Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I guess I'm getting old

I guess I'm getting old
Tiresias
Mar 30, 2012, 10:36 PM

At the club last night I was bored out of my mind by the lasers and music and people going, "Whoooo!" when a song with the refrain, "Communicaaaaaation" in a robotic voice repeated the refrain, "Communicaaaaation" and everybody went, "Whoooo!" again and I stood at the bar with my Heineken scowling at all the twenty-somethings throwing their limbs about in the strobing light and wishing that I had stayed home drinking gin and tonics in my well-appointed bedroom listening to Billie Holiday.

And even though I'm only 32 if that means I'm getting old then I think I like getting old.

Here's to not being in your twenties.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2012, 03:29 PM

I'm almost entirely with you on this. Except the gin. I hate gin.
I've never been into dance clubs though. I'm all about the metal. Or was when I could be bothered/could afford to go out.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2012, 04:37 PM

WTF ?

You're 32 and hang out at places that have an average age of 17 ?

YES, you are old.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2012, 04:43 PM

Wrong club.

Duh.

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
WTF ?

You're 32 and hang out at places that have an average age of 17 ?

YES, you are old.

-t
What are you going on about? Not sure how "twenties" turns in to "17" with a wtf prefix.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2012, 06:49 PM

I've always been bored of clubs. I prefer a bar with live music any day. Probably because I don't like to dance, but I do like to talk to the person next to me without yelling.

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2012, 09:16 PM

Get married.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2012, 01:16 AM

If you are bored at juveniles, juveniles will be bored at you, and you'll be sorry about it someday.

So, turn on the MTV and learn something.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2012, 03:59 AM

MTV is still around?

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2012, 04:25 AM

I tend to find most drinking establishments with loud music to be terribly depressing. I can't stop being aware of how manipulative it all is, and how the only reason to frequent a place like that is to look for an escape. Then you consider all the things people are driven to escape ... and the worst part is I can't even stand the taste of booze so I can't drink to forget how sad and pathetic it all is.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2012, 06:59 AM

You can't stand any booze at all? There must be something you like, there are so many choices.

MTV is indeed still around but over here at least, it doesn't seem to show any music any more. Its all just episodes of The Real World, Cribs, Pimp My Ride, Death Valley, several teenie drama things I forget the names of and of course Jersey Shore and its various sequels, spin-offs and making ofs. We also have our very own version of that show, Geordie Shore. I don't suppose they bother showing it in the US as none of you would understand a word that anyone said. They all speak like Cheryl Cole who was kicked off one of your Pop Idol clones for that reason.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2012, 07:26 AM

Youtube and Facebook have taken over the role that MTV used to have.

It's all pimp-my-whatever and ringtone scam ads now.

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2012, 07:56 AM

My outrage is you choose to drink Heineken.

Pizzle shite beer; wouldn't touch it with yours it's that bad.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2012, 08:15 AM

Coulda been a Bud.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 1, 2012, 08:29 AM

"in my day, MTV showed music videos. And they were GOOD!!!". At least some of them were, anyway.

Never got into club hopping; too much trouble. The hot heads got into fights, the women I wanted to talk to either stayed on the dance floor dancing by themselves or had elebenty guys around then acting like puppies, and it was all really expensive. I honestly met more interesting and fun to be around women, and had a far better time with them in dorm common rooms watching TV...

But not enjoying a club scene that is geared for people who want to feel like they're always going to be 21 and have nothing better to do than drink all night is not a sign of being "old". It's more what I'd call "maturity". You can probably still find a club that has music you actually like, and people who don't act like it's the first time they've ever had a beer in public, but you also know about yourself enough to know that the whole idea of "hanging out at a club" isn't your idea of a great evening in and of itself.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tiresias  (op)
Apr 1, 2012, 11:34 AM

I guess all it means is I'm just moving out of one phase in my drinking habits and entering a new one.

In the first phase of life a man gets drunk at bars and clubs.

In the next phase, the one I'm entering, one gets drunk at home while cooking spaghetti for the wife and kids and then falls asleep watching a movie.

In the final stage—the one I'm looking forward to the most—one gets drunk during family lunches on Sunday afternoon and has to be aided to the car and driven home by embarrassed adult children.

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2012, 08:43 PM

What does 21 have to do with being a huge twat? I'm sorry but, "People who will always be 21?" There are tons of 21 year olds who were never total douche bags. And there is no age limit on douche baggery. Just look at American politics.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 2, 2012, 06:21 AM

The point was that those people who act that way will keep acting that way, whether they are 21 or 45, and they just never manage to progress, not that most 21 year olds are stupid jerks,

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2012, 10:26 AM

Went to a friend's club the other night, they were having `70s night, had a pretty good time styling in my leisure suit. Was the first time I've enjoyed a place like that in 15 years. We didn't stay out too late, though. We started to miss Emma.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2012, 11:07 PM

I've loved and listened to Billie Holiday since I was in my teens.

Drunk or sober, alone or with someone you love (or someone you want to love), any time, any place.

This is always a better alternative than blinky lights and "dance" music.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 11, 2012, 06:47 AM

Finding more than one person who knows who Billie was, let alone is familiar with her work, is a challenge today...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2012, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Finding more than one person who knows who Billie was, let alone is familiar with her work, is a challenge today...
I'm gonna at that.

Tiresias  (op)
Apr 11, 2012, 03:52 PM

How about Bessie Smith?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 12, 2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm gonna at that.
Around here, anyway. I work with a lot of 20- and 30-somethings, and they think "really old music" goes all the way back to when the Beatles broke up... unless they are fuzzy about who the Beatles were. My older friends (40s and 50s) are mostly interested in pop from the 60s and 70s. I know very few real jazz fans.

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
How about Bessie Smith?
Bessie is golden, but again, I know few real jazz fans.

One problem here in San Antonio is that we have authentic, live jazz, but it's a monopoly. Jim Cullen's band is about the only "jazz" most of the local public is exposed to, and he "curates" the music his group plays. They'll do "Armstrong's early work" shows, or highlight someone from the 30s and 40s, but they are all about early jazz bands, not individual performers. Jazz singers get sort of overlooked in their emphasis on bands. Plus, being in San Antonio, we sort of live in the shadow of Austin and all the huge variety of music available there, live. We're stuck with "local interest" live music or major artists who tour and maybe stop here in conjunction with a big show in Austin...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2012, 08:29 AM

Around here, anyway. I work with a lot of 20- and 30-somethings, and they think "really old music" goes all the way back to when the Beatles broke up... unless they are fuzzy about who the Beatles were. My older friends (40s and 50s) are mostly interested in pop from the 60s and 70s. I know very few real jazz fans.
Well, yeah, but that's to be expected.

I took your comment as somewhat judgmental, which it probably wasn't really, so apologies.

Jazz singers get sort of overlooked in their emphasis on bands.
That's cool though. Generally, jazz bands and instrumentalists get overlooked in the emphasis on singers!

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 13, 2012, 07:30 PM

The thing is that jazz is about everybody in the group. Why we can't focus on the music, whether it was done by a particular group, singer, or composer, is truly baffling to me.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2012, 08:27 PM

And stay off my lawn!

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 13, 2012, 09:17 PM

Well yeah. That too. Whippersnapper!

Forum Links
Forum Rules