Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac user name/

imac user name/
Food Stylist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2007, 10:58 AM

My husband bought me an imac for xmas and set it up with a user name that he doesn't remember. I am very green on the mac so where do i find my original user name so i can send my e-mails out in web mail? I have a new user name for new Tiger software but that isn't working for e-mail. the food stylist

ibook_steve
Jan 24, 2007, 12:50 PM

The "user" name on the Mac is only for your local account on the machine, not for email. The system account names are listed in the Accounts preferences in System Preferences. For email, it's whatever name you register, either on something like AOL or web mail like gmail or Yahoo. There's nowhere to look for that information if you've forgotten it. Just register a new email account. It's free!

Steve

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2007, 04:43 PM

You could also look in Applications -> utilities -> keychain access (if I remember correctly). This is where you can see the stored passwords, and there might be something you could use to trigger the memory.

Forum Links
Forum Rules