Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > it's disgusting, but I like it

it's disgusting, but I like it
l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2002, 10:20 AM

-Sunmelted oily peanutbutter straight from the jar.

please post yours..

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2002, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by l'ignorante:
-Sunmelted oily peanutbutter straight from the jar.

please post yours..
I put ketchup on my broccoli.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2002, 10:24 AM

Bleu Cheese Dressing on a hamburger yum

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

denim
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2002, 10:32 AM

A little Mountain Dew mixed into vanilla shake. Comes out tasting like a frozen egg nog.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Sep 13, 2002, 10:41 AM

peanut butter and cheese sandwich
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

bewebste
Senior User
Sep 13, 2002, 10:43 AM

Peanut butter and (sweet) pickle sandwich. Yum!

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2002, 11:30 AM

Peanut butter and mustard sandwich.

Ketchup (Catsup, whatever) on french toast. Mmmmmmmmm.

They're both "family things" from my great grandmother, all the way down to my son. We all do it.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2002, 11:34 AM

salt on watermelon (someone here thought it was odd in another post)

ringo
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2002, 11:34 AM

Fried liver and onions........yum yum.

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2002, 11:40 AM

Scat.

Okay, okay - IT WAS A JOKE!

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Sep 13, 2002, 11:40 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 6, 2004 at 01:57 AM. )

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Sep 13, 2002, 11:41 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 6, 2004 at 01:58 AM. )

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2002, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
I was trying to think about it, but I've come to the conclusion that I don't eat 'disgusting' food...

However, I have found that one of the tastiest ways to take psychedelic mushrooms to to add them to a vanilla malt shake with just a dash of real maple syrup.

But I don't do that kind of stuff anymore.

It's too fattening.
i SO need to be hanging out with you.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Sep 13, 2002, 12:46 PM

boardsurfer
Sep 13, 2002, 01:01 PM

grilled cheese with pickles

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2002, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by boardsurfer:
grilled cheese with pickles
Oh, now THAT's just crackmonkey.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Lerkfish
Sep 13, 2002, 01:48 PM

This isn't disgusting, but its unusual, and good to boot!
If you can't have butter or sour cream for dietary reasons, try slathering lowfat Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing on your baked potato instead......yum!

note to daimoni: NOT that I would know about it, but psychedlic shrooms are easily taste-disguised in a pizza with regular shrooms. NOT that I would have known that 25 years ago...cause I WOULDN"T.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2002, 02:45 PM

Another "family" type food predilection: jelly (preferably grape) or jam on a grilled cheese. I didn't know it was out-of-the-ordinary until a waitress at Denny's looked at me strange when I ordered it.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2002, 04:34 PM

peanut butter and honey on cheap white bread. The honey forms a layer of cakey stuff by getting into bubbles in the bread. So the whole thing is crunchy and delicious!

Speaking of which... Monty Python's Crunchy Frog!
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2002, 04:40 PM

a slice of banana between two Lay's potato chips. I concocted that when I was little and I still like it.

christ
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2002, 04:42 PM

Kahlua and milk
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

arrested502
Senior User
Sep 13, 2002, 05:01 PM

I love this topic

Although it's not my own creation, I remember the first time I orderred a Monti Cristo sandwich at Bennigins (Bennigins, I believe is no longer in business around here). Anyway, I'd never ever had one before. Basically it was a deep fried ham, turkey and cheese sandwich, with a nice thick battery crust surrounding it. And they served it with some sort of jelly or jam to dip it into.

At first I thought that was rather odd. I mean who, in thier right mind dips a meat and melted cheese sandwich into jelly? But I tried it and I loved it. The sweet taste of the jelly sort of counterred the other flavors and made it a most enjoyable eating experience. I really wish they were still around here, because those Monti Cristo's were addictive.

Anyway, I just know I have some unusual recipes of my own I can share, so when I can think of them I'll post back here.
"Devil ether, it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor skills. Blurred vision. No balance. Numb Tongue. The mind recoills in horror. Unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interresting, because you can watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it"

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Sep 13, 2002, 05:02 PM

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Sep 13, 2002, 05:04 PM

you got me windows media player

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Sep 14, 2002, 12:46 AM

One of my favorite delights that has raised a few eyebrows:

A big bowl of vanilla ice cream, covered in chocolate syrup, with a big ol' glass of orange juice to wash it all down.

Another take on the ice cream: big bowl of ice cream, a layer of carmel syrup, three or four good sized globs of peanut butter, a layer of chocolate syrup, topped off with chopped nuts and chocolate chips (nothing like holding 5000 calaries in the palm of your hand )

I've done the grilled-cheese and jelly before...good stuff. Introduced to me and my brother by a family friend from Somolia.

Kaner
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2002, 12:56 AM

3. grilled cheese and pickles, have you tried it, they were meant to be together
2. kahlua and milk, thats pretty much just a white russian, a common drink

but this one is the best of all...can't get enough

1. raw ground chuck with salt

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2002, 01:24 AM

Ham, potato chip, peanut butter and hot English mustard sandwiches.

Elvis ain't got nothin' on me.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2002, 02:51 AM

Heh. When I was little we ran out of jelly. So my dad made peanut butter and butter sandwiches. Not bad, but I wouldn't eat them every day. He also crunches up crackers and eats them like cereal (in a bowl, with milk... like normal people would).

Personally I don't eat anything weird. Well, maybe it's weird that I munch on croutons like some people eat potato chips...

arrested502
Senior User
Sep 14, 2002, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by keekeeree:
Another take on the ice cream: big bowl of ice cream, a layer of carmel syrup, three or four good sized globs of peanut butter, a layer of chocolate syrup, topped off with chopped nuts and chocolate chips (nothing like holding 5000 calaries in the palm of your hand )
That's almost exactly how I'd make one too, but add a slathering of marshmallow fluff and whipped cream. It's decadent.

Another somewhat odd meal my mom would send me off to school with ages ago was cream cheese and jelly sandwiches.
"Devil ether, it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor skills. Blurred vision. No balance. Numb Tongue. The mind recoills in horror. Unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interresting, because you can watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it"

Algernnon
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2002, 10:49 AM

People look at me funny when I mix mayo and catsup together for my fry dipping pleasure.

I'm with stupid
---->

malvolio
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Algernnon:
People look at me funny when I mix mayo and catsup together for my fry dipping pleasure.
Hell, that's just Russian dressing.
Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches! Food of the gods!
Or fried smelts. Little fishes, you slit open the belly and scoop the guts out with your thumb. Then you deep-fry the rest of the fish whole, fins, scales, eyes and all. Sort of like a high-protein potato chip.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Patrick
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2002, 09:31 PM

mmm� peanut butter and bacon� haven't had that in a while.

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
This isn't disgusting, but its unusual, and good to boot!
If you can't have butter or sour cream for dietary reasons, try slathering lowfat Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing on your baked potato instead......yum!
Even better, try their ranch dressing that has bacon in it. I use that whenever I run out of sour cream. But what's this "lowfat"?

arrested502
Senior User
Sep 14, 2002, 09:40 PM

Anything labelled "Lowfat" or "Diet" is for sissies

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2002, 09:53 PM

How `bout this:

Scrapple

Some people need an explination, so I hope someone else who lived in Philly at one point can clarify.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2002, 10:06 PM

Try Rocky Mountain Oysters mouth watering delisious

hehe

when I worked as a dishwasher in a small diner i grabed what ever i could, usually two pieces of Canadian White bread (JJ Nissan style) buttered and put 4 -5 pieces of slightly under cooked bacon in between and had at it. I could feel my heart slowing down.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

naprestsleep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2002, 10:33 PM

Anyone from Rochester NY or who knows people here will know this one:

TAHOUS!!!!!!!!!
(macaroni salad, home fries, covered with 2 cheese burgers, mustard, onions and the special beef sauce. Can't forget the two slices of stale bread and butter)

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2002, 09:01 AM

Up here in Iceland we eat shark meat that's been left out to rot for several months. Smells like urine, but tastes great - yum...

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2002, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by brien:

I put ketchup on my broccoli.
I put mayo on broccoli and ketchup in my baked potato.

Footy
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2002, 12:29 PM

I have to always have peanut butter sandwiches with my chilli!

They must be cut in half for dipping into the chilli. Oh and I prefer Skippy peanut butter too.

NosniboR80
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2002, 07:42 PM

Drink: one part Southern Comfort; one part Bailey's Irish Cream

Dad's favorite snack (at least I think its his favorite): cottage cheese and french dressing

Favorite Waffle House meal: two eggs scrambled with cheese (this isn't done in your typical way but is only slightly different) with hash browns scattered, covered, and topped (ie scattered on the grill, covered with cheese, and topped with Bert's Famous Chili). But a bite of both in your mouth. Marvelous!
Semper Fi

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2002, 08:27 PM

For a real booster when pulling a 20hr working day, try this:

Get a plate of your favourite milk chocolate and peanut butter - I personally like Hershey's bars and Peter Pan peanut butter.
Break the chocolate down into strips and scoop up a sizable amount of peanut butter with each bite of chocolate before eating. Repeat as required.

This delicacy is best served with a soft drink high in sugar and caffeine content.

- Hugi

arrested502
Senior User
Sep 15, 2002, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by NosniboR80:
Favorite Waffle House meal: two eggs scrambled with cheese (this isn't done in your typical way but is only slightly different) with hash browns scattered, covered, and topped (ie scattered on the grill, covered with cheese, and topped with Bert's Famous Chili). But a bite of both in your mouth. Marvelous!
Damn that sounds good

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 15, 2002, 08:55 PM

pitta bread, stuffed with sliced banana and some nice runny Brie. put that under a real low heat, so it melts slowly without burning. yum.

and yes, that's all i had in the cupboards one day, so i just threw it all together
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

NosniboR80
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2002, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
pitta bread, stuffed with sliced banana and some nice runny Brie. put that under a real low heat, so it melts slowly without burning. yum.

and yes, that's all i had in the cupboards one day, so i just threw it all together
That reminds me of something I always thought I was weird for disliking.

Friends of mine (all of us Europe lovers having spent last fall abroad) bring crazy food tastes with us.

So, one night we are scrounging for food and someone has some very nice french cheese. Nearly everyone says, "Do you have Jelly?"

Another says, "YES!!! I love that. Stick the cheese in the oven for about 20 minutes, with the jelly on top."

So, I'm thinking, with all of this consensus, it MUST be good. So, I'm getting excited, as this is pretty much our dessert. One of the most ridiculously disgusting meal fouls ever. Who does that SH*T!?!? What a waste of great cheese!
Semper Fi

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2002, 09:09 PM

i just had to jump in here....

1) french fries dipped in yellow mustard

2) fried eggs (runny yolks but not whites) sitting on a flour tortilla with tomato slices on top

3) try this, it's just like a twix bar: peanut butter on bread, sprinkle with dry cheerios, drizzle chocolate syrup on it, top with 2nd piece of bread...mmmmmm

4) most people think this is odd, but it works, i swear: dark chocolate and medium sharp cheese.

qotu (ratspittle's wife)

i couldn't help but notice how many of these posts involve peanut butter (the chameleon of the food world)
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2002, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by fat mac moron:
How `bout this:

Scrapple

Some people need an explination, so I hope someone else who lived in Philly at one point can clarify.
Yo. Look at the name...anything with the word CRAP in the middle of it should explain. It's not Spam, its everything from a pig...including it's *******. But boy is it deelish! Great with any breakfast combo...and ketsup.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2002, 09:18 PM

I'm always hungry after watching the movie "Alive"...

And Hanibal...

arrested502
Senior User
Sep 17, 2002, 09:23 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Ratspittle:
i couldn't help but notice how many of these posts involve peanut butter (the chameleon of the food world)

Explain. PB is packed with protien, I'd imaine one coulld probably live off eating peanut butter alone. I just don't get the chameleon of the food world thing.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm picking nits.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2002, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by naprestsleep:
Anyone from Rochester NY or who knows people here will know this one:

TAHOUS!!!!!!!!!
(macaroni salad, home fries, covered with 2 cheese burgers, mustard, onions and the special beef sauce. Can't forget the two slices of stale bread and butter)
Umm.. I'm from Rochester and I don't know that stuff. Did you get it from some restaurant or it's more of Rochester thingy?

fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql&gt; CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Sep 17, 2002, 09:28 PM

I was thinking..
what about chocolate chip mashed potatoes?
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules