Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > internet FTP filesharing ONE specific shared folder?

internet FTP filesharing ONE specific shared folder?
Headshot
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2006, 01:39 PM

I see a lot of info in Mac Help and here on how to enable sharing over the internet, but
I can't find anything pertaining to a specific shared folder. I want to share photos and movies, etc. with friends and family, but I don't want to have access to every folder in their PC/Mac and I don't want them to have access to everything on my G5.

Any info on this here?
Thanks!
-matt

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2006, 04:26 AM

Try to look at Pureftpd or rumpus or crushftp.

Peter

whgoodman
Feb 24, 2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Headshot
I see a lot of info in Mac Help and here on how to enable sharing over the internet, but
I can't find anything pertaining to a specific shared folder. I want to share photos and movies, etc. with friends and family, but I don't want to have access to every folder in their PC/Mac and I don't want them to have access to everything on my G5.

Any info on this here?
Thanks!
-matt

If FTP is the route you want to take to share the files then you might take a look at creating an account which is chroot'd to the directory that you want to share. Something like....

http://www.osxfaq.com/tips/unix-tricks/week63/friday.ws

Headshot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2006, 09:19 PM

OK,
I'm going to modify this thread so that it better reflects my needs.

All I want to do is be able to e-mail files larger than 10 MB or anything with no size limit.
Yahoo Instant Messenger won't let me mail anything at all, and Adium, which is the most beautiful Chat program I've seen yet, won't let you send files either. I don't know why there is even a file-send feature at all on that program.

These Chroot's and all that stuff is a completely foreign language, wasy beyond my comprehension, I surrender to that fact completely. I looked at all these programs for FTP, and I thought I was very well versed in Mac functionality, photography is my business.

I don't really need to fileshare or make folders available, all I want do is share big pix and music and movies with my dad in St. Louis and friends elsewhere.

Isn't there any simple hassle-free to send these big files to friends with PCs and Macs???

thanks again for all you efforts...

whgoodman
Feb 24, 2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Headshot
OK,
I'm going to modify this thread so that it better reflects my needs.

All I want to do is be able to e-mail files larger than 10 MB or anything with no size limit.
Yahoo Instant Messenger won't let me mail anything at all, and Adium, which is the most beautiful Chat program I've seen yet, won't let you send files either. I don't know why there is even a file-send feature at all on that program.

These Chroot's and all that stuff is a completely foreign language, wasy beyond my comprehension, I surrender to that fact completely. I looked at all these programs for FTP, and I thought I was very well versed in Mac functionality, photography is my business.

I don't really need to fileshare or make folders available, all I want do is share big pix and music and movies with my dad in St. Louis and friends elsewhere.

Isn't there any simple hassle-free to send these big files to friends with PCs and Macs???

thanks again for all you efforts...
Apache is part of the OS package and it's fairly simple to set up a web page which is limited to a single area on your system. Viability of this option pretty much depend on your ISP, what they allow and how much you want to work at it. Many home ISP's won't let you publish a web page on port 80 [the default] so you would have to change it to something other than 80. Setting up the web page and changing the default port is pretty well scripted in how-to docs on the net.

Headshot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2006, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by whgoodman
Apache is part of the OS package and it's fairly simple to set up a web page which is limited to a single area on your system. Viability of this option pretty much depend on your ISP, what they allow and how much you want to work at it. Many home ISP's won't let you publish a web page on port 80 [the default] so you would have to change it to something other than 80. Setting up the web page and changing the default port is pretty well scripted in how-to docs on the net.

OK, thanks I'll give it a shot!

Forum Links
Forum Rules