Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help with building a PC!

Help with building a PC!
digiology2
Forum Regular
May 9, 2005, 12:49 PM

Hi, I've decided to build a cheap pc for playing movies and music in my tv room. Im having trouble:
a) finding a decent website for parts that will deliver to Ireland and
b)knowing what power supplies, and fans work with what motherboards and will be sure to fit in the case.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I was thinking about a sempron processor and a graphics card with tv in and out(maybe an ati all-in-wonder). Have not chosen any specific parts so Im open to tips!

Cheers
( Last edited by digiology2; May 9, 2005 at 12:57 PM. )

waxcrash
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by digiology2
My suggestion is you search the forums on this subject as it has been covered a million times.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by digiology2
Hi, I've decided to build a cheap pc for playing movies and music in my tv room. Im having trouble:
a) finding a decent website for parts that will deliver to Ireland and
b)knowing what power supplies, and fans work with what motherboards and will be sure to fit in the case.

I was thinking about a sempron processor and a graphics card with tv in and out(maybe an ati all-in-wonder). Have not chosen any specific parts so Im open to tips!

Cheers
Power supplies have been pretty much standardized, I'd use a 350 watt one for the system you're describing.

Fans are also pretty standardized. I have a 3.6 ghz Pentium 4 and haven't needed any more fans beyond what came on the case and what came with the processor (thats not to say the machine isn't a noisy space heater).
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ghporter
Administrator
May 9, 2005, 04:39 PM

Power supplies are usually presented as "ATX" or "mini-ATX" or whatever. That shows you what form-factor motherboards they'll work with. Get more than enough capacity so it will run cooler.

If you don't mind a "PC case" in your entertainment center, then go with a mini-ATX motherboard and case. That gives you a fairly small platform, but still can offer a number of PCI card slots.

I can't help you on sites that will ship to Ireland. Sorry.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2005, 05:32 PM

If you pay for my plane ticket, I'll be your delivery boy.

I wanna go to Ireland.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

digiology2  (op)
Forum Regular
May 9, 2005, 06:12 PM

why would you wanna go to ireland? : ) Thanks for the replys, so your saying I can buy any standard fans and power supply and it'll fit in my case connect up and keep it cool enough?
Im just afraid of buying lots of parts and never figuring out how to put it together (let alot install windows!)

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2005, 12:47 AM

Could you not just pick up a second hand PC from somewhere in your town/city, save having to get it BTO and shipped? :S

I don't know.. getting a PC BTO when all you want it for is music and video seems a bit OTO.. BTO's tend to be normally for more high-end users.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 01:00 AM

You should defnitely get a Shuttle. They're great...small not that ugly and they don't make too much noise.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
May 10, 2005, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols
You should defnitely get a Shuttle. They're great...small not that ugly and they don't make too much noise.

seconded.

ghporter
Administrator
May 10, 2005, 09:17 AM

The only problem with the Shuttle extremely small boxes is that they are not a widely adopted standard size and take special motherboards. There aren't a lot of sources for parts, so you won't be able to take advantage of price competition as you can with more common standard sized PC parts.

With that said, I'm considering two Shuttle barebones systems; one for a flexible NAS box and another for a DVR/PVR project. They ARE extremely quiet and cool running, and Shuttle has apparently committed to providing ample power to these boxes, even with the tiny power supply form factor required.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules