Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hot iBook G4

Hot iBook G4
nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2004, 03:53 AM

I was wondering how hot should my 1ghz 12" get? I've noticed in the past day or two that it is getting hot enough for the fan to kick in, even though it is the middle of winter here in Australia. If I lift up the keyboard, the metal area with the airport install instructions burns my fingers if I touch it.

I'll I'm doing is using iTunes, Safari and converting 20 minutes worth of DVD into a mpeg4 file.

I'm a pretty heavy system user, can I expect my iBook to last if it keeps heating up so much?
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2004, 12:06 PM

I'm very curious to see the heat generated by the new breed of iBooks, you should use Temperature Monitor to gauge the heat. I have a 12" 1Ghz Powerbook and it can get up to 145�F before it levels off and stops getting hotter. I dont think you'll ruin your computer by exerting the most out of it, but I would recommend a cooling product like Podium Pad or an iCurve or even two rubber erasers to lift the back end up a bit. Hope this helped, and if you do download Temp Monitor can you post your results on how hot it gets and when the fan kicks in?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2004, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by nJm:
I was wondering how hot should my 1ghz 12" get? I've noticed in the past day or two that it is getting hot enough for the fan to kick in, even though it is the middle of winter here in Australia. If I lift up the keyboard, the metal area with the airport install instructions burns my fingers if I touch it.

I'll I'm doing is using iTunes, Safari and converting 20 minutes worth of DVD into a mpeg4 file.
The DVD > MPEG4 is pretty processor intensive stuff so that's probably what heated your iBook. I have experience of three iBooks (G3 500, G3 700, G4 1GHz) and have noticed the fan activity difference between the 500 and the 700 were quite small. The G4 is on 'par' with the to while doing light work (surfing, iTunes, etc.), but when I do processor intensive stuff (distributed.net client) the machine heats a lot more than the 500 and the 700 did. The fan noise on the G4 is not as distracting as with the G3s, though.

I would recommend you not to do processor intensive stuff while the machine is not on a solid, heat absorbing surface. I find that even keeping a slim book under the machine helps the keep the heat down (while it's on the bed, etc.)

nJm  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2004, 03:25 AM

I've got it sitting on 4 Jenga blocks (remember that game where you have to build a tower out of wooden bricks, and then pull them out to see what makes it (not) fall over?). Seems to make a difference as it now has just over an inch underneath it for air to move around. Before it was just sitting on my wooden desk.

I'll download the program and let you know how it goes.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Voch
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2004, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by nJm:
I've got it sitting on 4 Jenga blocks (remember that game where you have to build a tower out of wooden bricks, and then pull them out to see what makes it (not) fall over?). Seems to make a difference as it now has just over an inch underneath it for air to move around. Before it was just sitting on my wooden desk.

I'll download the program and let you know how it goes.
I really recommend the $20 Traveller Coolpad. I use it with my TiBook 667/DVI a lot when doing lots of number crunching.

Voch

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2004, 01:35 PM

Just make sure you have good ventilation around it. Propping it a little or using a coolpad (I have a cheap one, but it works well and swivels for when I'm not hooked up to the external stuff and my iCurve (or at night when I let it sleep).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules