Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Lost all my data. Great. Most advanced OS.

Lost all my data. Great. Most advanced OS. (Page 4)
swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 24, 2002, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Evan DiBiase:
<STRONG>

Make sure to firebomb it, taking great pains to ensure that all of your valuable personal items are inside before doing so.</STRONG>
Bravo!

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2002, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<STRONG>-CDs are having problems booting and the problem is getting worse with each try. CD based utils would be useless if I coudn't boot them.

I think the problem might not just be with the HD, it might be, but also with the IDE controller.</STRONG>

So take it to a repair shop.

Sounds for all the world like a hardware problem if the above is the case.

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2002, 11:58 PM

<STRONG>One of &lt;the Hard Disks&gt; did not show up under OS9 so I initialised it and all the data was there in tact.</STRONG>
Okay, there's something funny with this post. This is just bollocks. Initialising a hard disk deletes all the data (from the OS' point of view), even if it doesn't actually erase the data physically. This is the point of initialising. What DOES initialsing do, if not re-write the partition table???

<STRONG>Then there are those who say 'back up into another drive'. Great. I didn't know I had to buy multiple drives for a consumer all in one computer that should not fall over after three weeks.</STRONG>

Well now you do

We live and learn, eh?

[ 03-24-2002: Message edited by: Brass ]

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2002, 12:01 AM

<STRONG>Of course in a Power Mac or PC I have always had two HDs. One for backing up. But that isn't something that people can do with an iMac unless one invests in external HDs. But I really have no need for such a thing.</STRONG>
Ahem... except the need for backups

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2002, 12:02 AM

Just get in a coffin and die already.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2002, 12:08 AM

<STRONG>OK, geezers. I succumbed to the best back up solution I could find. An iPod.</STRONG>
Now you're talking! I wish I could afford to backup that way

If you can afford to buy an iPod, you may also want to purchase some disk utility software... seems you can afford it... or could... maybe not after the iPod

[ 03-24-2002: Message edited by: Brass ]

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Mar 26, 2002, 05:28 PM

I got off the phone with Apple. Yesterday they kept me hanging on the phone for a total of one and a half hours, today I had better luck. Apparently my logic board and hard disc are faulty. So using one of those disk utilities would not have worked anyway because they simply would not have been able to load properly from the CD or see the HD anyway.

So the machine is going to Apple this week and it takes ten working days to repair. I also got a strange phonecall today from a company who wants to know about my experience. They left a message on my machine asking me to call them back. Don't know who they are as I can't work out their company name on the message.

As for backing up, everyday on my iPod, baby. I just wish I could find a decent slim case as the iPod looks to scratch and get dirty to easy. I want to cover the firewire port too.

diamondsw
Senior User
Mar 26, 2002, 07:04 PM

<STRONG>There was no other route. Without the hard disc mounted the data could not be backed up anyway. Also, the data is not zero'd until you check the 'zero all data' option. But there is still no app to retrieve data before you zero the drive. The data is still there but unseen.

Also, the apologists should know that such a thing can happen at any time. Should we back up every day? </STRONG>
Well, yes. Or at least every week or so. The general rule is "Can you live with losing what's not backed up?". Some people that means daily. For me, weekly or when I feel like it (admittedly, after years of not backing up and always being a bit nervous that my beta software and hackish doings would do me in).

Also, just because a drive won't mount doesn't necessarily mean it can't be repaired. Norton can frequently repair unmountable disks, as can DiskWarrior sometimes. I usually use Norton to get it to mountability, then DiskWarrior to clean up the mess. Haven't lost a thing in years (but now I do backup frequently).

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2002, 07:05 PM

<STRONG>
As for backing up, everyday on my iPod, baby. I just wish I could find a decent slim case as the iPod looks to scratch and get dirty to easy. I want to cover the firewire port too.</STRONG>
This bag is great and covers the firewire port (not totally but well protected.)

Cheers Edd

impromp101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2002, 07:53 PM

I agree, sounds like a hardware problem more than an OS/software one. Certainly initializing turned it into a hardware problem. Let's face it, every manufacturer makes lemons.

One nice thing about the default organization of OSX (i.e. home area, etc.), is that you only need to backup your apps and home area. Leave the system alone (unless you've updated...in which case you could just copy the updaters and retain your original OSX installer CD).

I agree, it would be nice to have CD-RW burning from the finder...a DVD-RAM disk is even better. But the fact is having CD-R built into the finder is nice already. If having multiple CD-R backups is an issue, it would be worthwhile investing in software that supports CD-RW. Personally, I use Zips for temporary backups and CD-R for full backups. Soon I'll move to an external firewire drive for backups and CD-R for archiving.

Does anyone here use disk copy to backup their HD?

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2002, 08:09 PM

As for backing up, everyday on my iPod, baby. I just wish I could find a decent slim case as the iPod looks to scratch and get dirty to easy. I want to cover the firewire port too.
Damn, this person never quits bitching do they?

You know, CD-R work great for backing up data and cost a bit less than an iPod, You didn't need an iPod for data backup. In fact I wouldn't use the iPod for backing up critical data, since the entire point of a backup is to store the data someplace secure and safe. An iPod is not exactly "safe", since one tends to carry it around all over. What if you're data is lost on your HD, and then you drop the iPod and it smashes to pieces? Some backup.

But I suppose if you simply backed up all your data on CD-R, you wouldn't have anything to come here and bitch about. If you're for real, I feel sorry for those around you. They must be good listeners....I bet you hang out with your friends and talk about one thing: yourself. Don't you love people like that?
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

NeilCharter
Senior User
Mar 26, 2002, 09:00 PM

Damn, this person never quits bitching do they?
Maybe that's the point. Or else it could be just an opportunity to show off how much cash he has to throw out on devices.

Whatever the reason, I don't see any point in dealing with this guy anymore. Seems to me that he is not really interested in listening to people's advice.

Plenty of people have pointed out the various ways to backup, to which all were ignored.

Most have pointed out that there are a number of viable disk repair and recovery systems. All were ignored.

Quite a few mentioned the fact that the drive etc could be bad. That turns out to be what Apple thinks. Of course the guy wasted his time doing some idiotic drive formating.

So what does this lead you to conclude? Probably that there's no point trying to help such people since they probably didn't want the help in the first place.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

Cowpoke37
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2002, 01:41 AM

Um - for your information:

Zeroing a drive can take HOURS not minutes. You obviously now squat about computers and are probably the cause of the problem in the fursy place - and i bet your Technician was aschool mate who has an apple.

Your lack of experience in no way should be directed towards apple. every problem you have started yourslef and your inability to take advice shows this to be true. You are immature and offensive. Other people (except ShyWizard), make compaints and listen to what others have to say. They appreciate the assistance that people give them on this forum.

Not every one is against OSX as you seem to think. Most poeple qwhi understand it and use it properly have no problems. The people who do have recurring priblems tend to have a lot of beta software, try to do things they now they cant do like force priviledges, delete folders they shouldnt and try to use unsupported hardware and siftware , thinking they can get away with it. Then they turn around and blame apple for not providing drivers for 3rd party stuff.

You really need to sit back and think wether you are mature enough to use Mac OSX. I dont think are!

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2002, 02:36 AM

So, lemme get this straight:

1) You had a kernal panic at boot.
2) You booted into OS 9 using the CD.
3) You got a message that your drive was not initialized and it asked if you wanted to initialize it.
4) You clicked "Yes".

You didn't even zap the PRAM. Or reset the power manager. Or take out 3rd party RAM. These are basic steps you should have taken. Moron. Moron. Moron.

That's it? Those were the steps you took to fix your problem? You've got to be kidding me. Are you an idiot? I'm sorry, but you did absolutely nothing to try to recover that one invaluable (3 week old) file. Don't whine and complain. You are a moron. A complete and utter moron. Just send that iMac over this way where it will be treated right.

Some things that you could have tried: fsck -y in single user mode. Target disk mode (do you even know what that is?). Disk First Aid under OS 9 and OS X.

-t

ps - if it was just 1 file that you needed to back up and you want 'floppy' like functionality why don't you just use a floppy? Because it would cost money? I guess your time isn't valuable so why are you complaining about wasting it?

[edit: I just finished reading this thread and realized that most of the steps I suggested would have done nothing to help the situation. But that doesn't change the fact that you're still a Moron. Even with a faulty logic board or whatever the problem was you wouldn't have lost your data if you hadn't initialized and then tried to zero your drive (a decidely non-consumer thing to do. More non-consumer than backing up, I'd say. Some problems in your logic, perhaps?)
]

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 27, 2002, 05:20 AM

Obviously the bastards who are still replying with insults have failed to notice that the machine has been diagnosed as FAULTY from the logic board up!

-Resetting PRAM = useless
-Trying to recover the HD = useless
-Trying to use CD based utilities = useless

Get it?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2002, 08:59 AM

One bad apple spoils the whole bunch, eh Kelly?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2002, 10:25 AM

<STRONG>Obviously the bastards who are still replying with insults have failed to notice that the machine has been diagnosed as FAULTY from the logic board up!</STRONG>
If the logic board was defect, it was useless and unnecessary to initialize the hard drive. The defect logic board didn't erase your data.

I hat the usual blaming the victim, and I'm sorry that you lost important data, but face it - you made an error here.

Now learn from it and think about your future backup strategy. Or, if you really want to blame someone for it, blame Apple for not bundling a simple backup application with OS X.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2002, 10:49 AM

"So using one of those disk utilities would not have worked anyway because they simply would not have been able to load properly from the CD or see the HD anyway."

Not necessarily true. Using a disk utility wouldn't have fixed your logic board. But it's entirely possible (I would guess even likely from your description of the experience, you could boot from CD at least some of the time) that it could have allowed you to recover your data that you hadn't backed up.

derbs
Senior User
Mar 27, 2002, 11:44 AM

right that's it! if i hear one more self-righteous backing-up story i'm going to lose it

Kelly's got a point - backing up is a pain in the arse. Not in my office, for example, that has a tape drive on the network and retrospect set up. I'm talking a new iMac, at home, on its own, with just a modem connection to the outside world. The only option is CR-RW. Without any backup software, who in their right mind is going to go through and check all their modified files and do an incremental backup manually?

At home, i just get round to backing up roughly every 6 months...

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2002, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by derbs:
<STRONG>right that's it! if i hear one more self-righteous backing-up story i'm going to lose it

Kelly's got a point - backing up is a pain in the arse.</STRONG>
But that's what I said! Kelly would have a point if he would have blamed Apple for not bundling an easy to use backup software with OS X.

But expecting an OS - how advanced it may be - to run error free and uninterrupted on defective hardware is just unreasonable.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2002, 01:04 PM

Question:

Seems as good (or bad) a thread as any to ask if DVD-R disks can be used to backup data with the Superdrive in the new iMacs?

Also the Superdrives are also capable of using DVD-RW disks, but does Apple's software support this?

TIA

Smircle
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2002, 01:27 PM

Whow this is by far the most funny thread I have ever read here. To recoup it:
In walks a guy who has just initialized his drive (with a helping hand from some Apple tech) to _regain_ (no sir, not lose) his data, blasting Apple for delivering junk.

Then a feeding frenzy of self-righteous morons develops which "could have told ya" tells him its his own fault thereby completely ignoring:
a) the machine died right under his hands
b) it should have covered by warranty
c) the producer is incapable of easing the situation but has in fact worsened it.

To make matters more fun, Kelly is irate (somehow understandable) and completely incapable of understanding that a consumer computer is not as fail-safe as Root Server A (which proves, to everybodies surprise, that a $2000 machine is not of the same quality as a $2mio). Which prompts the intellectual deadbeats into supposing he has to be either a woman (one of those lifeforms which are not capable of thinking at all) or a PC-user (the other of those lifeforms).

Appearantly noone ever thought about the possibility that the machine might be a lemon. In between we have the occasional demands to use Norton, Diskwarrior et al - great advice on a machine that will not boot from anything. Kelly then makes a fool out of himself revealing the fact that he sold a Tibook because "the paint chipped off".

So, now what? Seems the idea of a computer-user that the data on the HD should be safe _there_ is completely alien to most people (who would by the way cry fould murder if their paper filing cabinet one day out of the blue exploded). Seems the same people are expecting nothing but shoddy workmanship on HDs and find it completely normal that Apple as the vendor has neither a backup system nor capable personnel nor RAID support in their machines to prevent the worst.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2002, 01:53 PM

I always have a folder on my HD called 'Back Up in which apps and docs go into. Once that folder gets big enough I copy it to CD.
Eh? I think backing up a series of files only on the same disk as the original is lunacy. In the very least, consider backing up on a different partition, but even that I think isn't particularly safe. If the files are important, they MUST be also saved on a separate physical disk, whether it be a floppy, a networked computer, a zip disk, an external hard drive, or a CD-R.
Originally posted by macaddled:
<STRONG>Er, Eug, you may want to reread the first sentence from Kelly that you quoted. </STRONG>
??? My statements still stands if this first quote is what you're referring to. If you save your files twice on the same disk and the disk goes, what point is there to doing this? It may be weeks until the folder is full enough to fill a CD-R. A lot of important work can thus be potentially lost. Thus, this backup method is basically flawed, unless it's on a different hard drive (like his new iPod idea).

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2002, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by torifile:
<STRONG>So, lemme get this straight:

1) You had a kernal panic at boot.
2) You booted into OS 9 using the CD.
3) You got a message that your drive was not initialized and it asked if you wanted to initialize it.
4) You clicked "Yes".

You didn't even zap the PRAM. Or reset the power manager. Or take out 3rd party RAM. These are basic steps you should have taken. Moron. Moron. Moron.

That's it? Those were the steps you took to fix your problem? You've got to be kidding me. Are you an idiot? I'm sorry, but you did absolutely nothing to try to recover that one invaluable (3 week old) file. Don't whine and complain. You are a moron. A complete and utter moron. Just send that iMac over this way where it will be treated right.

Some things that you could have tried: fsck -y in single user mode. Target disk mode (do you even know what that is?). Disk First Aid under OS 9 and OS X.

-t

ps - if it was just 1 file that you needed to back up and you want 'floppy' like functionality why don't you just use a floppy? Because it would cost money? I guess your time isn't valuable so why are you complaining about wasting it?

[edit: I just finished reading this thread and realized that most of the steps I suggested would have done nothing to help the situation. But that doesn't change the fact that you're still a Moron. Even with a faulty logic board or whatever the problem was you wouldn't have lost your data if you hadn't initialized and then tried to zero your drive (a decidely non-consumer thing to do. More non-consumer than backing up, I'd say. Some problems in your logic, perhaps?)
]

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</STRONG>
Zap the PRAM? That rarely does anything so don't waste your time.
Dan

macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2002, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
<STRONG>It may be weeks until the folder is full enough to fill a CD-R. </STRONG>
Ah, ok. I suppose it depends on what kind of work you do and how much data you're creating. I usually generate a few CD-Rs worth of material every 2-3 days, and am trying to determine if the $400 lufthansa voucher I'm cashing in will go towards a) a superdrive, b) a new guitar, or c) Ableton Live.

mbryda
Senior User
Mar 27, 2002, 04:10 PM

<STRONG>

Secondly, this is the first time ANY OS has crashed so badly before boot up and I've used just about all the OSes since the Dragon 32. This was a </STRONG>
You've never seen NT do it? I'm an NT tech by day and Mac user by night and I've seen more than my share of NT/2000/XP BSOD on boot. Even seen 95/98 hand on boot bad too. It's just a byproduct of modern OS's. It's just not OSX - they all can and do do it.

-Matt

PS: You should backup, but I'm not going to beat that horse.

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2002, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by DannyVTim:
<STRONG>

Zap the PRAM? That rarely does anything so don't waste your time.</STRONG>
Really, the point was that he didn't even take the basic steps one should take when doing troubleshooting. In fact, I have trouble believing that the Apple Tech didn't ask him to do that first. I bet the tech did and Kelly told him he did, but he didn't. I think that Kelly misled the tech into believing he did everything possible and the only step left was to initialize.

Really, what it boils down to is that Kelly complains that backing up is not a consumer activity but he zeroes his hard drive. Something I, as a pro user, have NEVER done. Not a consumer level activity. And his initializing the computer caused him COMPLETELY unnecessary data loss because the HD was likely unaffected. It has nothing to do with OS X. So quit yer bitchin' and get a job.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2002, 04:57 PM

i dont hardly ever back up. My disk crashes all the time with all the stuff I download. I just start up with techtool pro then use my fire wire cable that comes with every mac and plug in to one of my friends computers and start moving my datat from the "unmounted drive" onto the laptop or whatever I have. If you dont have a fire wire cable you should of bought one. The drive doesn't need to be mounted or repairable to get data from it.

diamondsw
Senior User
Mar 27, 2002, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by derbs:
<STRONG>Kelly's got a point - backing up is a pain in the arse. Not in my office, for example, that has a tape drive on the network and retrospect set up. I'm talking a new iMac, at home, on its own, with just a modem connection to the outside world. The only option is CR-RW. Without any backup software, who in their right mind is going to go through and check all their modified files and do an incremental backup manually?

At home, i just get round to backing up roughly every 6 months...</STRONG>
Apparently you haven't read the thread. Try an external hard drive. At $200 for 80GB firewire (at AlinaMicro), it's cheaper than most CDRW, and allows you to backup everything you have in probably an hour using Disc Copy. How much simpler and easier can you get??

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 27, 2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by mbryda:
<STRONG>

You've never seen NT do it? I'm an NT tech by day and Mac user by night and I've seen more than my share of NT/2000/XP BSOD on boot. Even seen 95/98 hand on boot bad too. It's just a byproduct of modern OS's. It's just not OSX - they all can and do do it.

-Matt

PS: You should backup, but I'm not going to beat that horse.</STRONG>
They probably can all do it. I've never seen NT/2K do it but I have seen 95/98 do it. Also, the term 'flog a dead horse' means one should not sell a faulty car or argument. It has nothing to do with beating. Sorry, just have to correct the usual English expression that loses its meaning in America.

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 27, 2002, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
<STRONG>One bad apple spoils the whole bunch, eh Kelly?</STRONG>
You didn't read the list of trouble I've had with Apple computers, did you?

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2002, 05:50 PM

<STRONG>

You didn't read the list of trouble I've had with Apple computers, did you?</STRONG>
It's just a saying....

Two bad apples spoils the bunch would not be funny ....

Also if you look at the forum as a whole it seems you are very unlucky as you must have a bad OS X CD (Twice) and a Bad Mac (Twice).

Most people on the whole are happy with their machines.

Cheers Edd

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 27, 2002, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by edddeduck:
<STRONG>

It's just a saying....

Two bad apples spoils the bunch would not be funny ....

Also if you look at the forum as a whole it seems you are very unlucky as you must have a bad OS X CD (Twice) and a Bad Mac (Twice).

Most people on the whole are happy with their machines.

Cheers Edd</STRONG>
Yes, most machines should always run fine from any manufacturer.

BTW, all of you guys who were insulting me for blaming Apple, apparently my problems are Apple's fault. My firmware was bad, thus my logic board was having problems communicating with the drives which led to the crash and the inability to use recovery CDs or access the HD.

Here is what Mac User are saying:

iMac delays linked to firmware glitch.
Documents received by MacUser have confirmed that some flat-panel iMac units have been hit by a firmware problem. It is likely that this contributed to the shipping delays that have plagued Apple in recent weeks.

An article posted to a restricted section of Apple's Knowledge Base online support resource contains details and installation instructions for an iMac firmware update. The file, which is only available to Apple internal staff members and official support providers, updates the firmware on the iMac's SuperDrive which improves compatibility with the Maxtor hard drive. The document says the update is only needed when performing a service repair on a SuperDrive iMac.

Apple declined to comment on why this firmware update was not released to the public. It was probably withheld to avoid further damaging consumer confidence in a machine which is still not widely available almost three months after its launch. The problem will have been rectified on any new machines coming off the production line after the issue was identified, but this would have significantly delayed production.

someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2002, 06:26 PM

<STRONG>

Yes, most machines should always run fine from any manufacturer.

BTW, all of you guys who were insulting me for blaming Apple, apparently my problems are Apple's fault. My firmware was bad, thus my logic board was having problems communicating with the drives which led to the crash and the inability to use recovery CDs or access the HD.

</STRONG>
No. We were complaining that you were blaming OSX. And clearly, this was not the fault of OSX. I never saw you post a retraction about your "most stable operating system" cracks, even when you found out it was a hardware problem (which EVERYONE was telling you). You seem to be very stubborn when it comes to accepting statements/facts from other people.

Bad hardware happens, you can hardly fault Apple for that. Software bugs happen too; get used to it, it's unlikely to change any time in the near future.

Anyway, I'm glad you found your problem and hope it will be fixed soon.
G5 2.5 DP/2GB RAM/NVidia 6800 Ultra
PowerBook Al 1Ghz/768MB RAM
6gb Blue iPod Mini

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 27, 2002, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by someone_else:
<STRONG>

Bad hardware happens, you can hardly fault Apple for that.
Anyway, I'm glad you found your problem and hope it will be fixed soon.</STRONG>
But if Apple is not to blame why are they hiding the firmware update if iMacs have the potential to crash badly? There are lots of consumer level customers out there who have bought a great consumer computer who do not back up regularly. Even if they did back up once a day, the iMac could still go down half a day after a back up and still take important data down. The firmware update should be released and Apple should provide recovery software to anyone who feels that Apple was not honest about the problems.

nobody
Mar 27, 2002, 06:35 PM

I have not read all those 168 posts, so this question may have been already answered:

Did Apples support did not tell you that:
a) That you will loose all data on the drive if you initialize it. And that you only should do this if you are in good health and really dont care about the loss of your private files?
b) That there are helpful people in this cruel world called local dealers who thankfully will take your money and with a 90% chance recover your drive for about $500 if it has no physical hardware failure?

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: nobody ]

JLL
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2002, 06:40 PM

<STRONG>There are lots of consumer level customers out there who have bought a great consumer computer who do not back up regularly. Even if they did back up once a day, the iMac could still go down half a day after a back up and still take important data down.</STRONG>
The consumer level customers won't initialize the hard drive the first chance they get!

If the Mac was brought back to the shop, the data could have been saved.

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: JLL ]
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 27, 2002, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
<STRONG>

The consumer level customers won't initialize the hard drive the first time they get!

If the Mac was brought back to the shop, the data could have been saved.</STRONG>
Saved how and for what reason? CDs could not boot and the data being saved would have been useless if the bad firmware prevented me from using the HD and the OS in the first place.

Read carefully - BAD FIRMWARE. NEED UPDATE. APPLE SAT ON UPDATE. UPDATE STILL NOT AVAILABLE.

JLL
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2002, 07:02 PM

<STRONG>

Saved how and for what reason? CDs could not boot and the data being saved would have been useless if the bad firmware prevented me from using the HD and the OS in the first place.

Read carefully - BAD FIRMWARE. NEED UPDATE. APPLE SAT ON UPDATE. UPDATE STILL NOT AVAILABLE.</STRONG>
Try and read, idiot! The Mac could have been repaired, and the harddrive would have been in perfect condition when you got the Mac back from repair, and if you were lucky your data files weren't among the corrupted ones - but luck seems to avoid you.

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: JLL ]
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2002, 09:45 PM

<STRONG>

Read carefully - BAD FIRMWARE. NEED UPDATE. APPLE SAT ON UPDATE. UPDATE STILL NOT AVAILABLE.</STRONG>

GIVE TO APPLE. APPLE FIX FIRMWARE. MACHINE SEE DRIVE. KELLY USE DRIVE.

DRIVE, KELLY, DRIVE.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2002, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
<STRONG>

DRIVE, KELLY, DRIVE.</STRONG>
hehe

-Owl

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2002, 02:41 AM

Hey Kelly,
Just for you...
"CMS Peripherals has released its 60GB Automatic Backup System Plus, a portable FireWire hard drive that automatically begins the backup procedure as soon as it is connected to the client computer. The 60GB ABSplus sells for US$799. The ABSplus is also available in capacities of 10GB, 20GB, 30GB, and 40GB with prices starting at $279. " http://www.cmsproducts.com/products/usb_abs_mac.htm

midwinter
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 03:05 AM

man, this is an incredibly funny thread. I mean, just the blame game itself is hysterical!

1) My computer is acting funny even though it's brand new.
2) Back up my stuff? nah. It's only one file.
3) Wow, my computer's acting *really* funny now, and it won't boot properly.
4) Better try to fix the drive.
5) Damn Apple to hell for all eternity for not including Norton Utilities or DiskWarrior with OS X! What were they thinking!
6) I willingly initialized my drive without trying any other utilities or tactics for accessing my drive. Damn Apple again for not including for free the utilities that would very probably have allowed me to fix my drive! Or the FireWire cable (readily available at Radio Shack) that would've possibly allowed me to access the drive)! Bastards!
7) Clearly, I had no choice but to reformat the drive.
8) A-ha! There's a rumor that a firmware update was the cause of the iMac shipping delays!
9) Obviously, the iMac shipping delays are related to my problems.
10) Apple "sat" on the firmware update! That's it! That's what caused my hard drive to act all funky! A firmware update! For the optical drive! And stuff!

Hehe.

I really do hope that these problems aren't real, because it sounds like one sick little hard drive.

Cheers
Scott

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2002, 04:20 PM

"apparently my problems are Apple's fault. My firmware was bad, thus my logic board was having problems communicating with the drives which led to the crash and the inability to use recovery CDs or access the HD."

The hardware problems you have had seem to be apple's fault.

But the "lost all my data" problems were your fault as you were the one who initialized the drive that contained your data.

And just for the record, what did they say the problem was when you brought your mac to the shop (since it's obviously under warranty)? And is your problem solved now?

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 28, 2002, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by noisefloor:
<STRONG>
And just for the record, what did they say the problem was when you brought your mac to the shop (since it's obviously under warranty)? And is your problem solved now?</STRONG>
First a faulty HD was diagnosed. Then when it appeared CDs were having problems booting it appeared to be a logic board problem. Then I pointed out that Apple have been sitting on a firmware problem. It seems that the HD can develop errors because of some incompatibility with the Superdrive. An engineer is coming on Tuesday to fix the problem - I hope.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2002, 06:50 PM

<STRONG>...An engineer is coming on Tuesday to fix the problem - I hope.</STRONG>
I hope they will find that it is permanently damaged and you won't get a new replacement for another 6 months because the new imac is back-ordered.

Really, you deserve all of this problems. *giggling like a japanese school girl*

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Mar 28, 2002, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>

Really, you deserve all of this problems. *giggling like a japanese school girl*</STRONG>
I should spank you like a Japanese school girl likes to be spanked.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2002, 04:38 AM

I'm sure you had some very important data on that hard drive Kelly... seeing as you seem to not do anything with your Mac besides reply to your own asinine threads.

I can't believe I just wasted 15 minutes of my life scrolling through this crap. Get a life, take a handfull of cash from the pile in your closet, and go buy some decent utility software. You don't want a hardware problem to cause you to lose data? BACK IT UP. If you do not have the brain power to understand this concept, you deserve to lose it. (darn - all those MacNN posts will be gone forever... what a shame)

Even my mother would have done more to try and save her data before wiping it clean like you did...

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]

iHolger uMax
Mar 29, 2002, 08:06 AM

I lost all my data on all my drives and partitions (25 GB) except for the one with Mac OS X on due to an poorly written installer for iTunes 2.0 for X. Can I blame Apple for this - YES, but I do not go on about it in a 4 page thread.

Backup - NO, and I always go on about how important backup is for my customers. :-)

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: iHolger uMax ]

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2002, 09:57 AM

I just read ALL the posts in this thread...

Kelly is right.

If he owned a Gateway, would you be defending their technical support or their hardware quality?

nope.
*empty space*

Forum Links
Forum Rules