Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > John Dvorak must be humiliated a LOT

John Dvorak must be humiliated a LOT
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 03:51 AM

I was reading one of two now "infamous" articles by John Dvorak where he actually praises Apple on the new Mac mini. Given his track record on "usless" items (like, say, the GUI, the mouse, and the 3.5" floppy) I found this comment amusing.

If indeed the market for small PCs skyrockets, you then have to ask yourself, "Why the heck does Apple have to be the company that once again lights the fuse?" How humiliating.
As if the iMac, USB, FireWire, and the iPod weren't humiliating enough.

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 04:10 AM

I sometimes wonder if a higher power put Apple here to punish Dvorak!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 04:16 AM

Who?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 05:37 AM

I don't find much wrong with that quotation. He wrote "once again," which means he realizes that Apple has lit the fuse on hot new trends multiple times. What's wrong with saying that? Dvorak may not be a very strong thinker, but I must say that I do not see the point of this thread.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nat
Apr 6, 2005, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
I don't find much wrong with that quotation. He wrote "once again," which means he realizes that Apple has lit the fuse on hot new trends multiple times. What's wrong with saying that? Dvorak may not be a very strong thinker, but I must say that I do not see the point of this thread.
How humiliating? You don't find that objectionable? He's personally humiliated that a computer company has made a good product. Is he humiliated when Intel or MS or Dell or iRiver or Creative Zen or any other company makes a good product?

This is his mo, he constantly drops these little digs against Apple/Mac/Mac users, he plants the seed. It's not like Yugo has finally made a good car for crying out loud (that would be the equivalent of MS making a good OS).

Perhaps you didn't find anything wrong when he wrote his famous Mac users are perverts article. Not obnoxious, not a pain in the butt, not fantatics, but perverts. Yeah, a real strong thinker alright.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by nat:
How humiliating? You don't find that objectionable? He's personally humiliated that a computer company has made a good product. Is he humiliated when Intel or MS or Dell or iRiver or Creative Zen or any other company makes a good product?

This is his mo, he constantly drops these little digs against Apple/Mac/Mac users, he plants the seed. It's not like Yugo has finally made a good car for crying out loud (that would be the equivalent of MS making a good OS).

Perhaps you didn't find anything wrong when he wrote his famous Mac users are perverts article. Not obnoxious, not a pain in the butt, not fantatics, but perverts. Yeah, a real strong thinker alright.
Maybe I need to see the full context of the article in order to get indignant, but I still don't see where the beef is. How humiliating? What is being implied by that comment? How humiliating to PC companies is it that Apple is the only innovative company? How humiliating to PC fanboys? Humiliating to Dvorak's diminutive mind? I choose to view that comment in a positive light. And no, I did not know about Dvorak calling us perverts. Perhaps he views himself as an ex-pervert and is simply projecting, since he used to write the back column of MacUser.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by nat:
No, because he doesn't have a grudge against these companies. By his own admission, he's had a personal vendetta against Apple ever since MacWorld fired him, way back in the 1980s.

This man is a poster-child for irresponsible, unprofessional journalism. Even among analysts and editors, the opinions expressed aren't supposed to be tools of personal revenge.

Sadly, the article in which he stated this has long since disappeared from the Web, but it was the one dealing with "the last MacWorld conference ever". You can still find references to it on a few pages.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 08:19 AM

He's made more of a name for himself by being a troll and an M$ apologist than he ever did when he was trying to be responsible.
Personally, I find his writing style trite, clunky and not very readable, much less the content.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

nat
Apr 6, 2005, 10:16 AM

I've often wished I had kept a log of his childish rants against all things Apple.
There's the switcher ads where he literally attacked the people in them based on their looks, guessing what kind of losers they were from their appearance.
The "book reivew" in Forbes where he reviewed a book on Jobs, well, he reviewed it til he got to the point where the author basically said Jobs was an ass. From that point Dvorak ranted about how anybody that owns Apple stock should sell it because nobody should own stock in a company run by such people. Really.
Those are just a few of the blatant ones but what annoys me most is the little digs he drops as often as possible, planting the seed in the minds of people who don't know better.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Apr 6, 2005, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
No, because he doesn't have a grudge against these companies. By his own admission, he's had a personal vendetta against Apple ever since MacWorld fired him, way back in the 1980s.
He was writing for MacWorld in 1995.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Twilly Spree:
He was writing for MacWorld in 1995.
I can't stand Dvorak either. And it's not just because of his hatred for Apple. I didn't know that he got fired from Macworld, but I can well understand it. He's the yin/yang opposite of an Apple zealot.

the funny thing is though, that his articles in Byte in the 1980's were actually very good, in depth and informative. maybe he just sort of misses the good old days of DOS and ISA jumper settings.
weird wabbit

Sarc
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 01:21 PM

ok, so everyone knows that Dvorak is pretty much a sold out, with no vision (for this industry at least).
Someone should write an article, taking a look at his track record, and count how many times he has been right. I mean, he needs to be discredited, urgently.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 6, 2005, 01:31 PM

Dvorak sold out.. yep... and

"Pickles are just Cucumbers that sold out."

- Mitch Hedberg

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:
ok, so everyone knows that Dvorak is pretty much a sold out, with no vision (for this industry at least).
Someone should write an article, taking a look at his track record, and count how many times he has been right. I mean, he needs to be discredited, urgently.
It's been done. Just google around for a bit.
weird wabbit

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 03:43 PM

memory-minus
Senior User
Apr 6, 2005, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757578,00.asp

Original article still up.
Edit: I'm a douche.
( Last edited by memory-minus; Apr 6, 2005 at 04:30 PM. )

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 05:29 PM

Humiliation is not a possible reaction in his case. He surely knows he's "not news - just entertainment value."

You know... like the National Enquirer.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2005, 05:43 PM

Dvorak shows up on the Apple Death Knell Counter 3 times. (3 out of 45) He's a tool.

frankiec
Apr 6, 2005, 06:40 PM

No one cares what Dvorak thinks except his golfing buddies at PC Mag that keep him employeed, a small number of dorks on the Internet, and the hookers on 12th street that he keeps employeed.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
Humiliation is not a possible reaction in his case. He surely knows he's "not news - just entertainment value."

You know... like the National Enquirer.
Except that the National Enquirer is the #1 circulated "news paper" in the U.S. That'd just damn scary.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2005, 04:24 AM

dvorak keyboards suck !
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Sosa
Senior User
Jun 8, 2005, 12:42 AM

Well it looks like he got this one right, and he is gloating about it.

The Mac-Intel Computer, Finally!. Funny though, he doesn't seem like a Mac hater in this article.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 01:01 AM

Ya he has no clue what he is talking about.

"Prediction: Apple Computer Corp. will switch to Intel processors within the next 12 to 18 months"
That was about 18 months ago.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,939886,00.asp

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2005, 01:06 AM

He Is God

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 01:13 AM

He's a dick, I can't believe anyone actually listens to what he has to say.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Ya he has no clue what he is talking about.

"Prediction: Apple Computer Corp. will switch to Intel processors within the next 12 to 18 months"
That was about 18 months ago.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,939886,00.asp

A broken watch is right twice a day. He lucked out.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 12:37 PM

i predict paris hilton will be pregnant within 18 months

Forum Links
Forum Rules