Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > UBB, visited links, repeat visits

UBB, visited links, repeat visits
Linda
Mar 27, 2000, 03:46 PM

Okay, I've read nearly all of the posts here and searched every preference I can find, and I still have this question:

When reading UBB boards (MacNN, Macfixit) using Netscape, links I visited on a previous visit are grey, showing me that I've read them.

I visited these boards last night with IE 5.0, and now I'm back today--but all the links to posts I visited yesterday are blue again. How can I change this so I know at a glance which threads I'm trying to keep abreast of? This goes for Forum topics as well as individual threads within the topic.

Thanks muchly for all your help!

Linda

Linda
Mar 28, 2000, 11:35 AM

Oh well...

Couldn't get this fixed or resolved, no matter what I tried. I'm pretty sure it must just be me, or someone else would have screamed about it by now.

I'm visiting you today courtesy of Netscape.

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2000, 01:42 PM

I haven't had this problem. I'd suggest deleting the Explorer folder inside System Folder->Preferences and trying again.

Oh, be sure to back up the Favorites file, if you want to keep it.

jsteinborn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2002, 11:57 AM

Linda,

Did deleting the prefs solve your problem? Just wondering. I'm having the same problem.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2002, 07:46 PM

That's not a 'problem'. These records aren't meant to be kept for long periods of time, tracking where you've been, etc. Instead, the people running the forum need to use the features their software provides to them and help users to know how to use the unread posts feature, and the show last unread posts in a feature. Also, the little icons on a thread help you do the same thing.

jsteinborn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 10:08 AM

What about Internet Explorer? That fact that when i visit a website's links and the next day they are shown as not visited. I would the links to be shown in a different color. Can ie do this?

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2002, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by jsteinborn:
What about Internet Explorer? That fact that when i visit a website's links and the next day they are shown as not visited. I would the links to be shown in a different color. Can ie do this?
It only remembers links as visited if the link is in its History, you can adjust how many links it keeps in its History by going to prefs->Web Browser->Advanced.

In prefs->Web Browser->Web Content you can set your default colors for links and visited links. This is overridden by the site if it specifically says the links should be a certain color. You can, in turn, override that (same pref location) by telling IE to use your style sheet instead of the sites.
~BS

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2002, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by jsteinborn:
In a very similar thread iMacMike pointed out that IE actually needs the link in it's history and it needs to have been looked at that calendar day. So if you click on the link at 11:59 pm it won't stay visited for long. Not the most intelligent behavior coming out of MS...
~BS

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2002, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by MrBS:
Not the most intelligent behavior coming out of MS...
~BS
[redundant]That's why the forum has icons for you to identify if you have participated, read, etc, the post or not.[/redundant]

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2002, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by mrbiiggy2:

[redundant]That's why the forum has icons for you to identify if you have participated, read, etc, the post or not.[/redundant]
If forums were the only things browsers were used to view, then it would be redundant.
~BS

Forum Links
Forum Rules