Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Wave--> mp3 converter???

Wave--> mp3 converter???
Rinpoche
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2002, 01:43 PM

Can anyone give me a link on the best program that handles this function? I'm a recently switched user who needs to transfer all my PC mp3's into my powerbook.

Another question, what hardware/software do I need to transfer the files? Right now I'm burning CD's and moving them into my MAC which is probably not the most efficient method of handling this. I'm sure by networking I can accomplish this but what exactly do I need? Pardon my ignorance.

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 02:09 PM

I'm not sure if itunes can convert wave files or only aiff. But you can use Audacity to convert wave to aiff and iTunes to convert the aiff. That is the free way. I'm sure Audion or other pay mp3 players/converters can do it directly. Audacity can be found at www.sourceforge.net. It is free and very useful.

nuckin futs
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2002, 02:14 PM

cacophonyalso works. It's shareware, but it's fully functional even if you don't register.

Ganesha
Senior User
Nov 27, 2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Rinpoche:
Can anyone give me a link on the best program that handles this function? I'm a recently switched user who needs to transfer all my PC mp3's into my powerbook.

Another question, what hardware/software do I need to transfer the files? Right now I'm burning CD's and moving them into my MAC which is probably not the most efficient method of handling this. I'm sure by networking I can accomplish this but what exactly do I need? Pardon my ignorance.
iTunes will handle the wav -> mp3 just fine.

As for networking, does the PC have a ethernet card in it? If so just plug the two together with a cross over cable (does any know if the power books like the powermacs have auto detecting ports? If they do, you can use a plain patch cable to do it). Turn on sharing on the PC on the folders you want to transfer (right click/sharing...), and then on the mac, from the Finder, go/connect to server...)

Note: Networking instructions are for 10.2+

[Edited for typos]
( Last edited by Ganesha; Nov 27, 2002 at 05:52 PM. )

Nap
Nov 27, 2002, 03:50 PM

I don't have iTunes on my old iMac so I am not sure if it does wave->mp3 but if it doesn't then you can give BladeEnc a try. Coming from the PC world you may be familiar with the PC version. The Mac version is freeware and can be found via
www.versiontracker.com. It definitely does wave to mp3.

You have a network card built into your Mac. If you have one for your PC then I believe all you need is a cross-over cable to network the two machines.

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Nov 27, 2002, 05:38 PM

for those following along, Ganesha meant "the Finder", not "the Finger". You'll have to go to the lounge for instructions on how to use the Finger.

and so this post isn't entirely useless, my dad has a Tibook 400, which I believe was the first gen of G4 powerbooks, and the first gen of macs with auto-detecting ethernet ports. So anyway, I would be very surprised if new powerbooks don't have this feature
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Forum Links
Forum Rules