Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iSight question

iSight question
jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2004, 05:45 AM

I'm using an iSight as a webcam for a project of mine. See http://www.cowshark.com/artwall

Basically it's on, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, taking pictures of an LCD monitor. Every now and then it freaks out. Sometime when a certain picture is on the screen, the auto focus can't decide whether it should be close, or far, and keeps switching back and forth. It always happens while the LCD is displaying a certain few images. It makes a mechanical clicking/motor noise each time it switches from close to far, and I'm worried that it doing this continually, (or at least for a minute) may wear it out quite quickly.

Is it alright that it's doing this? Should I try to keep it from happening.
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2004, 11:38 AM

What app are you using with the iSight? Many (Like evocam for example) will let you access the camera settings so that you can set it to manual focus instead.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules