Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The phone that will save Research In Motion

The phone that will save Research In Motion
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2012, 06:23 PM

$1890 BlackBerry

One of the highlights of the party will be the Canadian debut of the cumbersomely named Porsche Design P’9981 Smartphone from BlackBerry. For $1,890, the P’9981 comes with a stainless steel frame, leather back and a touch-screen. It also features all manner of accessories, such as branded batteries and a steel-and-leather charging pod. Customers who pick up one of these things will also get a “premium” BlackBerry PIN, presumably something memorable, akin to a custom licence plate. The phone’s user interface has also been customized, but you’re still getting most of the same features you’ll find on one of those proletarian BlackBerrys.

But in reality, the P’9981 has virtually no impact on RIM’s bottom line. For one thing, it was the Porsche Design executives – who all apparently use BlackBerrys – who approached RIM, not the other way around.

---

^^^ Still, the timing couldn't be worse, given just how bad RIM has been doing.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2012, 06:26 PM

WTF ? Seriously. The whole board and C-suite should be fired immediately for this bullshit.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2012, 08:02 PM

Oooo. Premium BlackBerry PIN.

That's worth about as much as having a 5-digit ICQ number.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2012, 07:33 AM

Just ignore everything Porsche design does. It's mostly horrible junk. And the stuff that isn't is horrible overpriced. Apple would kill for their margins. But margins only matter if you can generate sales.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2012, 11:01 AM

I was expecting the BB London running the new BlackBerry 10 platform, instead I LOLed. As I have said before, the P9981 is old and expensive for no reason.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2012, 11:13 AM

P’9981? Is that like the P'zone?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2012, 11:44 AM

Nokia have been doing badly, so get together with MS to make Windows phones, cut jobs and are going to sell off Vertu as part of their plan to be able to keep going.

RIM take an offer from Porsche Design and make premium pin numbers. Yeah that's going to work!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2012, 12:28 PM

Irrelevant to the future of Blackberry, but halo products like this hint at where the future of the industry is going. For example the LG Prada only sold a million units over 18 months, then the iPhone came out 6 months later looking the same.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2012, 11:31 AM

I heard an ad this morning for Blackberry Protect which allows you to remotely wipe your phone if lost/stolen. Having an entire ad dedicated to a feature everyone else has had for years is a clue to me that they are swimming away from land instead of toward it.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2012, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Irrelevant to the future of Blackberry, but halo products like this hint at where the future of the industry is going. For example the LG Prada only sold a million units over 18 months, then the iPhone came out 6 months later looking the same.
To clarify:

The LG Prada was announced in mid-December 2006 and released in mid-January 2007, after the iPhone was first publicly demonstrated.

The LG Prada sold a million units until mid-2008, a year *after* the iPhone first shipped.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
To clarify:

The LG Prada was announced in mid-December 2006 and released in mid-January 2007, after the iPhone was first publicly demonstrated.

The LG Prada sold a million units until mid-2008, a year *after* the iPhone first shipped.

You're right there wasn't the 6 month time gap I stated, but you've muddled the timeline:

September 2006 - LG KE850 wins iF Design Award
December 12, 2006 - LG KE850 announced as Prada
December 15, 2006 - LG Prada images leak
January 5, 2007 - LG Prada wins red dot Design Award
January 9, 2007 - iPhone announced

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2012, 06:21 PM

RIM lost $0.5 billion last quarter, or just a penny under $1 per share. Revenues are down by 1/3rd.

Furthermore, they've announced that they'll miss both the fall back to school period and the Xmas holidays, with the new BlackBerry 10 phones not coming out until 2013.

After hours, RIMM is down 15%, to $7.76. Note that their previous 52 week range was $8.83 - $33.54.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2012, 06:26 PM

Somebody should ask Michael Dell what he would do, just so that they can do the opposite.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
You're right there wasn't the 6 month time gap I stated, but you've muddled the timeline:

September 2006 - LG KE850 wins iF Design Award
December 12, 2006 - LG KE850 announced as Prada
December 15, 2006 - LG Prada images leak
January 5, 2007 - LG Prada wins red dot Design Award
January 9, 2007 - iPhone announced
In other words, there could not have possibly been any influence of the LG Prada on the iPhone design, and any design similarities are just a coincidence.

-t

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2012, 02:37 AM

THis porsche phone is a few years old. When I saw it first I thought RIM had secured its position with smartphones, then I saw the price..

If you want to sell a lot of phones, the price of your topmodel needs to be almost affordable. Most people just choose the most expensive phone with their 2 year subscription. This BB is not affordable even with a subscription.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2012, 06:47 AM

Definitely not a few years old.

The phone was first released last Xmas (and then in Toronto a couple of weeks ago).

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2012, 05:58 AM

Googling brings me back to september 2011

But "porsche design" usually means a dull grey box, with the words P O R S C H E D E S I G N on it, in case you missed why it's so boring. I'm not a fan of this design house.
The iphone 4 is a wonderful and neat design I do like.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Forum Links
Forum Rules