Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Quick Question...

Quick Question...
Beewee
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2002, 08:16 PM

I tried to convert a MPEG-2 file to MPEG-4 and it threw an error at me "bad public movie atom"

Anyone have any idea what this means and how to get around it?

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Nov 14, 2002, 11:12 PM

what program did you use to convert, and what is the source and status of the mpeg-2 file? is it muxed with audio, or just video?
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Beewee  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2002, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by lucylawless:
what program did you use to convert, and what is the source and status of the mpeg-2 file? is it muxed with audio, or just video?
I ripped it off the spider-man DVD (using 0sex). It was ripped into elem. Streams so I could have the audio and video seperate, then the AC3 was converted to an aiff and I opened the MP2 file in quicktime, I copied the audio and added it to the video track, exported it to MP4 and it worked! For the first half of the movie, but on the second half it only lets me export the audio and video seperately. Once I add the 2 together I get "a bad public movie atom was found in the file"

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Nov 15, 2002, 08:31 PM

I don't know what a bad movie atom is, but why don't you try exporting the video before adding the audio (add them together at the end)?

if that still doesn't work, try using a different MPEG-2 decoder (MP2 is different from MPEG-2. MP2 means MPEG-1 layer 2, and is the audio format commonly found in MPEG-1 streams. Likewise, mp3 means MPEG-1 layer 3, and oddly enough mp4 means MPEG-4), encoding to mov with the mp4 codec, then exporting the result to mp4 (file format) in passthrough mode from QTPro, if desired. Some programs that use different MPEG-2 decoders are MacMPEG2Decoder (simplest), MacMPEG2Converter (fastest), and MediaPipe (most powerfull). ffmpeg is probably a fifth option, but you would have to output to divx, not Apple's mp4.
( Last edited by lucylawless; Nov 15, 2002 at 08:37 PM. )
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Forum Links
Forum Rules