Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Printer sharing 9.2/10.2/XP?

Printer sharing 9.2/10.2/XP?
randallina2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2003, 07:51 PM

How would I go about setting up a network between a 9.2 machine and a 10.2 machine and a WIN XP machine? Surely it's possible. I've shared between a 9 and a 98 before but haven't networked in awhile. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips....

Randall

si_lance
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2003, 11:56 PM

disclaimer: this is just an opinion. I'm assuming these machines are on the same subnet.

In this scenario, I would choose one machine to be the main printserver, and the other two as clients. In this case the machine that can talk both tongues (appletalk and windows file/printer sharing), is the 10.2 machine. Turn printer sharing on using System Preferences. I would make the 10.2 (server) machine use a static IP so it won't "move", and I also recommend adding its ip to both machines hosts files so you can refer to the printserver by friendly name instead of IP. Good luck.
( Last edited by si_lance; Dec 8, 2003 at 12:10 AM. )

randallina2001  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2003, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the advice, i'll pass this on to my sup, hope it gets me a little star or something. I'm still open for ideas or maybe someone could suggest a good primer on these issues....
Thanks again, Randall

Wallstreet 300, 320mb, 40G, 10.2
Yikes G4, 400, 256mb, 20G, 10.3

si_lance
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2003, 01:22 AM

One more option is to buy a printserver device. For instance, HP makes a JetDirect card for most of their laser printers. A JetDirect card plugs into the network via ethernet cat5, you assign it a static IP, and then tell the computers to use network printing (often it requires a driver on each computer, but Macs usually have the drivers built-in). Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules