Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook or Powerbook? Help!!!!!!

iBook or Powerbook? Help!!!!!!
Faulty_Toast
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 01:13 PM

Hi, I've been thinking about this a lot and really can't make up my mind. I need a laptop for use in school and at home, I'll be using it for internet, word processing, cd (mabye dvd) burning, and some video editing probably. I have a dual 2.0 ghz G5 Rev. B at my house so I can use it for any really intense video stuff. Basically I'm stuck between the 12" Powerbook and 12" iBook, I need it to be very portable so the 12" is really the only option. The iBook has a better battery life which is nice, but a smaller hard drive, and no dvd burner, also, I hear the iBook gets scratched easily. Hoping someone can help me decide here!!! Any suggestions would help!!! Thanks.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 25, 2005, 01:41 PM

I'd go for the iBook.

You have a G5 so i'd leave the video stuff up to that.

In my opinion the iBook would be better for taking out and about as it's stronger.
Yes it scratches but scratches can't cause damage to internal components like dents can and if you scratch the iBook and then need to take it for repair, Apple won't say you've damaged it and it's your fault it's broken like they would do if you dented the Powerbook.

So basically - iBook.

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2005, 03:22 PM

Another vote for iBook. It's more than sufficient for a 2nd machine.

Chris

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 25, 2005, 03:27 PM

And perfectly viable as a main machine like mine.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2005, 03:50 PM

iBook - no doubt.

ghettochild
Oct 30, 2005, 02:22 AM

go for the iBook.

I have a 12" 1.33 GHz iBook w/ a 60GB HDD in addition to my 17" 2.0 GHz iMac and I'm quite happy w/ it.

you can avoid scratches simply by being careful, and, by the way, the PB isn't safe from scratches either. as for the (lack of a) DVD burner, do you really need to burn DVDs on the go?

the iBook's battery by far outdoes the PB battery and the price difference of about $400 is another big plus for the iBook.

again, go for the iBook. you won't regret it.
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

chad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 10:30 AM

I just got the 12" iBook and I couldn't be happier with its performance and value. In almost every way it is a better deal than the powerbook at this time, not to mention it will be less of a heartbreak when the new mactels come out in a while and make all the book series seem a bit lackluster. Apply the screen spanning doctor patch and you'll have closed the gap between the two machines even closer. One other thing to think about is filling it up with ram...Good luck

iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 30, 2005, 12:05 PM

But what about build quality? I'm thinking of getting a 14" for my mum, but compared with the powerbooks, the plastic panels seem far too flexible - what do those who have one think?

David

Voodoogmr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 12:36 PM

My wife has a 12" Powerbook, and I just got the 12" iBook (in addition to my 20" iMac). The PB is slightly smaller and thinner. While I do like the sleeker look of the PB, it certainly wasn't enough to justify spending an extra $500. I only needed one for surfing the Net and for doing simple presentations for work. My wife's PB is her primary computer, so she wanted one with a DVD burner.

The PB does have better performance since it not only has a faster CPU (among other things), but the hard drive is 5400rpm, as opposed to the iBook's 4200rpm. But for normal use, it still didn't justify the higher price.

The PB does feel a bit more solid than the iBook. However, the iBook doesn't feel fragile, and the flexing of the case isn't nearly as bad as my Dell laptop. I am very impressed with how solid it feels.

I'm very pleased with my iBook. Highly recommended.
iMac 24", 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 750GB hdd
Powerbook G4, 12", 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB hdd
iPod 5G - 30GB

Helmling
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2005, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by iMacfan
But what about build quality? I'm thinking of getting a 14" for my mum, but compared with the powerbooks, the plastic panels seem far too flexible - what do those who have one think?

David
Actually, I think the plastic's probably better. I've owned neither, but I've seen how the PB's can get dented pretty easily at work. The iBook shell is, I believe, much more durable. But maybe someone else knows otherwise.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2005, 03:31 PM

If you are a student, there are excellent iBook specials at some schools. The University of Oregon Bookstore has 12" iBooks (previous generation) for $649/$699 and they will ship it. The price includes a Mini iPod or $179 credit towards a regular iPod should the Minis be sold-out.

At that price it is a No Brainer to get an iBook rather than a PowerBook.

I got my 1GHZ iBook last year at the U of O for $649; I could not pass up the deal.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2005, 04:08 PM

I was in the same boat and ended up picking the iBook for a handful of personal reasons. The screens isn't any larger on the PowerBook and it was my first laptop, so I thought I would take it easy to ensure that I liked it (I do).

$500 will give you a DVD burner, a metal case (vs. plastic) somewhat faster computer, nicer graphics card, larger hard drive and a few other minor things.

ALSO: I'm only planning on having this computer for ~2 years. This should get me through the PPC to x86 transition.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling
Actually, I think the plastic's probably better. I've owned neither, but I've seen how the PB's can get dented pretty easily at work. The iBook shell is, I believe, much more durable. But maybe someone else knows otherwise.

The iBook shell is durable, but it scratches rather easily. Mine looks great from a few feet away, but I can see the permanent scuff marks from having it in my bag.

njwidmann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2005, 10:31 PM

I have a ibook I purchased recently and it is great it gets scratched but you can barely notice them.
so i would say go with the ibook.

Stinkysteve
Nov 7, 2005, 11:33 PM

Another vote for the iBook here.

I have a G4 800 and this machine is great!

Just get the AppleCare for it.

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2005, 11:57 PM

I'd go with the ibook, it's a very capable machine.

btw, if you consider getting a 14'' instead, contact me. I'm selling a like new 14''/1.33GHz/768MB/80GB system with a lot of extras.

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2005, 11:59 PM

I'd go with the ibook, it's a very capable machine.

btw, if you consider getting a 14'' instead, contact me. I'm selling a like new 14''/1.33GHz/768MB/80GB system with a lot of extras.

yuanjuhn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 08:43 AM

If you already have a Powermac at home, I'd pick an ibook over the powerbook just based on price/performance considerations.

I've had my ibook as my main computer for the last 14 months and I'm happy with it. Would be even happier if I had a G5 for occasional RAW processing.

far200
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 01:27 AM

I'd agree with the majority here...... get the ibook it will be a good investment for the money and the ibook will put up with some abuse..... I have a 14 inch 1.33 ibook that I take with me everywhere and I haven't had any problems.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2005, 07:38 AM

I had an ibook because I was on a budget and I got the 12" inch one for portability. It did me just fine but I would say the build quality was quite poor. Nothing seemed to fit very flush - the cd drive stuck out a bit as well as the battery and the trackpad looked like it was peeling off after a while - it raised up at the corner. The trackpad also quickly became unusable as movements were too erratic. The keyboard had soft key presses but felt very cheap and tacky. The display looked quite washed out too.

My point is you get what you pay for in this instance.

Now, although the powerbook is better quality, I would probably recommend the ibook given that Apple will probably make Intel based notebooks in the next few months.

99RedSi
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by osxrules
I had an ibook because I was on a budget and I got the 12" inch one for portability. It did me just fine but I would say the build quality was quite poor. Nothing seemed to fit very flush - the cd drive stuck out a bit as well as the battery and the trackpad looked like it was peeling off after a while - it raised up at the corner. The trackpad also quickly became unusable as movements were too erratic. The keyboard had soft key presses but felt very cheap and tacky. The display looked quite washed out too.

My point is you get what you pay for in this instance.

Now, although the powerbook is better quality, I would probably recommend the ibook given that Apple will probably make Intel based notebooks in the next few months.
My 12" iBook (latest model revision) doesn't have this problem so it's not the entire line that has this issue....
Mac Mini C2D 1.83/1/80/10.5.5
iMac G4 20" Superdrive 1.25/1.25/80/10.4.9
iBook G4 12" 1.33/512/40/10.4.9
iPod Video 30GB / Shure e4c Earbuds

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2005, 10:33 PM

I went from a 12" PowerBook to the latest revision 14" iBook and have no regrets...Its a very solid machine, and it runs much cooler.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 04:21 AM

Ok, well here's my question. As a potential switcher (yep, I'm still technically a Windows user, though hopefully not for long), my biggest concern is about gaming. What type of games will either of these run? I'd definitely go for a 12" iBook otherwise (poor college student who can get a good deal on one), but will it be able to play, for instance, Halo or Sims 2? I know that 32 megs of VRAM is nothing for gaming in the PC world, but I have no clue about Macs.

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
Ok, well here's my question. As a potential switcher (yep, I'm still technically a Windows user, though hopefully not for long), my biggest concern is about gaming. What type of games will either of these run? I'd definitely go for a 12" iBook otherwise (poor college student who can get a good deal on one), but will it be able to play, for instance, Halo or Sims 2? I know that 32 megs of VRAM is nothing for gaming in the PC world, but I have no clue about Macs.
I doubt either of those games would run very smoothly.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
The graphics chip in the iBook is middle-of-the-pack from 3 generations ago. Both will run at low resolution/quality; it's up to you if that's considered playable.
VRAM is VRAM, and OSX may need even more than Windows because the OS uses more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules