Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Please help me find some good sunglasses

Please help me find some good sunglasses
timmerk
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 08:22 PM

Hi all,

I am currently looking for some classy, business sunglasses. My face is more of the round shape. I have no clue where to start. I want to spend between $0 and $300. I have a very wide head, which I find it a problem wearing most sunglasses.

Any ideas? I really appreciate any help!

Thanks!

ambush
Banned
Jun 21, 2004, 08:26 PM

I had the same problem.

Went to the supermarket, bought cheap 80es looking glasses.

They're cool even if they're cheap (5.99) ... I havent removed the tags yet hehe...

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by timmerk:
I want to spend between $0 and $300.
Did you have a place in mind that sells sunglasses at $0. Let me know if you do...I need another pair.

ambush
Banned
Jun 21, 2004, 08:53 PM

The scrapyard has some for 0$...

But ok a real advice.

My dad has a couple of Ray Ban glasses.

They give him that milionaire look. You know. they cost 100-200. very cool.

check out ray ban sun glasses.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2004, 08:54 PM

I got a nice pair of Serengeti sunglasses about a month ago. They weren't cheap and my face isn't particularly round or wide, though. Why don't you stop by a mall and take a look? There's no better way, really...

KrazyEvilGoat
Banned
Jun 21, 2004, 09:49 PM

Bah, your eyes will get used to the sun. Quit hiding in the basement

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 09:49 PM

these

go well with
these

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 09:50 PM

Yep, I get mine in the mall... or when I forget to bring them every ****ing time I travel, I buy a pair from Wal-Mart. I have Sunglasses from all over the country... New York, Orlando, Seattle, and Vegas in the last year alone

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2004, 10:34 PM

Oakley Wires

Badass glasses; however, it sounds like you should take particular interest in the "Spring Hinge" design so they are more flexible around your wide head. I personally own the C-Wire's and E-Wire 2.1 "Polarized" models...pretty expensive ($200+); however, the Polarized glasses are really good and well worth the money in my opinion...

Good Luck!

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2004, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Oakley Wires

Badass glasses; however, it sounds like you should take particular interest in the "Spring Hinge" design so they are more flexible around your wide head. I personally own the C-Wire's and E-Wire 2.1 "Polarized" models...pretty expensive ($200+); however, the Polarized glasses are really good and well worth the money in my opinion...

Good Luck!
do you have a job surfing the web? i mean, all you do is post around here and you have all this expensive crap.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2004, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
do you have a job surfing the web? i mean, all you do is post around here and you have all this expensive crap.
I don't particularly think of it as "crap"...and it doesn't take a genius to link to a products site...

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2004, 11:04 PM

I don't particularly think of it as "crap"...and it doesn't take a genius to link to a products site...
yes but all you do is post here. every day. all day. you're like the new zimphire.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2004, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
yes but all you do is post here. every day. all day. you're like the new zimphire.
I'm a bot.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 21, 2004, 11:47 PM

Sorry people, $200 is not that expensive for any sunglasses. You should be glad you're not nearsighted or anything.

Try getting a pair of prescription sunglasses, and it could easily run you $400-$500 bucks.

When I get laser surgery, I'll be grateful to pay a mere $200 bucks for a pair.

OH-N'omac
Jun 22, 2004, 12:36 AM

Cheap Black Plastic Frames...$20 bucks, you can't go wrong. I'm wearing a knockoff version of these this summer.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 12:57 AM

I have heard good things about these....

http://www.mauijim.com/mjweb/public/...umer_index.jsp

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2004, 01:03 AM

I have a pair of smith sliders, which I love. Being able to exchange the lenses means that $100 pair of glasses don't get runied from scratches. I think I'm on the third or fourth set of lenses, each set was ~$20.

I like my toasters because they fit my small face well, but there are a wide range of sliders availiable.
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 01:45 AM

I have several pairs of Oakleys that I've accumulated over the years. Find a style you like and get them with iridium-coated lenses, and you'll love them. Revo also makes some nice sunglasses.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2004, 03:11 AM

One suggestion:

Get the hell off the internet and go to a store with a friend.

TRY STUFF ON. LOTS OF IT.

One of the things you could ALWAYS tell Americans by up until fairly recently is that their glasses invariably looked like ****.

You don't buy glasses or shades by the catalog, and you don't buy them primarily by brand name. Because if you do, you get the Matrix effect, where EVERYBODY and their dog are running around with mondo-expensive shades that looked good on Keanu, Trinity, and about twelve other people world-wide. The rest of the people wearing them just looked like total morons.

It took me over a year of casual searching to find sunshades that worked for me (unfortunately, I'm not one of those very few people that everything looks good on), and they ended up costing $40 (before I had lenses put in, but still).

/rant

-s*

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2004, 03:25 AM

I agree on the Oakleys. Don't go for a cheap pair of sunglasses, people will know they're cheap and that reflects on you. Go to a mall and try on some, see how they fit, how you look and how well they protect your eyes.

I have had a pair of X-Metals from Oakley for a couple of years now and they're still damn good. Well worth the extra cost.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 03:28 AM

Why do I always love your posts Spheric??

...and while you are out there in the real world looking for sunglasses Timmerk, go try to find those Guccis

they cost ~ $169

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2004, 03:31 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
Why do I always love your posts Spheric??

need coffee...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2004, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Don't go for a cheap pair of sunglasses, people will know they're cheap and that reflects on you.
Wow.

You have real problems.

IMO, nothing reflects more poorly upon people than having spent $400 on shades that JUST DON'T SUIT THEM.

-s*

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2004, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Wow.

You have real problems.

IMO, nothing reflects more poorly upon people than having spent $400 on shades that JUST DON'T SUIT THEM.

-s*
If you read the entire post, I did say go and try out glasses that fit you, that look good and that protect your eyes. Nowhere did I say don't get glasses that suit you.
For me, sunglasses are worth paying a little extra. Much like a Mac. Anyone can get sunglasses at Circle K, but they look like they were bought in a Circle K. And those cheap plastic POS don't protect the eyes from harmful solar rays and if they break often, which they do, you end up paying more anyway.
The original poster asked for opinions and advice. I gave my mine. If you can't deal with, stick with your Circle K glasses and your KMart wardrobe and your Schlitz 6-pack of "beer" and leave the rest of alone.

macroy
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 07:42 AM

ditto on the advice to try them out. Ma' noggin is too wide to not do that - get tan lines across the side of face 'cause the ear pieces pinch in.

I've had three pairs of sunglasses, 2 12 year old Ray-ban aviators and a new pair I bought after getting lasered last year. All of them are still in perfect condition. So my vote would be biased towards Ray Bans. They're typically glass lenses, so they don't scratch as easily (so I usually just use my shirt to clean them - but not vendor recommended). But they are a bit heavier. Wouldn't recommend them for volleyball, jogging...etc

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 07:46 AM

http://oakley.com/catalog/colors/eye...ium_polarized/

Oakleys - the new ones have better springy side-bits - so they don't squeeze the head so much.

Titanium coloured should be good for business.

Relatively expensive - but you get what you pay for - and the polarised lenses are great for driving in.
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2004, 09:29 AM

If you read the entire post, I did say go and try out glasses that fit you, that look good and that protect your eyes. Nowhere did I say don't get glasses that suit you.
For me, sunglasses are worth paying a little extra. Much like a Mac. Anyone can get sunglasses at Circle K, but they look like they were bought in a Circle K. And those cheap plastic POS don't protect the eyes from harmful solar rays and if they break often, which they do, you end up paying more anyway.
The original poster asked for opinions and advice. I gave my mine. If you can't deal with, stick with your Circle K glasses and your KMart wardrobe and your Schlitz 6-pack of "beer" and leave the rest of alone.
You're telling a German about beer?

The only thing about shades worth spending money on is that the more expensive ones tend to have better glass. I'll give you that.

Most of the people I see with expensive sunglasses buy them because everybody will see that they're expensive and think highly of them, even though they look like complete dorks.

I took this part of your post: "Don't go for a cheap pair of sunglasses, people will know they're cheap and that reflects on you." to mean that exact same thing.

People will not think highly of you if you spend a whole lot of money on something that makes you look like a total idiot. Most people I know will in fact think more highly of you if you manage to find something that will make you look really good for under twenty dollars.

We obviously do not populate the same world.

Best to keep it that way.

-s*

Cipher13
Jun 22, 2004, 09:31 AM

I wear a pair of Boll� Metals (Thunderstruck series, I believe).

Down here, every single person you see wears Oakley's. A-frames, wires, or Minutes. Nothing else.

I like those just fine, but I like these better; and I find they do a better job protecting my eyes.

My eyes are very sensitive to light (and scar easily, being very blue), so I wear these every minute I'm outside, basically. I'll get a photo with them on.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 09:33 AM

My prescription Gucci glasses (nearsighted) were about $200CDN not that bad. I'm looking to get some Dior sunglasses though which I believe are $250. SO nice though.

I like that bold look.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2004, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
People will not think highly of you if you spend a whole lot of money on something that makes you look like a total idiot. Most people I know will in fact think more highly of you if you manage to find something that will make you look really good for under twenty dollars.
We obviously do not populate the same world.
Best to keep it that way.
A good pair of sunglasses are going to cost more than $20. Any less than that and you might as well not wear a pair because they're not going to help your eyes.

But I agree. I'm more than happy to avoid your world. Doesn't sound like a very good place to visit. And, speaking of which, by the way, I got my X-Metals in... Germany.

And they've done well by me from being stuck in the snow, to protecting me in equatorial sunlight to jetskiing and paragliding and just about everything in between.

OH-N'omac
Jun 22, 2004, 09:49 AM

And those cheap plastic POS don't protect the eyes from harmful solar rays and if they break often, which they do, you end up paying more anyway.
Is there some science behind the protection angle? I'd be curious to see some support for the idea that you need a pair of $200 sunglasses to protect your eyes from UV (Something that doesn't come from a company selling $200+ sunglasses).

I like cheap sunglasses bacause I don't want/need to stress out about my sunglasses. I have a habit of stepping on, scratching, dropping, losing, or giving away sunglasses....which is OK, because I usually only spend $20 - $40 on a pair. I like to change my look every year or two anyway, I see sunglasses as a disposable accessory, not an investment.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 11:40 AM

If your head is too wide, you can always get these:

Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by OH-N'omac:
Is there some science behind the protection angle? I'd be curious to see some support for the idea that you need a pair of $200 sunglasses to protect your eyes from UV (Something that doesn't come from a company selling $200+ sunglasses).
Glass blocks UV rays. Plastic doesn't. That's about it, as far as I know. Beyond that, there's things like Polarization that help reduce glare and reflections, but as far as protecting your eyes, if it's glass, the UV rays can't get through.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2004, 02:00 PM

Don't forget that many name brands also offer warranties.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 02:10 PM

Even the gas station glasses have the Uv protection sticker on them.
I wear polorized glasses for fishing, as I could give a **** what some uppity **** thinks of my glasses, or anything else for that matter. How ****ing shallow can you be?

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 02:57 PM

Was that last msg directed to me?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2004, 02:59 PM

I just prefer getting nicer glasses so I don't have to replace them all the time. The cheap ones I've bought seem to fall apart readily. More expensive glasses will also have higher quality lenses, though even $20 pairs can have UV protection.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 03:06 PM

I seem to recall reading that all glasses, even sunglasses with plastic lenses protect against most harmful UV rays.

But then again, didn't Clark Kent have plastic lenses so he could shoot his super rays through them?

Adopt-A-Yankee

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2004, 03:17 PM

I'm not sure the lens material necessarily makes a difference, plastic lenses can also block UV rays. There are two types of UV rays that are important to protect against. Different lenses will block different percentages of those rays. The standards for labeling are something like 60%/70% for UVA and UVB. More expensive lenses will generally block more UV rays and maybe will include an anti-reflective coating, better impact resistance, or polarization.

agentz
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:
If your head is too wide, you can always get these:

imgsnip
Have Oakley gone mad?!?!?
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2004, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by agentz:
Have Oakley gone mad?!?!?
Yes, but they call it "Innovation" instead...and don't forget, to buy the Medusa:

$500

entrox
Senior User
Jun 22, 2004, 05:42 PM

Yes, but they call it "Innovation" instead...and don't forget, to buy the Medusa:
WTF? You'd look like a freaking predator with this.. whatever it is.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2004, 05:43 PM

OMFG! That is the funniest damn thing I may have ever seen. Now I just wish I had that a few years ago when I was living in Myrtle Beach and some mates and I would take our annual drunken pilgrimage to Savannah for Saint Patrick's Day festivities.

Thanks, GoRickey, though I'm surprised you didn't say something about Philzilla when you posted that.

agentz
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 05:45 PM

MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2004, 05:48 PM

$500

Umm... wtf?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2004, 05:58 PM

Thanks, GoRickey, though I'm surprised you didn't say something about Philzilla when you posted that.
philzilla needs only the goggles:

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
Did you have a place in mind that sells sunglasses at $0. Let me know if you do...I need another pair.

Opps! I meant $100 LOL

Forum Links
Forum Rules