Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 466 MHz G4 Tower Owners Poll (all new G4 owners welcome)

466 MHz G4 Tower Owners Poll (all new G4 owners welcome)
murbot
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2001, 06:32 PM

I'd like to hear from some 466 owners here.

1.Are you still happy with your purchase? Any regrets in not going with a 533 or dual 533?

2.How happy are you with the performance of it?

3.When using OSX do you find yourself asking "Why didn't I spring for a dual 533?!"

4. After having first hand experience with it, would you recommend it to a good friend to buy?

Thanks! Just want to hear some first-hand feedback on this model. If owners of 533 and dual 533 machines want to chime in with their thoughts on their machines as well, please feel free!

------------------
[Removed at the request of Apple Legal]

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2001, 01:32 AM

Go with the Dual 533. This is truly an awesome machine and the bright spot in the lineup! You WILL regret it if you go with the single 466.
~Peace~

murbot  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2001, 02:04 AM

Bodhi you sonofabitch. That's just what my MasterCard wanted to hear.

My only problem is that if I get the Dual 533 I will have to cheap out on the monitor. I'll probably get a cheapo beige deal. Oh well. If I come into some more money in the next year I can always add a better monitor and run two of them.

You're probably right though. That Dual 533 will stay a "monster" and very useful for alot longer than the single 466 would... Maybe I can stop my buy-and-sell habits with it.

Come on guys, let's hear comments and opinions on the G4s!

------------------

mac convert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2001, 11:44 AM

I own a Dual 533 with 640 MB of RAM..all i can is that it is my first mac computer and i love it although, i do regret not getting the Powerbook G4 instead...would have been better for my needs than another desktop..but anyways, speed wise this thing is really quick in X. I assume if you do professional work like most mac users..video editing ..Photoshop . this dual is the way to go..Unfortunatley i do neither so i have yet to push this machine to its capabiltity. But i do love OS X .. cant stop using it.. spring for the dual..os x runs great and if you run Final Cut or Photopshop u really cant go wrong...in the end it all depends on what you will use it for.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2001, 06:09 PM

I bought a G4/533 last month. I'm very satisfied with it. I'm using OS 9.1 on it, and it's rock solid. And fast enough for what I use it for. I don't plan on moving up to Mac OSX for sometime. I looked at the dual processors, but what benefits would I gain from that? I believe that the G4/533 is a nice combination of speed, price, and features. Plus, I have a Ti, which I use more often than the G4 Dual processors are too dependent on specific software. And hopefully, when Apple can get someone to produce a faster single processor, like 900-1000MHz, I'll move up. But it's looking like it might be sometime before that happens

------------------
Ti/500/512/20
G4/533/512/40

chumley
May 5, 2001, 09:06 PM

BTO'd a G4 533 DP last month- 1.5 GB RAM, Ultra SCSI RAID Level 0, (of course these two aftermarket to avoid going broke), nVidia MX2, (2) IBM deskstar 75 GXP (75 GB each, aftermarket),CDRW, legacy-peripheral compatible SCSI card. etc. Six days later I was cutting tape.

I consult (computers, production, graphic deisn, workflow, networking) for a living, and had used/set up/recommended for purchase G4's for a while. I LIVE inPhotoshop, Quark, Illustrator/ Freehand/ Dreamweaver/Flash/M100/Premiere/AfterEffects/FCP; (I'd like to meet the person who termed Quark/P-shop/Illustrator 'Platforms' rather than just programs; by now-they are more than half right).

This box ROCKS. I can work with 100-200 MB images in mucho layers and masks all day/night while keeping app itself in RAM disk as well as 1+ GB of app memory allocation, and I save a LOT of time.
It's solid as heck with everything else I can throw at it, and I haven't even tried OS X yet, although that's going on the extra 75 GXP very soon. The Mitsubishi 2040u is even more happy on this than its old Formac ProFormance Plus card, and Quake III(w/MP aware and OpenGL optimized patch?) is as synapse happy as it should be now.

One thing I'll upgrade to is the newest MX3 video card when it comes out, although more for 3D and games than anything else. I can't wait to ramp up on Maya for OS X when it's ported (soon?), and I'm looking forward to experiencing symmetrical multiprocessing in X as well.

All told, not the most Mhz, but the best use of my $ for now. Admittedly, I NEED multiprocessing more than many, so your mileage may vary : ).

chumley
May 5, 2001, 09:09 PM

Sorry. GeForce 3 .

JLannoo
May 5, 2001, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by murbot:
Bodhi you sonofabitch. That's just what my MasterCard wanted to hear.

My only problem is that if I get the Dual 533 I will have to cheap out on the monitor. I'll probably get a cheapo beige deal. Oh well. If I come into some more money in the next year I can always add a better monitor and run two of them.

You're probably right though. That Dual 533 will stay a "monster" and very useful for alot longer than the single 466 would... Maybe I can stop my buy-and-sell habits with it.

Come on guys, let's hear comments and opinions on the G4s!

Never cheap out on a Monitor. Its what you spend all your time looking at and deserves a great deal of priority. Your eyes will thank you for it.

------------------
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot

G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro

Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot
G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro
Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS

murbot  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2001, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by JLannoo:
Never cheap out on a Monitor. Its what you spend all your time looking at and deserves a great deal of priority. Your eyes will thank you for it.
Yes. I made that exact decision tonight after spending the afternoon looking at many inexpensive monitors. I just couldn't see myself sitting down to a brand new G4, and having to use a crappy beige monitor. I also realistically looked at what I do with this computer. GoLive, Photoshop (smallish file sizes though), Flash, iTunes, IE and Entourage, and Office 2001. I don't play games other than fooling around with demos from mags... I get too bored of them after a day or two anyway.

So, I decided to do my eyes (and my wallet) a favour. I chose the 466 MHz G4 with a 15" Apple Flat Panel Studio Display. After an evening of installing apps and playing around in OSX, ripping MP3's, burning CD's, and surfing the net (I have my DSL back!!!! ) I am in love with this setup. No regrets speed wise on the 466, it feels really fast and solid. The display is terrific, I've gone over it with a fine toothed comb, and cannot find even one slight imperfection. (I was so worried about dead pixels, it was a huge sigh of relief with I saw it was perfect)

I don't have a digital camera, but have a few shots left on a roll on the 35 mm. I'll have a shot of the new set up in the
Photos..." thread tomorrow!

Man, I just can't get the smile off my face right now...

------------------

davidflas
Mac Elite
May 6, 2001, 06:54 AM

Murbot,

I have a G4/466 too and I love it. Sure the 533DP is better, but I don't regret my purchase. I dropped another 256MB of ram in and find that it does everything I need to do. Check out a picture of my modest setup on page one of the pictures thread.

------------------
Jesus chills with a 40
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

SMacEslin
Forum Regular
May 6, 2001, 07:56 AM

I'm running a 450MP with 640, and have quite satisfied overall. Get the most machine you can afford. Highly recommend 'any' dualprocessor system, maybe somewhat overkill now, but later...

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 6, 2001, 10:05 AM

Dual 500 @550 w/ 1GB RAM, Radeon BTO and PCI Orion.
Bought a used Apple Multi-Synch 20" for 180.00US for the Radeon and stuck a Compaq VGA 17" on the Orion.
LOVE IT

Duallies kick a$$

wumeng
Senior User
May 6, 2001, 11:09 AM

I have a G4/533DP and it's absolutely fantastic, and I look forward to seeing things get even faster once I upgrade to OS X.

Phorte
May 7, 2001, 04:35 PM

I went with:

G4-533MHz
nVidia MX
512MB RAM
Apple Studio Display 17"
Apple Pro Speakers

Overall, the best bang for my buck.

t6hawk
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2001, 01:17 PM

Well I don't know how much better performance a MP533 would make over the 466 in OS9.1 but I usually work with large video files and it took my 466 about 7 hours to completely process a 330MB video file (changed the format of it for those who are wondering why it took so long) The program I was using to convert the video file is, as far as I know, not MP aware so I don't know if a MP would have made much difference in this case.

As for X, it runs quite nicely on my 466 and I can't wait for Quake3 to work on it. Then I can really give the peecee users a run for their money
:)

PowerBookDude
May 8, 2001, 03:08 PM

The 466MHz seems a little sluggish compare to my 500MHz Ti.

I didn't think I would notice adifference, but I did.

Just my $00.02.

------------------
PBDude

On the 8th day God created Apple. On the 9th day God created the WozCam

[This message has been edited by PowerBookDude (edited 05-08-2001).]

thjonas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2001, 01:49 PM

I own a G4 466 and it is great except for this one thing. When I start it up, I hear the startup sound and then for like 20 seconds nothing happens, until it continues starting up.
My friend had the same problem when he upgraded from 9.0.4 to 9.1. So he downgraded to 9.0.4 and that fixed it.
Is anyone else having the same problem or knows how to fix it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules