Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Jessica Lunsford, 9, Raped and Murdered

View Poll Results: Should the drug dealers who sold the perp the drugs be tried as accomplices?
Poll Options:
Yes, they are culpable in the murder. 8 votes (17.02%)
No, it opens up an unwelcome can of worms. 39 votes (82.98%)
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll
Jessica Lunsford, 9, Raped and Murdered
selowitch
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 10:32 PM

Who here thinks the drug dealers who sold narcotics to the perpetrator should be tried as accomplices in Jessica's murder?

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 10:45 PM

He's a known offender, regardless of being on drugs at the time or not. He didn't register his new address and therefore, the state had no idea of where he was living. He was completely capable of doing that on his own.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 10:49 PM

I think they deserve a fun-filled vacation to sunny Singapore.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 23, 2005, 10:54 PM

I think ANY drug dealer needs to pay part of the price for what their "customers" do, either in order to get the money for the drugs or under the influence. Is it gonna happen? How can you prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Slimeball X is the actual dealer rather than Slimeball Y?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 11:02 PM

I won't vote no- due to the verbiage behind it- as that is not why I don't think they are responsible.

I think that in this case that PERP is completely responsible for his actions.

He's a repeat offender
He had her for days
He made his own choices
I don't care how many drugs he took, what kind, or how often- he and his "friends" did what they did and they deserve to be punished regardless of what the dealers did. It would have been another dealer, another drug, another location.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
It would have been another dealer, another drug, another location.

exactly, they should not be tried as accomplices
http://www.mafia-designs.com

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2005, 11:08 PM

Well, at least she was murdered.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 11:32 PM

9!!! NINE!!! SWEET JESUS!!! WHAT A SICK BASTARD!!!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2005, 08:57 AM

What a good thread.

This guy - and any sexual predator - should have a choice:

1. Chemical castration and wearing an ankle monitoring bracelet that shows where he is at ALL times or

2. Stay in prison

They showed an interview with this bastard on television and guess what? He did this before - a few years ago - and in a police interview he SAYS he should be kept locked up because he cannot help himself!

WHY WAS HE OUT AND NOT WEARING A TRACKING DEVICE?

The system failed and that is a huge issue.

This guy for this little girl here and then there was the bastard that killed the little girl in Sarasota last year, remember? (The one that grabbed her as she walked home from a friend's house - he was hiding behind a car wash and he grabbed her.)

The drug dealers are another story. The penalty for drug dealing should be VERY HARSH. Yeah, Singapore harsh or Turkey harsh or China harsh or Saudi Arabia harsh.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2005, 09:29 AM

"I feel that prison is not going to help me," Couey said on the 1991 tape. "I got a 10-year sentence and I got out in three years and it doesn't really help. I feel that I need help for myself, that is why I am confessing to the crime I did tonight because I want help for myself, so I will never have to be this again. I mean I feel bad about it, I really do. I feel that if I can get help for myself then I can make a better person out of myself.

Officer Angel Conti took the confession from Couey and offered a report of the incident.

"Couey admitted that this was not the first child that he had ever touched," Conti said in 1991. "However, this was the first time he was caught. Couey admitted to molesting his wife's daughter however she agreed not to report the incident if he left the house and gave her a divorce, which he did. Couey knows he has a problem, however he has never sought medical assistance to help him control his sexual attraction for young children".

Couey was arrested after the 1991 incident and booked for lewd and lascivious acts. He ended up pleading guilty to a lesser charge of attempted molestation and given five years, Local 6 News reported.

Couey was arrested 25 times in Florida.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 10:15 AM

I agree with the concept of having both the dealer and the criminal/customer/addict in question having the full arm of the law against them, but unfortunately I doubt it would ever work in practice.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2005, 10:41 AM

No, I'd say they're not responsible for this. I would hold drug dealers responsible for second-degree murder concerning their own customers, but this particular case has too many levels of indirection for there to be any real culpability.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2005, 10:49 AM

As disgusting as this is, charging the dealer is as bad as charging Rockstar for people that go on GTA binges.

People have to be responsible for their own actions.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2005, 11:09 AM

Drugs don't kill people - people kill people!

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2005, 11:23 AM

I hold the view that there is one truly deterrant punishment for rape: chemical castration and chemical impotence + monitoring hardware.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 24, 2005, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
This guy - and any sexual predator - should have a choice:

1. Chemical castration and wearing an ankle monitoring bracelet that shows where he is at ALL times or
So called "chemical castration" is NOT the answer to controlling sexual predators. By the time they become predators, it is the predation that rules them. Sex is just the method, not the object.
Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
They showed an interview with this bastard on television and guess what? He did this before - a few years ago - and in a police interview he SAYS he should be kept locked up because he cannot help himself!

WHY WAS HE OUT AND NOT WEARING A TRACKING DEVICE?
He was probably being as straightforward as he's ever been in his life. This is an illness, and so far it's proven to be incurable. Successful treatments have dwindled down to permanent incarceration and minute-by-minute tracking of the individual. Neither are "desirable" treatments.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 11:02 PM

Maybe sexual predation is not an illness but simply a selfish, evil, and criminally exploitative behavior. Some of these people may actually be choosing to harm children and get sexual pleasure from it. It's sickening, but it may not always be caused by mental illness.

jbartone
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2005, 12:49 AM

Why not just shoot him between the eyes?

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by jbartone:
Why not just shoot him between the eyes?
Much too quick and pleasant.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Mar 25, 2005, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by selowitch:
Much too quick and pleasant.
you want him to suffer? he already said so himself that he is suffering from his problem and he wants help. don't get me wrong, he a sick f***, but I don't think the answer is to make him suffer through a long death.
Also, bartenders are held to a certain degree of liabilty if a customer drinks too much and crashed his car, how is this different?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2005, 05:03 AM

Maybe sexual predation is not an illness but simply a selfish, evil, and criminally exploitative behavior. Some of these people may actually be choosing to harm children and get sexual pleasure from it. It's sickening, but it may not always be caused by mental illness.
Correct delineation

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

roberto blanco
Senior User
Mar 25, 2005, 06:28 AM

Maybe sexual predation is not an illness but simply a selfish, evil, and criminally exploitative behavior.
why does one have to neccessarily exculde the other? oh right, - your religion of choice needs to fufill the stupid "judgementalism" quota.

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

:XI:
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Well, at least she was murdered.
Was that you trying to be funny?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2005, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by :XI::
Was that you trying to be funny?
No. She was spared the agony of having to live with being raped at 9-years-old. I happen to believe rape is worse than murder because with rape the victim has to live with it and the assailant gets to revel in it. It's a lifetime of insult that both the victim and the victim's family has to live with. With murder, it's a one less person suffering.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2005, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
I think that in this case that PERP is completely responsible for his actions.
I've taken tons of drugs. Not once did I rape and murder a 9 year old girl.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2005, 06:59 PM

I think one can make a legal argument that if the crime would likely not have been committed had the drugs not been given to him, that ipso facto would establish the dealers as accomplices. Proving that prima facie case would be difficult, however, in most states.

Forum Links
Forum Rules