Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Airport Express shipping!!

Airport Express shipping!!
pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2004, 07:46 AM

Just rec'd my email this morning that the Apple Store has shipped my airport express! I ordered it the day it was announced...
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2004, 08:26 AM

Same here. I hope to get it very soon!

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 08:34 AM

No e-mail here, but I ordered mine a day or three after the announcement (6/7). I also picked ground shipping...

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2004, 10:29 AM

i wonder when they will be availible in compUSA and the apple stores.

i was hesitant about ordering one (financial) but now i can and when i add one to an order on the apple store it says shipping in 3 - 4 weeks. i need it before next friday (going on holiday) if i get one now.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 08:38 AM

So who has it now? Someone must have got overnight shipping ;-)

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by timmerk:
So who has it now? Someone must have got overnight shipping ;-)
They will be shipped directly from Taiwan, so the people who got "overnight" shipping might still have to wait an extra day for it to get to the US in the first place.

I imagine the people who picked overnight shipping till be getting theirs tomorrow, maybe today if they're on the west coast and were in the first shipment, based on some of the posts here.

As a side note, mine has been shipped! It left the Taiwan airport at 8 PM on Wednesday, which was about an hour ago, even though it's only Wednesday morning as I post this. Who says Time Travel isn't possible?

(I remember when I pre-oredered the first iPod, I got a chuckle out of the fact that it arrived in the US "before" it left Taiwan!)

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

pjmurphy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2004, 09:16 AM

Mine is on the fedEx truck right now - ! whoo hoo - and my new Sony K700 is on the UPS truck!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2004, 01:51 PM

Mine was due today, just had a note from the Apple Store that it is now delayed until the 30th at the earliest. Nice.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 02:43 PM

Mine shipped but since it got to FedEx too late (note on web site) it didn't start moving until today. I won't get it until Monday......bummer.

On a side note anyone have the Monster accessory kit ship yet? Mine was supposed to ship today and no indication that it has shipped and the order status page shows it's status still as "on or before July 15th". Biggest reason i got it is I need the longer cable to plug the airport express in.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 03:12 PM

Mine was due today, but they bumped it out now until 7/23. Nice job apple. What product have you EVER shipped when promised?????????

oreo75
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 03:19 PM

Mine now isn't shipping for another two weeks.

wedgewood
Jul 15, 2004, 04:06 PM

I received it today morning.
It is fantastic!!
I ordered it by ground just after the announcement.
( Last edited by wedgewood; Jul 15, 2004 at 04:12 PM. )
1.33 GHz 12" powerbook, 1.25GB

Jupeman
Jul 15, 2004, 07:38 PM

I received mine today. I was a bit frustrated that it requires a Mac with a wireless card to set it up initially. Once I was able to use my Powerbook to set it up, I could access the unit through the Airport Admin Utility and turn on "AirTunes via Ethernet". Once I did this I could stream music from my wired-ethernet-only G5 to my home stereo.

Cool stuff! Apple rocks!

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that the unit supports both analog and digital optical cable!

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 09:19 PM

And before too many functionality questions are asked, almost all of the answers are here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108038

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2004, 03:13 AM

I ordered mine on 6/13 and it was scheduled to ship on 7/15, but they emailed me yesterday and moved the date to "on or before" the 23rd. Looks like I won't be taking it with me on a trip on the 26th :-/

Why does Apple announce products so far in advance, have delays, then finally ship some around...? Why don't they announce it only when they have sufficient supply and are ready to send them out? It's frustrating to have a product announced, then waved in your face for a month and a half (or more....iPod mini...) while you wait for your order to complete.

Tim Kosch
Jul 16, 2004, 08:30 AM

I checked my e-mail last night while at the Twelve Oaks/Novi Michigan store and received an e-mail saying my airport express would be delayed. It was supposed to ship yesterday (7/15), but they delayed it a whole day (7/16). When I got up this morning it had already shipped from Taiwan. It is supposed to arrive on the 20th. I ordered mine on 6/30.

Tim

Tweed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 10:44 AM

At this point I'm not sure which Airport to go with.
What is the advantage of Extreme now that Express is out there?

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 10:50 AM

I've got a functionality question that hasn't been answered yet...

If you have multiple computers in the house, and Computer A is sharing to Computer B (music in iTunes). If you click on the said share music playlist of computer A, can you play that through AirTunes?

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
I've got a functionality question that hasn't been answered yet...

If you have multiple computers in the house, and Computer A is sharing to Computer B (music in iTunes). If you click on the said share music playlist of computer A, can you play that through AirTunes?

Yes. There's another thread that reports such functionality.
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Tweed:
At this point I'm not sure which Airport to go with.
What is the advantage of Extreme now that Express is out there?
The only reason you would go with extreme is if you need more than 10 clients connected, a modem, or an antenna.

For most people, this would mean they would want an express, even if only for cost and size. The whole 'playing music over wi-fi' seems to be a bonus. And it's cheaper! I still can't get over that, apple could have decided to make it the same price, or maybe even more. Oh well, I guess it means I buy one for all of my speakers.

Tweed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 08:28 PM

Thanks Sworthy.
I do wonder about your poin re: a needed modem or antenna.
I've had my PB since Feb and I know it has BT and a modem. It also has wireless internet capability so I'm hoping that Express would work for me.

Am I wrong in thinking that, with the use of Express, I'd be able to access a cable modem internet connection from anywhere in my house wirelessly?
I'm not a part of a network. Just me.

I know it sounds like a dum question, but then I'm full of those...

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2004, 09:04 PM

you are correct tweed. you will connect the ethernet from the cable modem into the airport express and setup the unit with you pbook.

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2004, 10:04 PM

What if I want to have a wired network with a airport express, using it as a router? (NAT, DHCP, etc)

Cable modem ethernet out->airport express->?

Is it possible?
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2004, 12:31 AM

i don't think so since on the extreme basestation there is the lan connection and the wan connection. the express does not seem to have this.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2004, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Tim Kosch:
I checked my e-mail last night while at the Twelve Oaks/Novi Michigan store and received an e-mail saying my airport express would be delayed. It was supposed to ship yesterday (7/15), but they delayed it a whole day (7/16). When I got up this morning it had already shipped from Taiwan. It is supposed to arrive on the 20th. I ordered mine on 6/30.
You order yours 17 days after me, and your ships already? Ugh.

No offense ;-P

Tim Kosch
Jul 17, 2004, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
You order yours 17 days after me, and your ships already? Ugh.

No offense ;-P
I know. I am sorry. The same kind of thing has actually happened with my 23" cinema display. I ordered it the same day as the airport extreme and people who ordered after me have already received theirs.

I would much rather have my new display than the airport express!

Tim

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2004, 01:36 AM

I was hoping to be able to take my new Express with me on a two-week trip starting the 26th, but it looks like it's not going to happen :-(

I might have to call Apple and complain again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules