Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Video Card suggestions for multiple monitors on 2006 Mac Pro

Video Card suggestions for multiple monitors on 2006 Mac Pro
DJG3
Jun 3, 2010, 06:23 PM

Currently still running the original GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB that came standard with a pair of 19s. Just ordered a pair of the new U2311H 23 IPS displays and the quad monitor stand below. Since I need to add another video card i'm open to suggestions on what cards to look into to achieve this. I spend most of my time in Photoshop and editing HD video in FCP...

~DJG3

reader50
Administrator
Jun 7, 2010, 01:39 PM

Last I heard, Photoshop and FCP do not make use of GPU acceleration. Unless that has changed recently, you can pick up the cheapest card that works with your MacPro.

Alternative: buy the best card you can afford, to handle two of the monitors. Then on those slow days, you can relieve tension by fragging your many enemies.

P
Jun 7, 2010, 05:38 PM

I don't know about FCP, but Photoshop does make use of the GPU. Here is the list of the cards they tested Photoshop with - as good a place to start as any.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

DJG3  (op)
Jun 8, 2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Last I heard, Photoshop and FCP do not make use of GPU acceleration. Unless that has changed recently, you can pick up the cheapest card that works with your MacPro.

Alternative: buy the best card you can afford, to handle two of the monitors. Then on those slow days, you can relieve tension by fragging your many enemies.
Appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure if my 2006 mac pro supports pci express 2.0. I'm open to suggestions in any price range really, but as im not a gamer suppose I should be able to find a card that works with my machine for well under $150. What's the best online shop to pick up mactel video cards lately?

would one of these work?
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N973-TR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Amazon.com: ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB PCI Express Video Card: Electronics

I'd even be open to picking up another 7300 GT but havnt found one for sale from a reasonable online vendor so far...
~DJG3

Forum Links
Forum Rules