Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Firmware 1.0 made my macbook louder

Firmware 1.0 made my macbook louder
eldt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 11:12 AM

So it seems a lot of you are happy about the new firmware 1.0 update and that it's solved your macbook's mooing issues. Well I never had a mooing problem but figured I'd update the firmware anyway. Now my fan's are on constantly and I'm not even hammering the computer. The fans will not shut off!! I'm running at 63C and they're on and very audible. My roommate across the room last night asked if my computer was making "that noise" and yes it's my beautiful macbook.

Does anyone know at what temp the fans are supposed to shut off now with firmware 1.0? And is there any way I can revert back to the old firmware? This thing is just way too loud.
MacBook 2.0Ghz White - 1GB, 80GB HDD
-and a few others-

kaido
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2006, 03:52 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. My fans kick in full-blast and it seems louder than a desktop since it's right in front of you.

<--- mad

monkeybutler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 05:27 PM

That is one reason I really DONT think this is the solution to the heat issue. Just like with a car engine, most computer fans are almost inaudible when its new. But over time dust, lubrication or whatever start getting to it and the fan starts making noise. In this case then a fan thats always on will wear down faster AND will become noisier pretty quick so this is going to be a bigger problem as time goes on.

I have a 2 year old Centrino notebook that runs at 47C consistantly for the start. The fan used to kick in only when doing heavy processor work and i didnt even know it. Now it kicks in once in a while and i can definitely tell. Its not bad since its so infrequent but I couldnt imagine life with a loud fan that doesnt stop.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2006, 07:51 PM

Ran the update on my wife's MacBook. Worked as advertised - runs cooler and I can't hear any increase in noise. The comments I've seen on this are all over the map, but most folks seem satisfied.

Edit - During some very heavy use with the power adapter connected, the fans came on more quickly and stayed on longer. I suspect this is the way the MacBook was originally designed to work. During normal use, however, the fans are either off or inaudible.
( Last edited by The Ancient One; Aug 25, 2006 at 09:37 PM. )
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

bradoz71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 07:57 PM

My fans rarely kicked on but after the firmware they go full blast every once in a while.
Macbook Air | 1.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo | 2 GB | 80 GB
Macbook (Black, Week 22) | 2.0 Ghz Core Duo | 2 GB | 120 GB
Mac Mini | 1.25 Ghz G4 | 40 GB | 1 GB
iPods | Touch 16 GB | 4G 20 GB | 5G 30 GB (White) | Nano 2 GB (Black) | 2G Shuffle 1 GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 04:10 AM

If you guys are constantly hearing loud fans, check out ActivityMonitor or top -u and see what kind of processes are gobbling up CPU cycles. I applied the update to my BlackBook and in a silent room at 68F/20C ambient temp I can't hear the fans when I let it idle.

mrplow
Aug 26, 2006, 05:14 AM

im very very very very happy with the update- my machine is 15 degrees cooler now, the fans rev up only when doing something that works the machine which is selddom.. and even still, i prefer the thing being cool than dead silent in this scenario, it's kinda like bitching about your exhaust being loud when you rev the engine........

Forum Links
Forum Rules