Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Strangely shadowed screen

Strangely shadowed screen
hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2000, 07:14 PM

I have a Pismo 400 (6x DVD) and there seems to be something wrong with my screen. Certain areas (bottom left and right) appear either too dark or too bright (depends on if the screen is dimmed or not).
Can anyone tell me if this is something I need to worry about ...

HMR:

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2000, 09:20 AM

Hope this doesn't sound stupid or whatever, but are you sure it's nothing to do with your viewing angle/distance?

LCD screens are notorious (among designers) because it's virtually impossible to see a whole screen from the same angle with the same level of brightness/colour consistency, especially when sitting fairly close to the screen. The effect is usually quite noticeable when watching widescreen DVDs and light from the backlight "spills" into the black letterbox areas.

Well anyway I hope it's nothing serious =)

Best wishes,
Wulf

hmr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2000, 12:52 PM

This has nothing to do with the viewing angle. I'm looking straight at the screen.

Thanks anyway.

Heimir.

�ig�
Dec 9, 2000, 01:12 PM

This is the crappy backlighting. Send back it to repair.

hmr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2000, 02:48 PM

Damn. Then they have to send it to Apple (I'm living in Iceland) because Apple Iceland isn't allowed to mess with PowerBooks and iBooks.

Well, I'll go see what they say.

Thank you all!

Heimir.

torifile
Dec 9, 2000, 03:14 PM

I've got the same problem on my pismo. Strangely enough it was a problem that developed gradually. I don't usually pay attention to the bottom corners, but when I first got my computer I installed VPC and in windows the bottom corners receive alot more attention than in Mac OS. In VPC, the bottom corners were fine at first. There was no noticable difference from the rest of the screen. But as time went on, I began to notice the difference and now in VPC, it is a huge difference. I sent my computer back to Apple yesterday for the problem. Hopefully, it won't take too long to repair.

hmr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2000, 04:51 PM

WOW, this is exactly the same as with mine. Strange.

Could you tell me what Apple tells you?

Heimir Freyr
[email protected]

blindspot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2000, 04:35 AM

i'm noticing a slight discoloration in the bottom right on my screen.
it's very slight, but i think that it's there.

will apple replace the screen under the origional 1-year "limited" warrenty if it should get worse?

blindspot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2000, 04:36 AM

i'm noticing a slight discoloration in the bottom right on my screen.
it's very slight, but i think that it's there.

will apple replace the screen under the origional 1-year "limited" warrenty if it should get worse?

t_hah
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2000, 08:41 PM

I am not sure how much brighter the bottom part is on your LCD, but it is normal to some limit. There was a trhead on this as well, but on't remeber where...sorry...getting too old.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 11, 2000, 12:30 AM

Torifile, how did you convince Apple to accept the unit for repair? I was told that I would have to bring it to a dealer and have them check to see whether the screen was "in spec." But my dealer isn't convinced...

torifile
Dec 12, 2000, 03:34 PM

I don't recall them ever saying that there was a possiblity that it wouldn't be repaired. All I said was, "my screen is discolored in the bottom corners, I've tried different resolutions, different OS's (Win98 and OS X), everything." They asked me about the angle of the display and I said it didn't matter, all angles were equally bad. And I told them the problem has been getting progressively worse. They'll try to run you through all the usual diagnostic bs like booting without extensions, resetting this and that, etc, etc. Just be very firm that it's a problem and that it has gotten worse over time. Good luck.

Draks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2000, 08:43 AM

GENTLE(!!!!!) pressure over the bottom right patchy area briefly lightens that dark area.
I suspect that this patchyness is a characteristic of "large" LCD's.

Other patchy areas are probably faults

Draks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2000, 08:46 AM

Just noticed that GENTLE(!!!!!) pressure on the frame in the area of the lower right corner eliminates the dark patch.

Could this effect be due to uneven mounting pressure around the screen?

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Dec 23, 2000, 09:06 PM

I had this same phenomenon with my iBook, the upper left and lower right areas of the screen were a little darker than the rest...
Well after i dismantled and reassebled the screen, it seems to have releived a bit.

I think this dark patch is caused by the plastic changing shape over the years of use, over time the plastic shrinks, and perhaps puts a twisting force on the LCD. when I opened the display (removed the mounting screws for the panel and housing etc) it releive the tension and brought the LCD to the original shape...

s i n e
-''-..-
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Forum Links
Forum Rules