Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > State of the router

State of the router
Snow-i
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2017, 04:58 PM

Hi all:

Just got my 1gbps symmetric line installed (webpass by google fiber). My old .11n Time capsule is pulling about 150mbps over 5ghz N (40hz channel). I'm hoping to be able to utilize more of my bandwidth over wireless. I am well versed in networking but haven't really kept up on the router market.

I'm looking to spend $100 give or take, and with all the reports of routers and terrible security I am hoping the community can point me towards brands/models that can help me utilize more of my bandwidth without breaking the bank while maintaining reasonably good security, WPA2 exploits notwithstanding. Of course, OTA updates are a necessity,

For instance:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Route...outer+802.11ac

Any good?

reader50
Administrator
Oct 20, 2017, 05:51 PM

I can't answer your question directly (haven't bought a router recently), but must say I agree. Security updates after the sale are a perpetual black eye for anything internet-connected, and especially for IoTs devices. It's gotten bad enough that besides checking features and user reviews, I now check the manufacturer's support site. To see if they release frequent firmware updates. No updates = no sale.

Placing updates behind a registration wall is close to another no-sale for me. Your privacy in exchange for your security. Gotta monetize the paying customers that little bit more.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2017, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Just got my 1gbps symmetric line installed (webpass by google fiber).
I hate you.

P
Oct 21, 2017, 11:11 AM

The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2017, 11:26 AM

Hi all:

Just got my 1gbps symmetric line installed (webpass by google fiber)

Any good?
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I hate you.
Installed in my alley about two months ago, just waiting for it to fired up. 1GB GPON for $85 a month.
45/47

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2017, 02:43 PM

Yeah @ 60/month there is no better deal I have ever been able to take part in. 1000/1000 no cap @ 60/month. The fiber node comes into the building then runs on CAT6 up to the condo, so no equipment rentals or anything.

I deserve this because i suffered through a year of CenturyLink after dumping Comcast for putting a cap on me. Do not get century link....lol

OreoCookie
Oct 31, 2017, 07:15 PM

Yeah, an ethernet jack is the way to go. In Japan all new apartment buildings provide internet this way: you just get an ethernet jack and they usually have a wireless router installed. Because I am a nerd, I insist on using my own wireless router, but that's the way to go.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2017, 10:29 PM

Not mine. Someone on DSL reports.
45/47

P
Nov 1, 2017, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Yeah, an ethernet jack is the way to go. In Japan all new apartment buildings provide internet this way: you just get an ethernet jack and they usually have a wireless router installed. Because I am a nerd, I insist on using my own wireless router, but that's the way to go.
In Sweden, building code right now specifies that there should be Ethernet cables from all rooms to a central point, the idea being that the outside fiber or cable connection should come to that point. The owner can then supply his own router, or get one from the ISP, or just put stupid switch in that location and a router wherever suits them. Quite convenient.

Note that you can use an RJ11 connector (regular phone line) in an RJ45 (Ethernet) outlet. It will only use 4 of the pins, but it will work, meaning that you can use the same cables for both.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Nov 1, 2017, 11:44 AM

Here in Japan if you rent a recently built apartment, internet is just included. That’s extremely convenient, you no longer have to arrange for service and it is just fast: you get 1 GBit/s. Because that’s the speed of the Ethernet port. The only downside is that you are behind a router you cannot control, so I cannot use port forwarding on my NAS.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2017, 03:05 PM

So i guess my next question would be

Between Netgear & TP link - any recs on which one would give better update support?

Any other brands I should look at?

reader50
Administrator
Nov 1, 2017, 04:32 PM

A thought about questionable support. One alternative you can do is check if a router is supported by DD-WRT. If it is, you can always flash the firmware with DD-WRT and have updates for years to come. In lieu of missing manufacturer updates. For example, the WPA2 KRACK vulnurability is fixed in DD-WRT release 33525 and later.

P
Nov 2, 2017, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Here in Japan if you rent a recently built apartment, internet is just included. That’s extremely convenient, you no longer have to arrange for service and it is just fast: you get 1 GBit/s. Because that’s the speed of the Ethernet port. The only downside is that you are behind a router you cannot control, so I cannot use port forwarding on my NAS.
In an apartment, you're likely to get that in Sweden as well, and certainly in a newer apartment. I have that even though mine is older and doesn't even have TP cables, so I have to use a cable modem. Still, 100/10 is pretty nice when it is effectively free (and I can get 500/50 if I pay more). If it is free-standing buildings, you will have to organize the upstream connection yourself, though.

P
Nov 2, 2017, 05:40 AM

So i guess my next question would be

Between Netgear & TP link - any recs on which one would give better update support?

Any other brands I should look at?
If you want the best support long-term: Ubiquiti. They're not exactly cheap, though - mostly aimed at small businesses, but many home users buy them as well.

I don't know about long-term support from TP-Link, but that specific model (Archer C7) has sold extremely well, and is likely to be supported for a long time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules