Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN]: iVapour� ;)

[ANN]: iVapour� ;) (Page 2)
Anderton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by justinp:
This thread is getting way too serious.

I'm pretty sure the original intention was simply a light-hearted poke at BBX. I know I had a good chuckle when I saw the teaser.

Not really More of an light-hearted poke to all pepole that takes BBX Omega way too serious. It's a theme right? Some pepole almost making dead threats to BBX becuase it's not released yet.

Anderton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by olorin15:
Anderton has clearly demonstrated that QiGong does not work, cuz he's puffing more than a racing horse ... I don't think anyone should calm down - you should all let your anger out once in a while, just not here and not directed at other human beings.
Well, it was my evil twin brother..
I had a rough day i would say. Everyone has it...

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2004, 09:17 AM

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
bbx, don't flatter yourself. It's not like you are God oh photoshop. I am sure there are a million people out there that could look at it and reproduce it in less than half hour.
While I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, I never said I was a god in Photoshop or implied as much - I just laughed when the original poster said it would be an easy thing to do. So why don't you mind your own business and stop playing ego/forum cop.

Why did I laugh? Because although producing the still would probably not be too hard for somebody good with Photoshop, the teaser logo you see is actually the final frame of a complex animation. Every frame (and every surface of everything in the theme pretty much) is actually a composite of 3 seperate renderings of the same 3D geometry with different material/lighting setups married together in Photoshop with adjustment layers and masks - 2 34-bit raytraces for the black surfaces and their environmental gloss, one 8-bit phong render for the LED regions. The LEDs are then broken up depending on the region they occupy and then sequenced either by hand or in after effects.

So it's not rocket science, but it's time-consuming and maybe not as 'easy' as the original poster stated. If it were a simple flat 2D thing sure no problem, but there's a linear vector stage, a translate-to-3D stage, material and lighting setups and troubleshooting, animation sequencing for the geometry, rendering different passes, developing a composite method in photoshop, carrying this over into After Effects, sequencing and troubleshooting LEDs in after effects within multiple composites, back to Photoshop and then add the type and other crap.

I'm not taking any of this too seriously - I'm happy with my design, I know that there's nothing I could've done about the delays, etc. Those who feel I should have done things differently (and feel compelled to state as much repeatedly) are misinformed and/or ignorant of the facts/what's actually going on behind the scenes. If people want to be rude and have a collective laugh kicking a guy after a spot of bad timing/luck then all the power to them I guess.

FWIW, I thought the teaser on this thread was amusing (or rather, it would have been 4 weeks ago) - but you've gotta admit that's one ugly-ass teaser.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 03:21 PM

It was an amusing joke, at first... But sadly it never seems to stay that way. That's the issue I have with this topic.

Call me a "kiss ass" but I think Omega is going to rock, and I think everyone should give BBX some slack.
I also can't wait to see what this animation thing is...
click one

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 04:10 PM

First i would liek to thank Mike for posting the site about PS.. I enjoyed looking at them and also the minor things that one can learn from such sites..

Second.. why does every frick'n forum thread end up talking about BBX in some way? I'm getting really tired of this constanly happening around here.. personally i would like to see Mac Guru start to block threads that contain anything to do with BBX (other than the Omega thread) just my 2 cents.. sorry to bother..

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
why does every frick'n forum thread end up talking about BBX in some way? I'm getting really tired of this constanly happening around here..
Yeah, I agree it's pretty sad. I'm inclined to blame Network Shadow hehehe

Theodour
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2004, 05:53 PM

Wow. This was a real roller coaster.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Yeah, I agree it's pretty sad. I'm inclined to blame Network Shadow hehehe
lol Just cuz I'm a fan and haven't said anything negative about Omega.
click one

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
Second.. why does every frick'n forum thread end up talking about BBX in some way? ...
While I can see your frustration with this, I hope you aren't terribly surprised that an Omega spoof turned into a thread about Omega.

Anderton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 09:33 PM

While I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, I never said I was a god in Photoshop or implied as much - I just laughed when the original poster said it would be an easy thing to do. So why don't you mind your own business and stop playing ego/forum cop.

Why did I laugh? Because although producing the still would probably not be too hard for somebody good with Photoshop, the teaser logo you see is actually the final frame of a complex animation. Every frame (and every surface of everything in the theme pretty much) is actually a composite of 3 seperate renderings of the same 3D geometry with different material/lighting setups married together in Photoshop with adjustment layers and masks - 2 34-bit raytraces for the black surfaces and their environmental gloss, one 8-bit phong render for the LED regions. The LEDs are then broken up depending on the region they occupy and then sequenced either by hand or in after effects.

So it's not rocket science, but it's time-consuming and maybe not as 'easy' as the original poster stated. If it were a simple flat 2D thing sure no problem, but there's a linear vector stage, a translate-to-3D stage, material and lighting setups and troubleshooting, animation sequencing for the geometry, rendering different passes, developing a composite method in photoshop, carrying this over into After Effects, sequencing and troubleshooting LEDs in after effects within multiple composites, back to Photoshop and then add the type and other crap.

I'm not taking any of this too seriously - I'm happy with my design, I know that there's nothing I could've done about the delays, etc. Those who feel I should have done things differently (and feel compelled to state as much repeatedly) are misinformed and/or ignorant of the facts/what's actually going on behind the scenes. If people want to be rude and have a collective laugh kicking a guy after a spot of bad timing/luck then all the power to them I guess.

FWIW, I thought the teaser on this thread was amusing (or rather, it would have been 4 weeks ago) - but you've gotta admit that's one ugly-ass teaser.
Geeeze... The thread was all about pepole getting so excited over a theme that they where willing to make threats.

You do your work, you teaser could take 6 months to do. Whatever. That's not the point. I just said the teaser was not hard to do technically (for me or my colleges), but the design concept is a lot harder to do.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Anderton:
Geeeze... The thread was all about pepole getting so excited over a theme that they where willing to make threats.

You do your work, you teaser could take 6 months to do. Whatever. That's not the point. I just said the teaser was not hard to do technically (for me or my colleges), but the design concept is a lot harder to do.
But yet I say the teaser is not that impressive or hard to do I was way off and didn't know what I was talking about. Awesome. Even more funny now that it seems you needed help to do it.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
But yet I say the teaser is not that impressive or hard to do I was way off and didn't know what I was talking about. Awesome. Even more funny now that it seems you needed help to do it.
I don't know if we are talking about the BBX poster or the spoof poster..?
click one

FB Eye
Senior User
Jan 17, 2004, 01:01 AM

Excuse me, but...

Anderton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2004, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
Eh, i was talking about the BBX teaser. And where does it say that i needed help?

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2004, 10:47 AM

Just to put some salt into Anderton's wound- it's "people" not "pepole" No offense, Anderton. Just a little reminder
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

sheer
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2004, 08:12 PM

Oh ffs. You say you're not taking this seriously yet you give us a synopsis on how is a multi-stage 3D thing which goes into After Effects in order to be incorporated into a vector layer which is compostited in... blah blah blah. Pur-lease.

*bbx fanboys please insert flames below*

FB Eye
Senior User
Jan 17, 2004, 10:24 PM

Geez, could this thread be any more boring? What had begun as a simple innocent joke has evolved into a flaming fest, like the majority of the threads on this forum...

Folks, get a friggin' life!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules