Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod 20 Out of Stock at CompUSA for a Week

iPod 20 Out of Stock at CompUSA for a Week
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2003, 02:37 PM

Yes, I do realize that CompUSA is a lame outfit, but bear with me here. My local store has been out of the 20GB iPod for a week, and judging from the product listing it has to be out of stock at all locations. The other sizes are in stock, however. Apple Store Online says there's only a 3-5 day wait for the 20, so that conflicts with my line of reasoning.

I'm interested in all of this because my iPod recently went out of commission , and I wish to replace it through the two-year replacement guarantee I bought through Comp. Yet, if a revision is imminent, then I should definitely hold off. Anyone have anything to add? Oh, and I am cognizant of the Apple job listing for a video iPod, but I'm operating under the assumption that that product is awhile away.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

marusin
Senior User
Dec 22, 2003, 06:44 PM

Could it have anything to do with Christmas? The iPod is this years "Tickle Me Elmo" (well at least for an older demographic)!

All mp3 players have been flying off the shelves this season from what I've seen/have been told...

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2003, 06:57 PM

At Target we have been out of the 10 GB model (only one we cary) for about 2+ weeks now.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 07:42 PM

Today I stopped at my University computer store and no iPods (last week shelfs were full of them).

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2003, 08:07 PM

Interesting. . . very interesting. Could it be that the current iPods are EOLed?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2003, 06:30 PM

Hey Big Mac how much did you pay for that CompUsa two-year replacement guarantee?

omegahack
Dec 23, 2003, 11:06 PM

the replacement plan would have been 49.99 at the time, now it is 65 bucks. There is a national 20 gig shortage, at the CompUSA i work at we still have a few but they are open box and repaired and stuff. Actually there are arent that many anywhere. They are all in so high demand. We cant keep them in stock. they actually banned employee discounts on them for the holiday period.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2003, 12:45 AM

This is a national shortage, not just at CompUSA. Most CompUSA stores also have full time Apple employees in them; that "lame" chain moves far more Macs than you could ever guess.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

cube4all
Dec 24, 2003, 01:05 AM

Welcome to the Mini Ipods..read this in a thread...iPods for USD 100!!!

http://apple.slashdot.org/
---------------------------------------
My wife owns a PB 12"...where's my Mac?

robbyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2003, 12:36 AM

where are ipods not sold out? i see EOL.. i remember Ingram was totally out and didnt expect anymore until after january 5th.. HRMM I WONDER...

Chris Grande
Senior User
Dec 25, 2003, 08:12 AM

I was listening to one of the guys who works at the Westfarms Apple store about how they sold out of the 20s and how Apple had to rush them a bunch out to keep up.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2003, 11:45 AM

no sane company would attempt to refresh a product at christmas time.

-r.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 12:25 PM

My experiences with Comp USA are quite different. I dunno if the store is consistant enough to really "call" whether they are a good or bad mac store.

I bought a higher end monitor there, took it home, and it was broken... which is like the most not cool thing ever. I returned it the next day (they had closed by the time i realized it was broken). They gave me a lot of grief, made comments that suggested I broke or damaged it.. but after enough persuasion, they took it back because of their policy.

When my iPod gave out, they also refused to take it, and told me for any user -to- apple deals like broken hardware, exchanges, etc, that they cannot be a part of that. Which annoyed me... because they always advertise like they are the people to go to.

Oh well.
yep.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by cube4all:
Welcome to the Mini Ipods..read this in a thread...iPods for USD 100!!!

http://apple.slashdot.org/
If you click through here, you come to a discussion at a certain point. And may I ask, what retard invented that form of threads ?? It's impossible to read. Every time I see this on the net I don't even bother to read it. And that's a pity because I am quite interested in this topic. [/threadthingyrant]

EDIT: aha I found a way to change it
( Last edited by Powaqqatsi; Dec 29, 2003 at 03:13 PM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2003, 11:12 AM

What about that planeload of iPods that was burning?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Interesting. . . very interesting. Could it be that the current iPods are EOLed?
I just got one, which means that they will be replaced or upgraded soon. Happens every time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules