Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > 2 minute movie 400 meg file.....

2 minute movie 400 meg file.....
skalie
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 01:37 PM

...... was dropped off this afternoon on a CD ( .avi format ), the idea is for me to put it on the web.

I'm trying to compress it using iMovie, but my poor iBook ( G3 600mhz ) tells me that it's going to take longer to do it everytime I look. ( 629 minutes left at the moment ).

How does someone manage to make a 400 meg file out of a 2 minute movie is my query, I guess.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 02:19 PM

783 minutes and counting, it's not going to compress is it?

hickey
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 02:25 PM

just an idea, have you tried VLC, or even isquint? Cause I doubt you have FCP on your comp.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
just an idea, have you tried VLC, or even isquint? ...
^^Second that. Also, QuickTime Pro maybe?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 04:47 PM

QT Amateur is an excellent and simple free alternative to QT Pro for encoding, and it has batch support as well. iMovie is designed specifically for editing home movies; it is completely unsuitable for any other task (like compression).

How does someone manage to make a 400 meg file out of a 2 minute movie is my query, I guess.
avi, like mov, is a container format that can contain a video payload of highly compressed content (like divx) or uncompressed, or anywhere in between. Uncompressed as I recall takes about 65 GB per hour of footage (at standard definition), or about 1 GB per minute. Sounds like your codec is about DV-level compression. If you hit cmd-i in QT it will tell you the video and audio formats in your movie (I'm guessing it will say DV).
( Last edited by Uncle Skeleton; Mar 7, 2006 at 12:47 PM. )

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 09:33 PM

try ffmpegx http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8988

easy to use and can convert even for iPod. Use .mpeg files so its easy to view for Mac and Windoze users.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton
If you hit cmd-i in QT it will tell you the video and audio formats in your movie (I'm guessing it will say DV).
DV - PAL, "save as" appears to me to be a Quicktime Pro option.

Thanks for all the info everyone, but after spending too much time on this one ( couldn't quite figure out iSquint ), I ended up taking the CD around to a friend who has Premiere.

I'll come back again when I've actually got some time to experiment with the various options.

travisimo
Mar 11, 2006, 01:35 PM

if you're compressing for the web you need to use either H264 or buy sorenson squeeze. and 400 mb for 2 min is really easy to do it the codec is "animation" or "none" and for your future reference it's always better to compress for web with an uncompressed source.. always avoid doing it from a already compressed codec.. like sorenson video.. it's like zipping a zip file twice.. it just dosn't work as good as the first time..

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 08:38 PM

400MB for 2 minutes is ~27Mbps... sounds right for DV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules