Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 119)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
It's kind of a messy issue. If you download an HD movie through iTunes, it can't be transferred to an iPod because an iPod lacks the processing power to playback an HD movie. Apple decided rather than confuse consumers, they should just only supply versions in iTunes that work on the iPod.

Some people have said Apple should address the issue by just warning the user that the HD version won't play on an iPod. I think they should just include both versions with the HD download.
The content providers will not allow HD downloads because Macs do not support HDCP. It has nothing to do with transferring the videos.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 03:14 PM

goMac, even if AppleTV put out 1000 movies, they're still not HD, and the HD ones are not 1080, and you need an AppleTV to watch them in 720, so there's really no advantage to just renting a Blu-Ray movie.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
The content providers will not allow HD downloads because Macs do not support HDCP. It has nothing to do with transferring the videos.
That sounds like a good reason too actually, but that doesn't change that the iPod still can't playback HD video...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 03:18 PM

What exactly are you doing!? I used to go to a University that had a 30 gig monthly cap and I hardly ever hit that. (They had a 15 megabit connection for 3000 students, not so great...)

I highly doubt I'm even breaking 100 gigs a month at home, and I do a lot of moving of files online...
I dunno, working from home I use it all day to listen to the radio but that doesn't take that much. Other than that it is just surfing, 2-4 4 gig torrents a month, FTPing and emailing.

the 150 gigs is combined up and down.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
goMac, even if AppleTV put out 1000 movies, they're still not HD, and the HD ones are not 1080, and you need an AppleTV to watch them in 720, so there's really no advantage to just renting a Blu-Ray movie.
And the 5% of the market that needs 1080p content will continue to use Bluray/HD-DVD.

There are simply tons of devices that only do 720p that are very popular among consumers. Most XBox/PS3 games are 720p, and the Wii is 480p. Heck, Halo 3 is actually sub-720p. The lack of 1080p has not impeded the adoption of any of these devices. I'm simply not seeing this big consumer push for 1080p that you say is there.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 03:23 PM

1,000 movies is crap.

Netflix has 90,000 discs available for rental and 5,000 available to stream.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 03:24 PM

LOL. goMac, Halo3 _IS_1080p, it's just UPCONVERTED from a lower resolution. Gawd, you really don't read much, do you?

If Halo 3 was sub-720p, no monitor would recognize the signal. Duh.

Oh, where do you get that 5% from? Just wondering which orifice you're pulling numbers out of today.

THis reminds me SO much of when the VHS camp thought DVD was going to die.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
1,000 movies is crap.

Netflix has 90,000 discs available for rental and 5,000 available to stream.
I'm not looking at the total number of discs in March, I'm looking at the trend. HD-DVD/Bluray only add about 20-30 movies to their line ups a month. We'll assume for the sake of argument that they add 60 a month (which is a little high). That means over the next two months HD-DVD and Bluray combined will add 120 movies to their combined libraries. In the same amount of time Apple will be adding 900 movies.

Take these same numbers out until the end of the year and you'll see where I'm going...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 03:29 PM

LOL. goMac, Halo3 _IS_1080p, it's just UPCONVERTED from a lower resolution. Gawd, you really don't read much, do you?

I thought Halo 3 ran at 580p or something?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 03:29 PM

: cough and wheeze :

Oh, so up-converting is acceptable now? In that case your consumer with a 7.1 home theater system probably has a 1080p up-converter in their amp, meaning that their AppleTV would be up-converted to 1080p. Problem solved. Glad we resolved that argument.

: wipes his hands of that argument :

You're right. So technically an AppleTV would also be upconverted to 1080p on any 1080p display.

Oh, where do you get that 5% from? Just wondering which orifice you're pulling numbers out of today.
Where are you getting this idea of a big consumer push for 1080p? The Wii is 480p, yet it is the best selling console. People simply don't care about 1080p. Nobody even realized Halo 3 wasn't in 720p until some person with no time on his hands sat down and counted pixels.

THis reminds me SO much of when the VHS camp thought DVD was going to die.
Strange comparison. VHS was the definite pre-cursor to DVD...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 03:31 PM

Lack of 1080p isn't a practical limitation at all. However, the various companies have been relatively effective in making 1080p a desirable feature, even though most people don't even really know what it means.

---

BTW, using Xbox Live as an example of the convenience of movie downloads:

XBox 360 Video Store FAQ: How Long to Download a Movie?

I'm in SF, on Comcast's 6Mbit cable modem service. I started downloading Akira Kurosawa's Dreams at 10PM PST. And an hour and a half later, I'm only 20% through. This is a standard def, 2 hour movie that weighs in at 1.3GB. The math: based on my 6mbit connection, I'm looking at about 7-8 hours of download. So, it seems the best strategy for buying and watching Xbox Live flicks is to set em to DL in the morning before work, or before you go to bed, and have them ready the next morning. HD movies, at around 5-6GB, should take almost a day straight. I wonder if Comcast will throttle my bandwidth.

I suspect AppleTV will be much faster, but still not fast.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
---

BTW, using Xbox Live as an example of the convenience of movie downloads:

XBox 360 Video Store FAQ: How Long to Download a Movie?

I'm in SF, on Comcast's 6Mbit cable modem service. I started downloading Akira Kurosawa's Dreams at 10PM PST. And an hour and a half later, I'm only 20% through. This is a standard def, 2 hour movie that weighs in at 1.3GB. The math: based on my 6mbit connection, I'm looking at about 7-8 hours of download. So, it seems the best strategy for buying and watching Xbox Live flicks is to set em to DL in the morning before work, or before you go to bed, and have them ready the next morning. HD movies, at around 5-6GB, should take almost a day straight. I wonder if Comcast will throttle my bandwidth.
Wow, ya I much rather do that then go 2 blocks to the video store.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 03:38 PM

I'm not looking at the total number of discs in March, I'm looking at the trend. HD-DVD/Bluray only add about 20-30 movies to their line ups a month. We'll assume for the sake of argument that they add 60 a month (which is a little high). That means over the next two months HD-DVD and Bluray combined will add 120 movies to their combined libraries. In the same amount of time Apple will be adding 900 movies.

Take these same numbers out until the end of the year and you'll see where I'm going...
It's not 1000 HD movies. It's 1000 movies. Big difference.

We'll see.

I do think that digital distribution is the future, but the Apple TV (and everyone else) has a long way to go.

$230 for the player, plus $5 a movie? If I get the player and rent one movie a week, it will cost me $490 for the first year.

Netflix costs $156 a month a year for the 2-at-a-time plan. So for the price of an Apple TV and a movie every week, I could get a standalone Blu-ray player and a subscription to Netflix.

If I'm this "average consumer" you keep talking about, I can just skip the Blu-ray player and get a $50 DVD player.

Here's the benefits of both methods...

With Netflix you get a much better selection (to a very extreme degree), lower prices, the superior quality of HD discs, bonus features, and no worrying about when you have to watch your movie.

With Apple TV, you get the convenience of being able to download the movie without waiting for something to arrive in the mail. You never have to worry about availability, everything you see is immediately available.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Wow, ya I much rather do that then go 2 blocks to the video store.
This is hardly accurate. I just watched Hot Rod in HD on XBox Live this weekend. The person seems like a complete idiot. First, you can watch the movie while it downloads. Second, it took me about 30 minutes to get 25% of the movie (in HD) on my Comcast connection (and on Microsofts notoriously post Christmas unstable network), and after that I could play the movie and I never had to stop to buffer once. It finished while I was about 3/4 of the way through.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 03:40 PM

720p is no longer High Def?

Wow, can I start suing all those electronic companies that sell HDTV that is only 720p for false advertisement? Maybe I'll start off by suing Sony.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 03:43 PM

Where are you getting this idea of a big consumer push for 1080p? The Wii is 480p, yet it is the best selling console. People simply don't care about 1080p. Nobody even realized Halo 3 wasn't in 720p until some person with no time on his hands sat down and counted pixels.

If consumers didn't want 1080p, then manufacturers wouldn't make 1080p displays. It's as simple as that. Why do you think that almost every new HDTV being made today supports 1080p? It's the new standard.

And the fact that the Wii is the best selling console and only supports 480p is a piss poor support of your argument. People are buying the Wii because they love the game play, not because of its resolution. The Wii's resolution has absolutely NOTHING to do with its sales.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 03:44 PM

About 30% of US households have an HDTV set. How many of those are 1080p sets? I would guess less than half. Most are 480p and 720p sets.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
720p is no longer High Def?

Wow, can I start suing all those electronic companies that sell HDTV that is only 720p for false advertisement? Maybe I'll start off by suing Sony.

Who is saying 720p isn't high def? The fact is, 1080p is the becoming the new standard in high definition video.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Who is saying 720p isn't high def? The fact is, 1080p is the becoming the new standard in high definition video.
Well, you have some people here relabeling 720p as HD-lite.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 03:47 PM

If consumers didn't want 1080p, then manufacturers wouldn't make 1080p displays. It's as simple as that. Why do you think that almost every new HDTV being made today supports 1080p? It's the new standard.
Manufacturers make 1080p displays because they want people to buy 1080p displays. But your average consumer doesn't care about 1080p. The games they play don't do 1080p. Their cable isn't in 1080p. And their SD DVD's aren't in 1080p, and you know what? Nobody is complaining. Because nobody honestly cares. 720p and 1080i already look so good to a majority of consumers that they don't care.

And the fact that the Wii is the best selling console and only supports 480p is a piss poor support of your argument. People are buying the Wii because they love the game play, not because of its resolution. The Wii's resolution has absolutely NOTHING to do with its sales.
No, this is absolutely my point. People care more about what the device can do than what resolution the device can display it's content at.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 03:47 PM

About 30% of US households have an HDTV set. How many of those are 1080p sets? I would guess less than half. Most are 480p and 720p sets.
480p is NOT high definition. Many early adopters of HDTVs probably have a 720p set (one of mine is). However, the majority of HDTVs being sold TODAY are 1080p. Like I said, it's becoming the new standard and video content being released in todays market should be AT LEAST 720p.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 03:48 PM

Well, you have some people here relabeling 720p as HD-lite.
Because in TODAYS market it IS HD-lite. The new standard is 1080p.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 03:52 PM

This is hardly accurate. I just watched Hot Rod in HD on XBox Live this weekend. The person seems like a complete idiot. First, you can watch the movie while it downloads. Second, it took me about 30 minutes to get 25% of the movie (in HD) on my Comcast connection (and on Microsofts notoriously post Christmas unstable network), and after that I could play the movie and I never had to stop to buffer once. It finished while I was about 3/4 of the way through.
30 Minutes is still a shitty long time.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 03:52 PM

Manufacturers make 1080p displays because they want people to buy 1080p displays. But your average consumer doesn't care about 1080p. The games they play don't do 1080p. Their cable isn't in 1080p. And their SD DVD's aren't in 1080p, and you know what? Nobody is complaining. Because nobody honestly cares. 720p and 1080i already look so good to a majority of consumers that they don't care.
No, manufacturers make 1080p displays because that is what people want. If they didn't sell and people only purchased 720p displays then manufacturers would focus on 720p. The FACT is, 1080p displays are selling really well because people want the highest resolution they can get.

No, this is absolutely my point. People care more about what the device can do than what resolution the device can display it's content at.
This makes no sense. People don't have a choice - the Wii is only available in 480p. I GUARANTEE that if Nintendo offered a 480p Wii and a 720p or 1080p Wii, 90% of consumers would buy the 720p/1080p Wii.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 03:53 PM

Because in TODAYS market it IS HD-lite. The new standard is 1080p.
Exactly. A few years ago 720p would ahve been acceptable, now it's a joke.

As for Halo 3, goMac, you really, REALLY don't understand jack sh*t, do you? Halo 3 was incredibly complex for a game. This isn't a movie, this is a GAME, rendered in REAL-TIME. You can't compare watching an upconverted film to what a game console is trying to do in real-time.

Jesus, I swear, do you do this because you don't think or for our entertainment?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 03:54 PM

This makes no sense. People don't have a choice - the Wii is only available in 480p. I GUARANTEE that if Nintendo offered a 480p Wii and a 720p or 1080p Wii, 90% of consumers would buy the 720p/1080p Wii.
If the 720p/1080p Wii was $20 more, I would say 90% of consumers who want a Wii will get the 480p Wii.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 03:56 PM

Exactly. A few years ago 720p would ahve been acceptable, now it's a joke.
I think that's debatable. Perhaps among the cutting edge technology crowd, but considering the TV sizes and viewing distances involved in actually seeing improvement over 720p, I think it's a valid resolution for the majority of people. Sort of like the difference between 5.1 and 7.1.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 03:56 PM

Well, here's a laugh.

My dad, who really isn't into anything electronic, just sent me this email:

"I just had to. Next week we will have a nice new 1080p set on our wall"

So, again, f this "average consumer" crap because if MY DAD is getting a 1080p set, and my uncle got a 1080p set last month, I'd really, REALLY like to know what the "average consumer" is.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 03:59 PM

Well, here's a laugh.

My dad, who really isn't into anything electronic, just sent me this email:

"I just had to. Next week we will have a nice new 1080p set on our wall"

So, again, f this "average consumer" crap because if MY DAD is getting a 1080p set, and my uncle got a 1080p set last month, I'd really, REALLY like to know what the "average consumer" is.
Average consumer is the 70% of the population that don't have a HDTV set and 90% of the population that don't have a 1080p HDTV set.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 04:00 PM

If the 720p/1080p Wii was $20 more, I would say 90% of consumers who want a Wii will get the 480p Wii.
Doubtful. $20 more for a drastic jump in resolution? People would be all over that - especially considering that most displays being sold today support 720p or 1080p.

Granted, Nintendo is not really trying to compete for people who like HD, otherwise they likely would have made the Wii at least 720p. They are focusing on gameplay and casual gamers and that seems to be working for them.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 04:03 PM

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 04:04 PM

You do realize that below 40" it's actually impossible according to the laws of physics to see the difference between 1080p and 720p, right?

The only reason I got a 1080p TV was for the resolution when I plugged my computer in. I wanted to fit more windows on the screen. In addition I'm working on a few pieces of content creation software and wanted to make sure my code was working fine at 1080p.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 04:06 PM

You do realize that below 40" it's actually impossible according to the laws of physics to see the difference between 1080p and 720p, right?

The only reason I got a 1080p TV was for the resolution when I plugged my computer in. I wanted to fit more windows on the screen. In addition I'm working on a few pieces of content creation software and wanted to make sure my code was working fine at 1080p.
Hahah. I have a degree in physics, Mister. It's not "impossible". There are quite a few tell-tale signs if you know what you're looking for.

goMac
Posting Junkie

Doubtful. $20 more for a drastic jump in resolution? People would be all over that - especially considering that most displays being sold today support 720p or 1080p.
I think they'd probably end up buying it for the 720p and not the 1080p. If you had modal that was 720p for $20 more, and a 1080p modal for $20 more past that, I think the 720p modal would be the top seller.

Of course, these numbers are hardly accurate. A 720p modal would have to have roughly 3x the graphics horsepower of a 480p modal. A 1080p modal would have to have roughly 9x the horsepower of the 480p modal, so these prices wouldn't be realistic.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN

Granted, Nintendo is not really trying to compete for people who like HD, otherwise they likely would have made the Wii at least 720p. They are focusing on gameplay and casual gamers and that seems to be working for them.
Because the Wii market don't care about awesome graphics and high end specs. They care about the Wii-mote and that it works on their TV.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 04:07 PM

Average consumer is the 70% of the population that don't have a HDTV set and 90% of the population that don't have a 1080p HDTV set.
How do you explain the fact that HDTV sales are increasing year after year if the "average consumer" doesn't want them?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 04:09 PM

Hahah. I have a degree in physics, Mister. It's not "impossible". There are quite a few tell-tale signs if you know what you're looking for.
On one hand, you're right. The rays of light will still be projected from the tv in 1080p. But the problem here is the resolution of your eye. If you're not standing right up at the TV, your eye doesn't have nearly the resolution to perceive the 1080p image fully.

Here's the chart for reference:

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 04:09 PM

30% of the population has an HD set. Uh, last I checked that was pretty impressive, and it's increasing all the time.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 04:10 PM

Yeah, I have to disagree with this one. HDTV sales are certainly up. I think a lot of people are buying them just to get an LCD and not really for the quality, but the sales are up.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 04:11 PM

Quit living in 2005. It's 2008 and 1080p is the new standard in high definition. Period. HDTV sales are increasing year after year because people WANT high definition displays. Because of this, content providers need to adapt and start offering more 1080p content before they get left behind. The more people buy 1080p displays, the more they are going to want 1080p content. 480p DVDs won't cut it for them once they see 1080p content.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 04:15 PM

content providers need to adapt and start offering more 1080p content before they get left behind. The more people buy 1080p displays, the more they are going to want 1080p content.
Does this include television?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 04:15 PM

Quit living in 2005. It's 2008 and 1080p is the new standard in high definition.
The only 1080p content on the market is Bluray/HD-DVD. Bluray/HD-DVD sales are nothing. You can't seriously argue that there is huge consumer demand for 1080p.

Because of this, content providers need to adapt and start offering more 1080p content before they get left behind.
Hilarious. Nobody can. Cable and FIOS don't have enough bandwidth for 1080p. Graphics hardware isn't powerful enough to push 1080p games. Even if there was a lot of consumer demand for 1080p, the only source to supply that content is HD-DVD/Bluray. And nobody cares, judging from Bluray/HD-DVD sales.

The more people buy 1080p displays, the more they are going to want 1080p content. 480p DVDs won't cut it for them once they see 1080p content.
I doubt people will even remember that there TV is 1080p when they go out shopping. Heck, nobody even knows that the Wii can't do HD.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 04:19 PM

How do you explain the fact that HDTV sales are increasing year after year if the "average consumer" doesn't want them?
Simple, because the price on HDTV is getting cheaper and cheaper to the point it's the same price as their old Tube TV.

The average consumer don't really care that much about HDTV. Do they want one? Sure. If it is $100, most people would rush out and buy one. They just don't care enough to even spend $600 on one, which is what a 37" HDTV LCD starts around these days. My 32" JVC analog tube TV that was purchased 6 years ago was $500.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 04:26 PM

Yeah, I have to disagree with this one. HDTV sales are certainly up. I think a lot of people are buying them just to get an LCD and not really for the quality, but the sales are up.
Funny how in the Wii thread you said only a very small population will have an wii hooked up to an HD set because in the Wii's lifetime HD sets will not be in enough homes.

The last numbers showed that 65% of wii owners have it on an HD set!
Stats: The PS3 Dominates HD Usage, Gamers Love Home Theaters

Again you were waaaay off.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 04:27 PM

This is so funny.

goMac sounds like those laserdisc nuts on alt. video.laserdisc that swore DVD would never take over.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Does this include television?
Yes. Most HD content (at least on COX Cable) is 1080i.

The only 1080p content on the market is Bluray/HD-DVD. Bluray/HD-DVD sales are nothing. You can't seriously argue that there is huge consumer demand for 1080p.
You think DVDs took off right when they came out? No. Why? Because most people had VCRs. However, DVDs slowly got adopted because PEOPLE LIKED THE PICTURE QUALITY over VHS. Same will happen with Blu-ray/HD-DVD vs. DVD once more and more people get 1080p HDTVs (see above).

Hilarious. Nobody can. Cable and FIOS don't have enough bandwidth for 1080p. Graphics hardware isn't powerful enough to push 1080p games. Even if there was a lot of consumer demand for 1080p, the only source to supply that content is HD-DVD/Bluray. And nobody cares, judging from Bluray/HD-DVD sales.
Not now, but they will. You seem to think 1080p content should be immediately adopted in order for my argument to be valid. The fact that the Blu-ray/HD-DVD is the only 1080p content readily available is simply because those camps are the ones pushing 1080p content. Give it time.

I doubt people will even remember that there TV is 1080p when they go out shopping. Heck, nobody even knows that the Wii can't do HD.
You don't give people enough credit. Even my parents, who are technologically inept, WANTED a 1080p HDTV and purposefully went out to buy one.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Funny how in the Wii thread you said only a very small population will have an wii hooked up to an HD set because in the Wii's lifetime HD sets will not be in enough homes.

The last numbers showed that 65% of wii owners have it on an HD set!
Stats: The PS3 Dominates HD Usage, Gamers Love Home Theaters

Again you were waaaay off.
And how many of those think that they have a HD set, but in reality have a HD-lite set.

Or even worst, an EDTV set.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 04:48 PM

Yes. Most HD content (at least on COX Cable) is 1080i.
You said 1080p, not 1080i.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 04:55 PM

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 04:59 PM

Actually, that would be for last week ending on 1/13. Expected because of the initial shock after the Warner annoucement. I expect HDDVD sales to be slightly higher for this week.

Forum Links
Forum Rules