Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Full Screen on Second Monitor

Full Screen on Second Monitor
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2011, 05:25 AM

So I hook up my MacBook Pro to my TV to watch movies and play games. I used to use Front Row all the time, but that's gone. So now I just open my movies directly in quicktime player. But here's the problem: every time I try to put the movie into fullscreen mode, it moves it over to the primary screen in full screen mode. The primary screen is the laptop's screen. I obviously want the video to be full screen on the TV, the external. The window is on the external when I tell it to go into full screen mode. This seems like a bug in Lion. Any ideas?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2011, 07:45 AM

I haven't tried it in Lion but it used to be that if you drag the QT window onto the second display it would go full screen on the second display.

Alternatively you could just switch the the external to be the primary display, but that won't help if you are looking to do things on the MBP while you watch films.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Alternatively you could just switch the the external to be the primary display, but that won't help if you are looking to do things on the MBP while you watch films.
Apart from that, it wouldn't work, since full-screen mode in Lion blocks out all other screens with that infernal linen.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 22, 2011, 01:58 PM

Normally QT Player goes fullscreen on whatever screen it's already on, like Waragainstsleep says. If it no longer does that, switch to a different player. I like Mplayer OSX Extended, or Movist or VLC, but you can also use front end apps for the QT framework. Like NicePlayer, Xinema, or XinePlayer.

The first 3 have setting in their preferences on which monitor to go fullscreen on. I'd expect the others to have that too.
( Last edited by reader50; Oct 22, 2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typo)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2011, 02:05 PM

I'm pretty sure the default behavior has changed in 10.7

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Apart from that, it wouldn't work, since full-screen mode in Lion blocks out all other screens with that infernal linen.
Isn't that what I said? That switching to the external as primary would stop you working on the internal screen at the same time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Isn't that what I said? That switching to the external as primary would stop you working on the internal screen at the same time.
I took your comment to refer to the menu bar and Dock then being on the external display, not that the internal display would be blanked out entirely.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 23, 2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
So I hook up my MacBook Pro to my TV to watch movies and play games. I used to use Front Row all the time, but that's gone. So now I just open my movies directly in quicktime player. But here's the problem: every time I try to put the movie into fullscreen mode, it moves it over to the primary screen in full screen mode. The primary screen is the laptop's screen. I obviously want the video to be full screen on the TV, the external. The window is on the external when I tell it to go into full screen mode. This seems like a bug in Lion. Any ideas?
Try using VLC, it's never failed me in multiple monitor setups. I have the same issue with QT as you describe on my MBP, and I have the external monitor as the main one.

This has been an issue with the QT-player since Leopard days, at least.

Forum Links
Forum Rules