Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > File transfer

File transfer
Draks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2000, 08:33 AM

I have a Performa 5230, and a PB G3 400. How do I transfer 250 Mb of files from the 5320 to the PB without buying a SCSI Zip and a USB ZIP drive.

I would like to keep costs low eg limited to perhaps buying some sort of cable.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2000, 01:21 PM

you could buy a crossover cable and network the two machines. setup file sharing between them, copy the files, and then go find something else to do in the meantime.

-r.

denim
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2000, 01:14 PM

Or if the older machine is already networked, add the newer machine to the network and do the same thing.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Draks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2000, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
you could buy a crossover cable and network the two machines. setup file sharing between them, copy the files, and then go find something else to do in the meantime.

-r.
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. A Zip costs �119. The Performa will need a card, tbase or something at �69 +tax then the cable �19+tax. Maybe I should just get a SCSI Zip while they are still available? this redundancy of older Macs is surprising! None of my peripherals will fit the G3 PB

euro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2000, 11:04 AM

well, I suppose that's the price of progress... On the other hand, there are a lot of adapter solutions available to deal with this issue. MacAddict has a nice summary on this topic in the January 2001 magazine.

As for your particular problem, perhaps a used ZIP would indeed be the best choice - especially if you are planning on keeping the older system for a while and if you don't need to transfer files back and forth all the time (flipping ZIPs gets old too if you have massive amounts of data...). Check out some auction sites or places like smalldog for used drives. You aught to be able to fetch one for less than 50 pounds.

euro

denim
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2000, 11:33 AM

Or, if you have a lot of time available, make an archive of the stuff you want to transfer and use something like ZTERM to transfer the archive via direct serial link. It would be cheap and it wouldn't require you to buy a peripheral you're never going to use again.

On that front, you might be able to find a used ZIP drive.

I'm looking for the Performa 5230 on the AppleSpec site, and I don't see it there. Are you sure you've got the right model number?
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Draks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2000, 01:38 PM

I'm looking for the Performa 5230 on the AppleSpec site, and I don't see it there. Are you sure you've got the right model number?[/B][/QUOTE]

Dear Denim Thanks again!

Sorry the Performa is 5320

Thanks Anoop

Draks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2000, 01:42 PM

Re:File Transfer

Dear Euro Thanks for your timely advice

Does MacAddict have a website?

Thanks Anoop

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2001, 04:49 AM

MacAddict does have a website. http://www.macaddict.com/

I would suggest getting the appropriate comm slot (not PCI) Ethernet card for your model of computer and a hub. I believe that your have a Comm Slot II on that system, so you will need a Comm Slot II Ethernet Card. The two combined should not cost any more than a solitary Zip drive and you will no longer have any compatibility or data transfer issues between the two computers. I swear by home networking. You can turn your old computer into a makeshift file server and archive old data or use seldom used programs without actually loading them onto your PowerBook.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2001, 04:43 AM

I don't know the specs of your 2 machines but with any older Macs I've had to share files with I've simply connected them using a printer cable and turned file sharing on - you probably need to change the use of the port in the chooser

nothing cheaper than using a printer cable
this sig intentionally left blank

Forum Links
Forum Rules