Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you own a Mini?

Do you own a Mini?
insha
Senior User
Dec 10, 2003, 05:22 PM

I just recently got my Mini Cooper S . It drives like a dream. So I just wanted to know if any one who owns a Mac owns a Mini Cooper S? and How do you like it?

BTW, women love this car. Don't exactly see know why, but then again I don't care...

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 05:30 PM

post a pic of it
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

crayola
Dec 10, 2003, 05:34 PM

congrats

i don't have a car but if i did i'd get either a mini or a silver beetle
whatevah!!! i do what i want!!

:XI:
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 05:34 PM

I've got a mini skirt. Pink. Rubber.

ooo...

insha  (op)
Senior User
Dec 10, 2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by :XI::
I've got a mini skirt. Pink. Rubber.

ooo...

Pix... I want Pix... Can I have a Pix...

Sealobo
Dec 10, 2003, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by insha:
I just recently got my Mini Cooper S . It drives like a dream. So I just wanted to know if any one who owns a Mac owns a Mini Cooper S? and How do you like it?
Great car~ I almost got one in the summer.

(Ca$h will soon stop by and tell you that it's a piece of pimping shxt, and the Neon is a better car. )

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2003, 05:49 PM

I think they look pretty cool, though I don't know that I'd fit in one.

Turias
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 05:51 PM

To say the least, they were entertaining to see in The Italian Job.

I agree with mixin... post some pics!

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 06:00 PM

Great car to throw around the bends. Decent power. My friend's all jet black (body, wheels, everything) S looks so damned sinister. And yes, he gets the girls.

My few dislikes: shiny, smooth plastics, springy shifter, and the expectedly flickering ride quality. Maybe it is my age.
I, ASIMO.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2003, 06:24 PM

I nearly bought one.. But the 'S' model didnt quite exist when I wanted a new car. I've had 5 of the original Mini's though. In fact I still have 2 of them tucked away in my garage.
But my daily driver is a silver 230bhp New Beetle turbo (Tweaked). Great for torturing New Mini's on the straights Then they get me back on the twisty stuff
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

marusin
Senior User
Dec 10, 2003, 06:38 PM

I've been driving a standard Mini Cooper for a year now. I just crossed 28,000 miles (tons of commuting daily). It's a fun car to drive and very nice on the curves.

Like I said, I have the regular Cooper (not the "S") and while it's not as quick, it works for me and what I need a car for (fun to drive, handles well, good gas mileage, etc).

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I think they look pretty cool, though I don't know that I'd fit in one.
I am 6.2 and fit in it just fine. I am average weight though.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2003, 07:37 PM

If I get my new job I'll be getting one.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2003, 07:42 PM

I WANT ONE!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

willed
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2003, 09:00 PM

If I had the money (I'm a student) I would get one. Apparently a great driver's car. Enjoy.

veritas68
Banned
Dec 10, 2003, 09:19 PM

The 1st generation neon outhandles the new mini, even the S. The SRT4 outperforms it. The 1st gen neon with a turbo will destroy a Mini S in any category, excluding build quality. It pisses me off when people refer to the mini as ' a driver's car', when the neon SURPASSES IT.

ALSO..... I love to say this just to piss off mini owners.....

THE ENGINE IN YOUR BELOVED MINI COOPER IS A CHRYSLER ENGINE THAT'S BEEN IN EXPORT NEONS FOR YEARS

- Ca$h

veritas68
Banned
Dec 10, 2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Sealobo:
(Ca$h will soon stop by and tell you that it's a piece of pimping shxt, and the Neon is a better car. )
The neon outperforms the mini in almost every category. Period. I'm not saying which is better, because thats opinion. I'm just stating facts that mini owners/fans hate to admit.

- Ca$h

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by veritas68:
The neon outperforms the mini in almost every category. Period. I'm not saying which is better, because thats opinion. I'm just stating facts that mini owners/fans hate to admit.

- Ca$h
HaHa! Didnt think it would be long before Mr Full-O-sh!t himself chimed in with something like that

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2003, 09:38 PM

I'm just stating facts that mini owners/fans hate to admit.

- Ca$h
...or possibly don't care about since they're enjoying their cars instead?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 10:42 PM

I think that it is a cute trend looking car. Don't own one because I would never fit into one!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 10:59 PM

The interior on the mini is HUGE. I'm 6'5" 270 lbs and I fit in them like a dream. Better then in many large cars, particularly my GF's SUV.

I don't own one... yet. But it's on my Xmas list.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

tsuki
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2003, 11:16 PM

they are awesome looking little cars...
i would not ever refuse a minigift

the miniusa website is totally worth checking out too..

http://www.miniusa.com

Cipher13
Dec 10, 2003, 11:30 PM

I've always hated minis.

veritas68
Banned
Dec 10, 2003, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:
HaHa! Didnt think it would be long before Mr Full-O-sh!t himself chimed in with something like that
Please explain how I'm full of ****.

- Ca$h

PS: You won't reply, like usual. I challenge you, and you don't reply. Why? Because I'm not full of ****. You lose, prick.

insha  (op)
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 12:13 AM

I will post the pictures of my mini over the weekend as I just recent became an Uncle so I'm a bit preoccupied with the new comer.

MindFad is right, I don't care what's under the hood, because I am having way too much fun drivinig the Mini to care.

As for
I may or may not look into this...

veritas68
Banned
Dec 11, 2003, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by insha:

I may or may not look into this...
You go right ahead. And from now on, whenever you think your mini is fun to drive, realize that the 1st gen neon can outhandle it, get better MPG, and with a turbo, completely rape it. The SRt4 is ... well.. a lot more machine than the MiniS, so there isn't really a comparison, unless you're talking about build quality.

- Ca$h

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2003, 01:15 AM

Please explain how I'm full of ****.

- Ca$h

PS: You won't reply, like usual. I challenge you, and you don't reply. Why? Because I'm not full of ****. You lose, prick.
Temper temper.. Wont reply like usual huh? I don't live on this board you know. Have we had a run in before cashy? And was I supposed to reply to your 'challenge' before you had even finished posting it? So, for the reply you wanted.. You are full of sh!t simply because you have nothing better to do than rant and rave about stuff that you are not even close to being correct about. Yet your stupidity and over driven ego is such that admitting to ever being wrong about anything is something you rarely even consider, yet alone actually do.. Instead you ignorantly dig yourself a deeper hole, making yourself look increasingly foolish every time. Want proof? Of course you do! you deserve it. How about (for example) I dig out that thread where you thought you were so right about using prohibited electrical equipment in passenger aircraft, all because you thought you were so smart and knew better than professionals with years of training and experience behind them? Should I add that even after 2 pilots stepped in to correct you, you still ranted and claimed to be in the right?
If that isn't proof of your selfish stupidity, and full of sh!tness, then I don't know what is.
See you around kid

veritas68
Banned
Dec 11, 2003, 01:36 AM

How about (for example) I dig out that thread where you thought you were so right about using prohibited electrical equipment in passenger aircraft, all because you thought you were so smart and knew better than professionals with years of training and experience behind them? Should I add that even after 2 pilots stepped in to correct you, you still ranted and claimed to be in the right?

You mean this thread?

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...y&pagenumber=4

You might want to re-read it. A pilot posted at the end. He uses his laptop and stuff DURING the flight. He said that I was right, and you lose. You lose. I win. Try again.

- Ca$h

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 02:23 AM

sweet jeebus cash, stop making new accounts, it's hard to keep my ignore list up to date...

and to the original poster, congrats on the mini purchase. the mags love it, my friends love it, i love it. but the dealers around boston rape ya with their markups, so i won't be driving one any time soon.

now that ford focus svt on the other hand...

veritas68
Banned
Dec 11, 2003, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
Get's stomped by the SRT4 also?

- Ca$h

RGB
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
Won't be around come next year.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=04276850

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=05474972

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 04:08 AM

ah, that's lame. but doesn't bother me too much, since i'm interested in the lightly-used variety due to their horrific (terrific!) depreciation.

willed
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2003, 06:46 AM

Get's stomped by the SRT4 also?

- Ca$h
( Last edited by willed; Dec 11, 2003 at 07:26 PM. )

vexborg
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 06:59 AM

Well, I don't have a Mini at the moment, but I used to drive a 1972 Morris Mini 850 - and that was a great car, 350.000 km on the same engine! No problems whatsoever with starting during the winter, where my collegues with WV Golf and Ford couldn't get their cars running

The only problem was that the heating in the car a bit dodgy - if I turned it on, it would leak all the hot cooling water in the bottom of the car... The solution was to freeze during the wintertime...

If I was to get a car now - it would have to be a old style Morris Mini (not the new style) or an old Morris Minor...

Sealobo
Dec 11, 2003, 08:01 AM

Nobody cares about the Neon, excepted those who can barely afford one.

Nothing subjective, it's a valid statement.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 08:20 AM

Well that Neon may be your bang for the buck but it's ugly as hell and when you drive a Mini you won't be laughed at like with a Neon. Even that SRT stuff. And yeah build quality is **** like the other 95% of american cars. Thank god I see about 1 Neon a year over here. And when I see one I always think about Ca$h and try to imagine the greatness of these cars. There must be a reason for people not buying these cars over here.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2003, 12:18 PM

Had my Cooper S for a year now - yes it is a great car to drive, especially on these roads in the UK. Dark Silver Metallic, white roof + stripes + sunroof + Xenons.

Do you know (or care) about the 'Aux Port Mod' ? I rigged up a cable for about �2 that lets me play my iPod through the car stereo. Coool !!

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2003, 03:54 PM

Ding! We have a winner!

Ca$h is a great guy and all, but he's fighting a one sided holy war against people who *really* don't give a fsck.

Anyway, I've had my Mini for nearly two years - best damn car I've ever owned. Mindfad, you'll fit in it just fine. A friend of mine is 6'5" and perfectly comfortable in his Cooper S. That said, you wouldn't want to be sat in the seat behind him...
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 11, 2003, 04:24 PM

He isn't FOS about that.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 11, 2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Well that Neon may be your bang for the buck but it's ugly as hell and when you drive a Mini you won't be laughed at like with a Neon. Even that SRT stuff. And yeah build quality is **** like the other 95% of american cars. Thank god I see about 1 Neon a year over here. And when I see one I always think about Ca$h and try to imagine the greatness of these cars. There must be a reason for people not buying these cars over here.
Spoken by someone who has never owned or driven one I bet too.

Looks are subjective. I happen to like the looks of mine.

insha  (op)
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Had my Cooper S for a year now - yes it is a great car to drive, especially on these roads in the UK. Dark Silver Metallic, white roof + stripes + sunroof + Xenons.

Do you know (or care) about the 'Aux Port Mod' ? I rigged up a cable for about �2 that lets me play my iPod through the car stereo. Coool !!
I'm Interested in how you did that. Please explain?

I don't really care for the "Aux Port Mod" --

passmaster16
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 06:48 PM

What ca$h seems to forget is that there are some people who do care about build quality. But I'm sure the SRT-4 is a great value as long as the head gasket doesn't blow at 50k mi.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 06:51 PM

Good lookin' car Zimphire.

I was #9 in KC on the waiting list when the mini first came out. To this day, people still come up to me and want to know about it. It's kinda like my ipod on wheels.

Nah, don't have an ipod...

The mini is the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. Drives like a go kart. I am so used to the big speedo in the center of the dash that now when I drive our Accord, I can't find it.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2003, 06:52 PM

this is just a personal opinion of mine, but I would personally be more confident driving a neon (srt-4 or not), than a mini. The mini screams effeminate to me, almost the same way the vw bug does.

Now some people are perfectly happy driving their Minis, and that's great. I would never purchase a mini for myself though - the cooper S with a blower only makes ~160hp? Hm.

But you guys are all free to buy what car you like. That's what makes this place great. There's a car out there for everybody's tastes.

P.S. - I believe the head-gasket issue were in the older neons and were promptly fixed.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

willed
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by kertong:
this is just a personal opinion of mine, but I would personally be more confident driving a neon (srt-4 or not), than a mini. The mini screams effeminate to me, almost the same way the vw bug does.

Now some people are perfectly happy driving their Minis, and that's great. I would never purchase a mini for myself though - the cooper S with a blower only makes ~160hp? Hm.

But you guys are all free to buy what car you like. That's what makes this place great. There's a car out there for everybody's tastes.

P.S. - I believe the head-gasket issue were in the older neons and were promptly fixed.
MiniOne = girlie/poser
MiniCooper = ok
MiniCooperS = good car

'only' 160bhp may not be that much in a normal car, but in something the size of a Mini it makes for quite a bit of speed.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2003, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by willed:
'only' 160bhp may not be that much in a normal car, but in something the size of a Mini it makes for quite a bit of speed.
I'm sure the MiniS handles exceptionally well.

However, 0-60mph in 8.4 seconds and 1/4 in 16.6, trapping only at ~85mph, does not qualify as "quite a bit of speed" in my eyes. However, I don't think Mini customers buy the car for its speed.

I would say the mini cooper S is on par with the ford focus SVT in terms of performance.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

veritas68
Banned
Dec 11, 2003, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by passmaster16:
What ca$h seems to forget is that there are some people who do care about build quality. But I'm sure the SRT-4 is a great value as long as the head gasket doesn't blow at 50k mi.
Again you flaunt your complete lack of knowledge. Build quality has NOTHING to do with a head gasket. A faulty headgasket would fall under reliability issues. FURTHERMORE, The neon's headgasket problem was fixed in 1998, so you're...ohh...ABOUT FIVE ****ING YEARS BEHIND THE TIMES.

I hate ignorant people.

- Ca$h

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2003, 08:39 PM

Again you flaunt your complete lack of knowledge. Build quality has NOTHING to do with a head gasket. A faulty headgasket would fall under reliability issues. FURTHERMORE, The neon's headgasket problem was fixed in 1998, so you're...ohh...ABOUT FIVE ****ING YEARS BEHIND THE TIMES.

I hate ignorant people.

- Ca$h
Never buy a Saturn.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

veritas68
Banned
Dec 11, 2003, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Sealobo:
Nobody cares about the Neon, excepted those who can barely afford one.

Nothing subjective, it's a valid statement.

No it isn't. I know quite a few neon owners who CHOSE the neon specifically for its performance potential. To give you an idea... the guy's dad drives a new XJR, and has loads of $$$. Neons are LIGHTWEIGHT (unlike the mini) & have an extremely stiff chassis. They also handle better than a mini, can do the slalom faster, are TONS cheaper, and in some variatons faster, but if you compare them equally, the NA neon DESTROYS the NA mini, and the FI neon destroys the FI mini S.

- Ca$h

veritas68
Banned
Dec 11, 2003, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Well that Neon may be your bang for the buck but it's ugly as hell and when you drive a Mini you won't be laughed at like with a Neon.
The only people laughing are the same people who've never driven a neon before. Let them remain in ignorance. But riddle me this: Does it look even dumber to be in a mini and get wasted by a LOWLY stock plain jane neon????!!? Yes. Yes it does.

Even that SRT stuff. And yeah build quality is **** like the other 95% of american cars. Thank god I see about 1 Neon a year over here.
The build quality is garbage. I've never said otherwise. But the handling, acceleration, braking, reliability, economy and general performance are fantastic.

And when I see one I always think about Ca$h and try to imagine the greatness of these cars. There must be a reason for people not buying these cars over here.
Because you care more about looks than performance? Ricers.

- Ca$h

Forum Links
Forum Rules