Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > GeForce 4 Ti shipping? Hopefully...

GeForce 4 Ti shipping? Hopefully...
[email protected]
May 10, 2002, 02:53 PM

I recently read on xlr8yourmac.com that a fellow mac user in Europe recently got an e-mail stating that the GeForce 4 Ti video cards were shipping. Has anyone else gotten this e-mail?

Yaser Herrera

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
May 10, 2002, 07:48 PM

I hope they're shipping because this delay is getting ridiculous.

[email protected]  (op)
May 10, 2002, 08:33 PM

I just got an e-mail from Apple; they still claim a June ship date on the cards, with no definitive ship date. Ahh well, I guess I can wait. Mmmm, Quartz Extreme on a GeForce 4 Ti....nice....

Yaser

Gerson
May 10, 2002, 09:06 PM

I don't understand; haven't those cards been out for months?? Or is that just for PCs?

Forum Regular
May 10, 2002, 09:14 PM

Yeah, I've had my Ti 4600 in my PC since March.

[email protected]  (op)
May 10, 2002, 09:25 PM

Quite unfortunately, those cards have only been out on the PC for the past few months. Mac users are still waiting around....sigh.

Yaser

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2002, 01:32 AM

It baffles me that a card that is fundamentally the same yet sells for an additional $125 per is delayed to such an extreme. To one of nVidia's largest accounts, no less. You would think the 7500 unit back-order would be some motivation.

By July the GF4 will be ready for it revision. nVidia has already said there will be a summer announcement.... I feel for those that bought one in February. They paid top dollar, don't even have it 3 months later and the unit will be replaced in 2-3 months.

It is just a shame.

Grrrrrrr

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

[email protected]  (op)
May 11, 2002, 01:42 AM

I wouldn't feel too bad for those who bought the (then and still now) top of the line card (like myself) - We got the GeForce 4 Ti for free, we got to keep the MX version (e-bay anyone!?), and when (if) nVidia announces something better, we will still have one bad ass video card. 10.2 here I come!

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 11, 2002, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by zazou:
<STRONG>It baffles me that a card that is fundamentally the same yet sells for an additional $125 per is delayed to such an extreme. To one of nVidia's largest accounts, no less. You would think the 7500 unit back-order would be some motivation.
</STRONG>
The way Nvidia is going, Apple won't be one of their "big" accounts for long... first the Geforce 4MX has problems (for over 3 months now, alot of Geforce 4MX users are trading in their Geforce 4MXs for ATI cards), then the Geforce 4 Ti is delayed for months. And people thought ATI was bad...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

roiler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2002, 03:08 PM

What has been the prob with the geforce 4MX ? It was preinstalled in my 933 and has been a real sweet heart.
http://www.orangeinsider.org/

[email protected]  (op)
May 12, 2002, 03:14 PM

Apparently, some of the MX cards have caused random flashes on people's screens. Not all MX cards do this (as stated before) and mine does not either. I bought my Dualie in March, however. Maybe they fixed any problems they had then?

Yaser

careca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2002, 03:14 AM

The last email from Apple said it would be June. Oh well, my MX card is doing a fine job until then.

Petter
Forum Regular
May 13, 2002, 06:01 AM

The GF4MX is messed up.
My Dual flashes, does not produce a picture on wake up and sometimes it repetes the upper 80 pixels of the finder 10 times or something after wakeup!

I've had it on service twice - they have swoped cards both times and still the same crappy flashes... Apple have now agreed on declaring it DOA and I will get a new one on Wednesday.

whats the odds for my new Dual to have the same crappy card?
Petter

-the iconoclasts, the creative thinkers,
the folks who can't relate to beige.

[email protected]  (op)
May 13, 2002, 02:18 PM

With your luck, pretty good. Seriously though, I haven't had any problems with my MX card (Knocking on wood as we speak). Just hope for the best.

Back on topic, I assume that no one has received shipping confirmation on their GeForce 4 Ti then?

Yaser

hadocon
Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 02:38 PM

I am interested in upgrading my GForce2MX/TwinView to a GForce4Ti when it is available. I am wondering if the GForce4Ti will support dual monitors?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 13, 2002, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by hadocon:
<STRONG>I am interested in upgrading my GForce2MX/TwinView to a GForce4Ti when it is available. I am wondering if the GForce4Ti will support dual monitors?</STRONG>
The Geforce 4Ti does support Dual Monitors... I believe it has an ADC and a DVI connector, so it can support dual digital monitors. It also comes with a DVI-to-VGA adapter if you want to hook up a VGA monitor. See Apple's web page for info on it...

As for the Geforce 4MX, I believe it's a bad batch of cards, but it could be the drivers and it could depend on the hardware configuration of the machine.
MacBook Pro

[email protected]  (op)
May 14, 2002, 01:34 AM

Based on xlr8yourmac.com and MacNN, it would appear that the Ti cards are indeed shipping. Hopefully this is true; I'm very excited about getting mine...it's a real shame Jaguar is still months away from release. I'm sure Quartz Extreme will fly on Ti!

Yaser

Forum Regular
May 14, 2002, 03:12 AM

The Geforce4 Ti still isn't a BTO option.

[email protected]  (op)
May 14, 2002, 04:44 AM

Yes it is; check it out. As of 1:43 am, Tuesday, the Ti card is a BTO option.

Yaser

Forum Regular
May 14, 2002, 04:56 AM

Nope. As of 1:53 PST, you cannot order a BTO PM w/ a Geforce 4 Ti.
(p.s. try hitting the "continue" button)

mikerally
Senior User
May 14, 2002, 05:46 AM

I think they need to clear the backlog of backorders for this card first.

Then they can concentrate on selling it to new customers.

maffioso
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2002, 09:39 AM

So in Apple terms, how long do you think it will take to ship, I want one in my 867Mhz!
CHRIS SMITH

[email protected]  (op)
May 14, 2002, 11:39 AM

It would appear that I jumped the gun; you are correct, you still can't order the Ti BTO. Hmm, I wonder just how bad the supply problems are. Hopefully I'll still get mine soon. Ha.

I would still expect them to ship the cards as an upgrade for older systems in June, maybe July. But who really knows?

Yaser

careca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2002, 12:28 PM

I JUST GOT MINE!!

Updating my post from late Sunday night: Apple emailed me yesterday that the 4Ti that they owed me for my 933mHz had shipped. It came by overnight FedEx and I just got it. Now I'll have to wait until tonight to install it and see what difference it makes.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 14, 2002, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by careca:
<STRONG>I JUST GOT MINE!!

Updating my post from late Sunday night: Apple emailed me yesterday that the 4Ti that they owed me for my 933mHz had shipped. It came by overnight FedEx and I just got it. Now I'll have to wait until tonight to install it and see what difference it makes. </STRONG>
Congrats...

This means of course that you have to provide us with Quake 3, RTCW, or Unreal Tournament benchmarks.

What was your previouus card? How much faster is the 4Ti?
MacBook Pro

KidRed
Professional Poster
May 14, 2002, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
<STRONG>Apparently, some of the MX cards have caused random flashes on people's screens. Not all MX cards do this (as stated before) and mine does not either. I bought my Dualie in March, however. Maybe they fixed any problems they had then?

Yaser</STRONG>
It seems there may be a monitor connection. A lot of people with the dual and either the cinema display or ASD get the flashes. I have it with my dual gig and cinema display. There's specualtion (wishful thinking?) that Apple may give us a free Ti.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

[email protected]  (op)
May 14, 2002, 02:21 PM

I have the 17" ADC along with my GF 4 MX card, and still don't see any flashes. I also agree, a free Ti card is probably Very Wishful thinking!

Ah well, I'm still waiting around for my shipping confirmation. I need to get on this!

[email protected]  (op)
May 14, 2002, 02:23 PM

Sorry, I meant 17" apple studio display. Anyway, you guys get the idea.

Forum Regular
May 14, 2002, 10:59 PM

Woo hoo! They're FINALLY available!

[email protected]  (op)
May 14, 2002, 11:02 PM

Sweet; anyone looking to buy a new Powermac any time soon should definitely save up for this card!

Forum Links
Forum Rules