Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apollo rising...

Apollo rising...
mugwump
Sep 21, 2001, 01:48 PM

This just in today from the register regarding the next g4 chips:

"Apollo, meanwhile, will clock at 1.0, 1.13 and 1.26GHz, we're told, but is aimed primarily at mobile applications. Still, Apple will use it in desktops if it has to. "

So is this the Powerbook visibility we have been looking for? Or would Apple really just upgrade to a pitiful 600mhz for the next 9 months...

read the entire article regarding MWSF: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/21813.html

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: mugwump ]

Mac_Nacho
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2001, 05:40 PM

This just don't make sense. I read the same in MOSR. But think this. Apple recently launched it's dual 800MHz desktop and 867MHz. IF, and only IF, desktops are still at 867MHz (with al the heat issues that this imply) how the hell will they be able to put a 1GHz G4 in the TiPB??
For me it's bulls#$@#t. My vote goes for a "limited" review in speed...in the 600/700 line.
Just take a look to history has to tell us...revisions in G3!!! iMacs, PowerBooks, iBooks and in G4. Apple seldom duplicate speed....500MHz to 1GHz? VERY unlike to me, not to say CRAP!
regards
iMac 1GHz 17" Super Drive
iPod 5GB

Mac_Nacho
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2001, 05:42 PM

This just doesn't make sense. I read the same in MOSR. But think this: Apple recently launched it's dual 800MHz and single 867MHz desktops. If desktops are still at 867MHz, how the hell will they be able to put a 1GHz G4 in the TiPB??
For me it's bulls#$@#t. My vote goes for a "limited" review in speed...in the 600/700 line.
Just take a look to what history has to tell us...the G3 used in iMacs, iBooks, PowerBooks...and the G4. Apple seldom duplicate speed....500MHz to 1GHz? VERY unlike to me, not to say CRAP!
regards
iMac 1GHz 17" Super Drive
iPod 5GB

THT
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2001, 12:46 AM

The power dissipation numbers for Apollo are speculated to be:

>10 Watts for a 700 MHz Apollo G4
~20 Watts for a 1 GHz Apollo G4

Apollo will be manufactured on a more advanced process, HiP 7, a 0.13 micron SOI process, and operate at 1.5V. Die size will be about 55 sq mm, about half the current size of the 0.18 micron 7450. Packaging will presumably be the same 29x29 sq mm 483 lead BGA that the current 7450 has. This is slightly larger packaging than the 7410 G4 (25x25 sq mm), but it shouldn't matter. Apple will save board area by not using backside cache anyways.

The power threshold for Apple's portable CPU seems to be about 6 to 8 Watts. Both the 600 MHz 7440 or 700 MHz 7460 seem suitable. Of course Motorola could make it even better by producing a 1.3V G4, but what can you do.

So, if Apollo is mass produced in Q4 01 along with the 7440, we'll probably see a 600 or 700 MHz Powerbook G4, 1 GHz Power Mac G4, a 600 or 700 MHz LCD iMac G4, a 600 MHz iBook G3 and a cheap 600 MHz CRT iMac G3 in early 2002.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2001, 08:33 PM

San Fran might be a very big show. It's possible that everything or at least three out of four products could recieve extensive revisions.

Both IBM and Mot's roadmaps point to SOI .13u altivec enabled procs in production in Q1 2002.

Jobs made a point of saying no new hardware untill that time. If, as rumor suggests, Apple is working closer than ever with PPC designers, then perhaps Apple has figured it is better to keep making what the can during this generally slow market. They won't rush anything new to a lukeware reception, rather they'll wait untill they can get a big supply of components that they can then apply to a whole new generation of computers. This would take time, rather than let people down, they'll just wait on the products.

Then again, we're talking Apple here. Maybe just new patterns? Dalmation PowerMac anyone???
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2001, 12:07 AM

From a marketing standpoint, it is tremendously unlikely Apple would release Powerbooks more powerful than their desktops. P�rhaps I should be more careful with my use of 'powerful;' dual 800's may outperform 1GHz processors, but the public won't think so!

Why don't we dream for a second? Wouldn't it be nice (understatement) if Apple just shocked us.? I mean, really, really shocked us. What if they did something like release 2GHz G4 PowerMacs, 1.2 GHz Powerbooks, and so on? It's a shame that the company we once knew for its suprises is now the one we know to never hold our breath for while longing for dreams to come true.

But I still love Apple all the same.

- Pook
It's the devil's way now.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2001, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by PookJP:
<STRONG>Why don't we dream for a second? Wouldn't it be nice (understatement) if Apple just shocked us.? I mean, really, really shocked us. What if they did something like release 2GHz G4 PowerMacs, 1.2 GHz Powerbooks, and so on? It's a shame that the company we once knew for its suprises is now the one we know to never hold our breath for while longing for dreams to come true.
</STRONG>
That's the way to think, PookJP. I love Apple. Even if their chips are slower, and a PC could do the same job I do on my Mac faster, I would still buy Apple products.

I have five Macs in my house, and they are the greatest pieces of machinery I have ever owned, with a close second being my Minivan with two 12" MTX subs in the trunk. I have always used Apple, and I always will.

Apple has something that the PC industry doesn't. Apple is its own entity, whereas there is a whole industry of PCs, and not one company left to "Think Different". Apple stands out, and that's why I buy their machines.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Forum Links
Forum Rules