Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > GrayKey: iPhone unlocker

GrayKey: iPhone unlocker
Thorzdad
Apr 17, 2018, 08:09 AM

Grayshift, an Atlanta-based company, makes a device they call GrayKey, which can unlock a passcode-protected iPhone. Grayshift provides the device exclusively to law enforcement agencies.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2018, 08:48 AM

Looks like zero day is back on the menu, boys.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 17, 2018, 12:40 PM

So counting Cellebrite, we now have two firms cracking iPhones. Apple needs to up the bug bounties.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2018, 12:44 PM

So, realistically, Apple will be able to get their hands on one, right?

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 18, 2018, 08:06 AM

Good question. Grayshift seems to be very strict about only working directly with law enforcement agencies, and I have to assume their contract includes language forbidding the device be shared with anyone outside of law enforcement, especially Apple. But, where there's a will, there's a way.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2018, 03:45 AM

I imagine given knowledge of the device and discussion around how it works and specifically the time it takes to perform unlocks, Apple will have a solid idea how it is working and how to combat it.

Its amazing how people have achieved this despite Apples control of the hardware, software and integration of security into both.

Computers eh?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 29, 2018, 01:13 PM

I’ve had a bit if time to digest this, and my first reaction is still my major reaction.

Just because Grayshift is only selling these devices to law enforcement does NOT mean that the devices will STAY in the hands of law enforcement. All sorts of “cool stuff” finds its way out of the police station and winds up in “the wrong hands.”

Unless they stick with selling only to high-level agencies (some, but not all state police, the FBI (not local offices), etc.), there’s a good chance that Joe Hacker will get his hands on one or more GrayKey devices. Really soon, too. Once that happens, they’ll be cloned and on the black market in a matter of months. And then those pesky “you need a warrant to inspect that phone” rules are moot.

This is really bad on a number of levels.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules