Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Yikes upgrade

Yikes upgrade
randallina2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 02:04 AM

I have a Yikes 400. OWC has a 500 upgrade for $150. Will this speed me up alot as far as program switching and user switching and stuff...also I need a better video card to get the cool fast user switching thing in 10.3. Any suggestions? ....thanks in advance

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2004, 10:19 AM

Don't bother. Not enough of a speed bump to even justify the $150.
Sell the machine and pick up a faster quicksilver or better.

You could always try spending $500 for a 1GHz upgrade, but I would vote against that too.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2004, 03:00 PM

The Powerlogix 900MHz G3 ZIF will work in the Yikes! While lacking altivec, the MHz difference may make it worth while to you. $230.

Other options are $350 and $500 Sonnet 800MHz and 1GHz (respectively) G4 ZIFs with 1MB of SDR L3 cache. Be aware that either of these two processor upgrades will cut your bus speed by 33% (down to 66MHz). How significant that is in daily use is yet to be seen. The 900MHz G3 will leave your bus at its current 100MHz. I would wait until someone posts a review of the newer Sonnet G4 upgrades.

Cheap 500MHz and 550MHz G4 ZIFs are around, but may not make enough of a difference to be worth the money. Some may overclock to 600MHz with extra cooling, though this isn't guaranteed.

Otherwise, as Eriamjh said, you may look in to selling your machine and replacing it.

The best option for video card would be a Radeon Mac Edition PCI. This is the original Radeon, not the Radeon 7000 (which is slower). You can often find these on eBay or some online shops used or refurbs. Put it in the 66MHz PCI slot (where your video card now resides) for best performance. You'll need to apply the MacOS X Quartz Extreme PCI hack to your OS to take advantage of the Quartz Extreme effects and acceleration. Trouble free performance is not guaranteed, but works just fine for me.

*Consider the price of the video card when you consider the processor upgrade, too. The card will probably cost anywhere from $90 to $150. * A new machine may still be a better option.

You can find the slower Radeon 7000 PCI much more easily, and will probably be OK if you're not a big game player. There is rumor of ATI releasing a Radeon 9000-based PCI card soon (ATI was showing a prototype at MacWorld), so consider that as well. Price unknown.

randallina2001  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2004, 01:53 PM

Thanks for all the info, appreciate it so much....Randall

Scoo
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2004, 06:31 PM

I have been running the PowerForce G4 ZIF from Powerlogix at 600 MHz for several months without incident. The boost in speed is definitely noticable, it is a great upgrade for the money. I also have a Radeon Mac edition 32 MB video card and 7200 RPM hard drives, all of which help. Good luck, I love my Yikes!, flaws and all.
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

Forum Links
Forum Rules