Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac vs macmini noisyness

iMac vs macmini noisyness
digiology2
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2006, 11:55 AM

This could the deciding factor for me, I need a SUPER quiet machine but cant choose between a macmini and an iMac, I know the mini is supposed to be quieter but I dont like the thought of buying a computer that may be slower than my dual g4 (due mainly to the graphics)
How hard do you have to listen to hear fan noise from either machine? I know that the new iMacs have a slightly hotter processor so maybe they'll be a little noisier

Hmmm choices choices....

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by digiology2
I know the mini is supposed to be quieter but I dont like the thought of buying a computer that may be slower than my dual g4 (due mainly to the graphics)
The Mac mini is faster than any PowerMac G4. Except for maybe some 3D games. For everything else it's faster.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Macola
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
The Mac mini is faster than any PowerMac G4. Except for maybe some 3D games. For everything else it's faster.
Not necessarily for Rosetta apps.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2006, 01:24 PM

Silentpcreview.com (the main site for silent computing) said the 17" iMac (only one they tested) was the most silent computer they ever tested (out of the box).

HungrySeacow
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by kamina
Silentpcreview.com (the main site for silent computing) said the 17" iMac (only one they tested) was the most silent computer they ever tested (out of the box).
Agreed, the iMacs, since the incarnation of the iSight models are the quietist PC's Apple makes. The mini is extremely quiet as well, but it will increase the fan speed which can get loud. The iMacs don't change the fan speed, at least not that I have ever noticed, and I have definitely tried to notice.
YummySoup! - Recipe management and sharing at its best!

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2006, 03:22 PM

17" Apple iMac - The Official SPCR Review | silentpcreview.com

There's the review. Even though this is the Core Duo model, things won't have changed alot. The current iMac does'nt have hotter parts in it.

indigoimac
Senior User
Sep 7, 2006, 05:01 PM

I have the old 17" Intel EDU model, similar to the current lowest end and it is absolutlely dead silent, I didn't even know it was on. It puts the old G5 iMac to shame, that could get very loud.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2006, 08:55 PM

Mac Mini - when it's relatively idle it's extremely silent. You can't hear it unless your ear is pressed against it. Even then, very silent.

iMac - Dead silent unless it's really being taxed. For example, load up Doom 3 or Quake 4 and mute the game. You might hear a slight fan noise if you press your ear against the back.

Now, I don't know about the Mini, but when the iMac goes through a firmware update (which is VERY very seldom) the fans sound like a biplane! It's sooooo loud! I updated my firmware at 2 in the morning one time and I nearly had a heart attack! Although, playing Doom 3 in the dark a few minutes before that probably didn't help
 Certified AppleCare Technician

digiology2  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2006, 05:00 AM

hmm, that suprises me, I always thought the mini was hailed as the quietest mac, I might wait for my friend to get his iMac to hear it first.
As for the speed issue, most people ranting about the macmini's lack of a graphics card had me convinced that my dual G4 would be faster

Thanks for your help

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2006, 07:35 AM

Well the Mac Mini has allways been pretty silent, and the iMac has not (with the G5). In that sence it's natural that the picture they give would be consistent with their history.

Forum Links
Forum Rules