn bad before too long.
I'm only commenting now to say I am sickened at how everyone is acting in response to BBX trying to create the best GUI makeover ever, that will be free and was taken 100% from BBX's own free time!
As with all software, it takes longer to make quality software than to make crap... The same is with themes.
Warcraft 3 was delayed more than a few times, and around a year in total if I recall correctly. I suspect it wouldn't have been nearly as good a game if it hadn't been delayed.

ShapeShifter also needs to be updated to accommodate the cool new things BBX has in store for us... AND it was his intent to release Omega with ShapeShifter. Things happen, it wasn't doalbe...

Just give BBX a break...

Also a real designer should know Illustrator among the manny other design applications.
click one

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 11:46 PM

I think the question is how does one go about doing those sort of images? All a person needs is the technique not instructions on how to make an certain look.

Can anyone point out some tutorials or explain how its done? What apps do you use? Etc.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2004, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
As with all software, it takes longer to make quality software than to make crap... The same is with themes.
I don't think that's really why people are upset. Of course it takes time, and anyone that says differently isn't worth listening to.

I think the problem is the absolutely terrible way in which he's marketed Omega, painting a picture of himself as extremely arrogant, quick to make excuses, and pandering for attention. There's an entire class of characters used purely for mockery in Greek and Roman theater (the braggart soldier) that's exactly like this.

I'm not saying that BBX actually is arrogant, whiney, or an attention whore. That's just the image he's created, and now he has to live with it. That or do the smart thing, which is ignore these forums and stop responding to every pissant with a problem.

firn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 12:59 AM

the problem, that this topic is trying to make fun of is the problem with too much hype. it happens with both software and themes, people get really sick of something with too much hype. If BBX waited to a week or two(granted this is dependent of the software of others) before the release of Omega to bring out a teaser there would not be any problem, but releasing teasers without any 'real' release date does no one any good.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 01:13 AM

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 01:20 AM

woo, something productive!
DigitalRamen sucks.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by wibs:
I don't think that's really why people are upset. Of course it takes time, and anyone that says differently isn't worth listening to.

I think the problem is the absolutely terrible way in which he's marketed Omega, painting a picture of himself as extremely arrogant, quick to make excuses, and pandering for attention. There's an entire class of characters used purely for mockery in Greek and Roman theater (the braggart soldier) that's exactly like this.

I'm not saying that BBX actually is arrogant, whiney, or an attention whore. That's just the image he's created, and now he has to live with it. That or do the smart thing, which is ignore these forums and stop responding to every pissant with a problem.
He posted 2 poster things, and then SS wasn't ready for Omega... He thought it would be long done by now. Just like Blizzard with Warcraft 3... They thought they'd have it out sooner, they made trailers that said it would be out soon and then they delayed it for quality. You can't blame BBX for his excuses, the things keeping Omega from release are beyond his control. He's got a quality product, you can't blame the guy for wanting to brag a bit about it, and like I siad before, he thought it would be long done by now.
click one

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 03:34 AM

This thread is getting way too serious.

I'm pretty sure the original intention was simply a light-hearted poke at BBX. I know I had a good chuckle when I saw the teaser.

NetworkShadow, I can understand being "sickened" at how some people are acting (especially in other threads). But this is just a joke. Laugh.

Even BBX had a good hearty laugh, earlier.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
He posted 2 poster things, and then SS wasn't ready for Omega... He thought it would be long done by now. Just like Blizzard with Warcraft 3... They thought they'd have it out sooner, they made trailers that said it would be out soon and then they delayed it for quality. You can't blame BBX for his excuses, the things keeping Omega from release are beyond his control. He's got a quality product, you can't blame the guy for wanting to brag a bit about it, and like I siad before, he thought it would be long done by now.
Yes, I've mentioned this before, but Omega cannot be released until ShapeShifter supports some things it doesn't currently support. So I should be receiving the anger that people feel they need to throw at BBX for taking time away from paying work to create something for them, for free.

'Course, I'd rather that everyone just got along...
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by justinp:
Even BBX had a good hearty laugh, earlier.
hahah

seriously though... there's never a time when everybody loves you. if you want the acclaim, you have to put up with the jealous, the jokes, the flames, and the ass kissers. that applies double if you still want the acclaim but haven't released anything yet.

if everyone could just take a joke at their own expense every once in a while we'd get so much more done, heh.
DigitalRamen sucks.

Anderton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Hehe.. I'm am (like many others) a big fan of your work. What i meant was that technically the teaser is not so hard to do. But to come up with an design concept. That's the tricky part that seperates you from all others.

Forum Links
Forum Rules