Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Connection problems

Connection problems
digiology2
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2005, 06:39 PM

Hi, I am using the latest version of panther on a dual quicksilver g4. I've been having problems with my broadband connection. Im using a ZyXEL Prestige 600 using ethernet to connect it.

I am able to surf but when I download my connection is lost after a few minutes of downloading (im usually using bit torrent or limewire). As far as I know its not a problem with these apps as downloading a file fairly large file in safari should also do the same.
I've done some maintenance like running tiger cache cleaner but still no luck.
I rang my ISP and they said the connection was fine and I had not exceeded my monthly download limit.

Any thoughts?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 09:23 PM

First off, I hope you're not downloading copyrighted material.

Secondly, I'm guessing that you're saturating your upload bandwidth. Throttle down your upload speeds and see what happens.

digiology2  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2005, 08:14 AM

hmm, the problem just seemed to go away! I'll watch out for my upload speed if it happens again, thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2005, 10:15 AM

This is one situation where this old "comm" guy can say "It's probably the distant end." There are SO MANY BitTorrent and Limewire nodes out there that are on fairly slow connections, or connections that are throttled or bit-limited in some way, that complaints about slow or disconnecting links on those networks are to be expected. The major technical problem with P2P is that without a hierarchy and established minimum connection speed requirements, "you get what you pay for." In this case, spotty and unreliable connections.

And since your speed problem "just seemed to go away," I'll bet that the real problem was something like an ISP limiting some node's bandwidth for excessive use. BitTorrent is such a bandwidth hog that is will take every bit of bandwidth it possibly can, and if the ISP doesn't throttle each user, it can take a lot of an ISP's bandwidth too! That's cool for about five minutes, but when it starts impacting EVERY OTHER USER OF THAT ISP, then it's a real problem. "Out of the box," BitTorrent is going to be BAD for other users. You have to set it up to "play nice" with your connection or you'll have problems.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
This is one situation where this old "comm" guy can say "It's probably the distant end." There are SO MANY BitTorrent and Limewire nodes out there that are on fairly slow connections, or connections that are throttled or bit-limited in some way, that complaints about slow or disconnecting links on those networks are to be expected. The major technical problem with P2P is that without a hierarchy and established minimum connection speed requirements, "you get what you pay for." In this case, spotty and unreliable connections.
The reason I mentioned upload throttling is because digiology2 complained about an inability to browse using Safari when his connection went down.

Cable modems don't have symmetric upload/download speeds, so it's easy to upload data at too high a rate and choke off packet requests. You have to throttle back your upload rate to 80% or something to allow packet requests/acks to get through.

Forum Links
Forum Rules