Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac mini update to arrive 9/5

Mac mini update to arrive 9/5
Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2006, 07:42 AM

According to this AI rumor an update of the Mac mini is scheduled for Sep 5.

I'm expecting the single core version to disappear. I don't think any changes will be made to the case. But what do you guys expect? Yonah, Merom, or Allendale? New case or new form factor?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 08:23 AM

I very much doubt the mini will be upgraded, unless the MacBook lines are too updated. There is no way the Mini will get a Merom if the MBPs and MBs still carry Yonah.

OTOH, being the lowest end Mac, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mini got stuck with another rev as a Yonah machine, whilst the others are updated to Merom.

I also doubt a new case or form factor for the mini. I think the design is perfect, and personally I don't think the actual look can be improved on. One things for sure, it always has to be the same size (apart from maybe height), as the optical drive is basically what determined the Mini's size.

One things for sure, Apple should certainly get new machines out of the door ASAP, to beat the competition to mainstream Core2Duo machines. The iPods are also getting VERY long in the tooth IMO
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2006, 10:00 AM

Oooh, that's my Dads birthday. Hopefully the Mini may get some upgrade to the graphics too. I REALLY need to replace this PowerMac.

mash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 09:05 PM

Does this mean for $600 you will get an even better machine, or are they just making better, more expensive models? I just bought an intel solo, I would return it and get the $600 back while I can if they were going to drop soon.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 12:41 AM

Allendale isn't ready, Merom is too pricey; I say 1.66/1.83Ghz Yonah.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Merom is too pricey
I doubt you know that, since Intel has not yet said what Yonah will cost once Merom ships.
http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/p...price_list.pdf

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 12:04 PM

Here's the leaked Merom pricing I've seen:
1.66 $209
1.83 $240
2.0 $294
2.16 $423
and so on

Yonah is currently:
1.66 $241
1.83 $241
2.0 $294
2.16 $423

With Intel advertising a ~20% performance bump at the same clockrate with Merom, I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that Yonah will drop in price.

I predict a $499 Core Duo.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2006, 02:33 AM

We have all seen those prices before. Problem is, Intel has not said what Yonah prices will be once Merom is released. And there are rumors suggesting Yonah will be more expensive than Merom once Merom hits the market.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 02:52 AM

I think that a speed bumped Mini is not out of the question. I mean Yonah-Core, but faster. Other lines may see simultatneous and similar bumps.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2006, 03:29 AM

Yeah, I agree. I'm not sure about Yonah vs. Merom, but actually I don't think it really makes a difference either. Apple should just take the cheaper one. I'd like to see a $499 1.66 GHz Duo and a $599 1.83 GHz Duo. Then fill up that huge gap to the MP with a nice headless expandable Mac.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 02:05 AM

Honestly, what I most hope for in the mini is a standard 3.5" HDD. This would free the mini from current 2.5" drive capacity limitations and the extra cost to upgrade.

I also hope and expect that the Core Solo will go away and all mini configs become Core Duo. As for Core 2 Duo, that would be a really nice bonus, but as Simon said, I don't think this all that important (I would favor lower price over a newer chip), and I would also very much like to see the low-end mini priced at $500 again or less.

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 12:05 PM

I'd like to see an eSATA interface in the Mini.

digiology2
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2006, 12:34 PM

I think if they are updated soon the low end model will have a core duo processor and the higher end model will have the same but clocked to similar a speed of the current iMacs.
I'd love to see it fitted with a 7200 rpm hard drive too.

Im buy one of these strictly for the silent operation

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 12:54 PM

I'm buying one because I'm too cheap to spend the big $$$ for an iMac

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 03:53 PM

Wow. That would be just in time for me to buy one. As long as it's worthy enough. I was considering the iMac, but if they made the low-end Core Duo I'd be happier. But I'm still worried about the graphics department. How bad is the integrated graphics? I don't really play games, but would like it to not be crappy at least.

digiology2
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2006, 05:32 AM

Im not sure but alot of people stay well away from the mac mini's for that reason alone, as for using the desktop, I'd say it would only make a big difference if you were using high resolutions (like on a 23" screen).
I shift clicked on the amber button on a window to see the genie effect in slow motion on a mac mini the other day and it was perfect (dunno if that helps)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2006, 11:48 AM

TS: No more Core Solo for the Mac mini

Apple's Intel-based Mac mini is scheduled for a speed bump revision in the near future, Think Secret has learned. The update will eliminate the only Core Solo-based product from Apple's line-up, moving the 1.66GHz Core Duo model to the low-end and positioning a new 1.83GHz Core Duo Mac mini at the top.

Other specifications of the updated Mac mini are expected to stay mostly the same as the current configuration, sources say. A specific release date is not known, but the new systems are said to be ready for production, suggesting a release within weeks.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2006, 11:53 AM

I saw that article too.

No more Core Solo as expected.

Of course they don't discuss more interesting issues like price points, GPU, possible case change, etc. It's been a while since rumor sites really had anything interesting to say. For all I know, they could be just posting educated guesses.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2006, 12:08 PM

I wonder if it will get GMA X3000. IIRC, that was supposed to launch in Sept.

It's still crap, but it's less crappy than GMA 950.

digiology2
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2006, 12:14 PM

1.83Ghz? thats a pretty small speed bump, oh well its better than nothing i suppose

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by digiology2
1.83Ghz? thats a pretty small speed bump, oh well its better than nothing i suppose
OTOH... It's a humungous speed bump at the low end: Core Solo --> Core Duo.

Interestingly, Intel's emulated next gen graphics support is best on a dual-core CPU. For example, IIRC they don't really support Vista's Aero with Core Solo GMA 950, but do with Core Duo.

digiology2
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2006, 12:26 PM

oh yeah I know, the low end is a huge speed bump, but I was looking out for the high end model cos I'll need a superdrive
Lets all pray tonight for a boost to the graphics!

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2006, 01:39 PM

Ooh, I hope so! I've refrained from buying a mini because of that low end.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2006, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Eug
I wonder if it will get GMA X3000. IIRC, that was supposed to launch in Sept.
I'm wondering about that as well. Altough I wouldn't be too surprised to see Apple use it the MB first and bring it to the mini later on.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2006, 07:40 AM

I don't understand why they can't/won't just put a Radeon or something back in.

digiology2
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2006, 08:15 AM

yeah its kinda mean I know, I'd say its mostly just to distinguish the low end minis from the iMacs, plus there may be a lack of space plus heat and cost issues.
I know that the apparently quiet opeation is why Im opting for a mac mini and a graphics card could ruin that!
Shame about the 5400 rpm hard drive too!

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2006, 08:18 AM

Well the old PPC Minis used to have a Radeon 9200/9250 in them.

digiology2
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2006, 08:56 AM

ah, well maybe they're just assholes

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2006, 04:44 PM

I have to say that I too am only waiting on an update of the video chipset before purchasing the dual-core model for my daughter. I don't need top-of-the-line performance, but I do require adequate performance. Currently the chipset doesn't even keep up with QE all that well. For example on the dual core mini, minimizing windows to the dock can get much choppier than on a much "slower" PPC unit with a "real" video chipset. The chipset in the mini and MacBook is just totally unacceptable.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 03:37 AM

Intel integrated graphics is alot cheaper than 9200/9250s. On PPC, Intel integrated was not an option, so they put a decent graphics chipset on the board with an anemic amount of VRAM on it. Also, the Radeons were not completely Core Video compatible. GMA950s are. I think that these are part of the reason why Apple put integrated on these.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by panjandrum
I have to say that I too am only waiting on an update of the video chipset before purchasing the dual-core model for my daughter. I don't need top-of-the-line performance, but I do require adequate performance. Currently the chipset doesn't even keep up with QE all that well. For example on the dual core mini, minimizing windows to the dock can get much choppier than on a much "slower" PPC unit with a "real" video chipset. The chipset in the mini and MacBook is just totally unacceptable.
That may be a GPU memory issue more than a speed issue. The Mac mini (and MacBook) are limited to 64 MB. That's pretty stupid actually, considering the chipset can handle up to something like 224 MB RAM. I think a Mac mini with a user selectable 64 MB or 128 MB setting would be ideal.

P.S. Some guy who ordered a 1.5 Core Solo Mac mini got a 1.66 Core Duo with SuperDrive and 100 GB drive. Macbidouille is reporting this as a silent Mac mini update, but I'm guessing it was just a mistake on Apple's part.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2006, 02:12 PM

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 02:22 PM

Ironic, isn't it when you consider replacing your aging Powermac with a new Mini...

Boy, times have changed!

Originally Posted by seanc
Oooh, that's my Dads birthday. Hopefully the Mini may get some upgrade to the graphics too. I REALLY need to replace this PowerMac.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2006, 02:40 PM

Well I had an iBook G4 before which I sold for the cash to put towards a new Mac. I was using a Windows machine but got sick of it and shoved an old HDD in this thing and installed Tiger. I'm waiting for updates to the lines, I don't want to buy something only to have something new come out a few weeks later.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2006, 02:47 PM

no way it'll be september 5th. students are too freshly back to school. if anytime it'll be in october/november when the traditional iBook bump has been.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2006, 02:49 PM

Better not be, I need a new Mac for college! Stupid rumours

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2006, 12:02 AM

They should make the Mini look match the Airport base stations
 Certified AppleCare Technician

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2006, 12:18 AM

Not a good idea. You couldn't put anything on top of mini anymore.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2006, 10:49 AM

Techincally you're not supposed to anyways. The top isn't reinforced and bends in like crazy, risking damage to the superdrive. Unless they've fixed that

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2006, 01:00 PM

The MacBU has hundreds of Mac minis on their sides, lined up like books on a shelf (but I believe with a little bit of space between them). No strain on the Mac mini's case, but it's definitely a big space saver.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by stefanicotine
Techincally you're not supposed to anyways. The top isn't reinforced and bends in like crazy, risking damage to the superdrive. Unless they've fixed that
I think they have. We have a stack of ten minis for testing and I just pulled out the bottom one to check. No problems at all. SD works like a charm too. The top surface (white) might not be reinforced. But the Al frame is rock solid.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2006, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I think they have. We have a stack of ten minis for testing and I just pulled out the bottom one to check. No problems at all. SD works like a charm too. The top surface (white) might not be reinforced. But the Al frame is rock solid.
Agreed. The frame is sturdy as a rock. When I had my mini I put my LCD on it. The feet of the screen rested perfectly on the corners of the frame so I never worried. However, push down on the white plastic and it bends like crazy.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2006, 03:54 AM

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I wouldn't put too much pressure on the white part. But the frame is fine.

Re: the new minis, I'm wondering what Apple's paying for Yonah so they decided to use it instead of Merom. Intel must have given them a nice price cut.

Forum Links
Forum Rules