Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do Canadians really leave their doors unlocked?

Do Canadians really leave their doors unlocked?
ringo
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2002, 09:32 PM

OK, so I finally got around to seeing Bowling for Columbine last weekend (I liked it a lot).

There's this part where Michael Moore is talking about how Canada has all these guns, but almost no gun violence.

He made a big deal about how most Canadians don't even lock their front door....or at least he seemed to. There was a short segment where he walks around opening people's front doors and another where he interviews people on the street about it.

The thing is, he only spoke to about a dozen people, and he only opened two or three doors. I couldn't tell if there were a significant number of people who really don't lock their doors or if Michael Moore was just presenting some footage that made it look that way.

For some reason this is bugging me.

So, Canadians...Do you lock your doors? What about the people you know?

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2002, 09:40 PM

nearly everyone in my hometown do not lock their doors. Locking my door seems unnatural now that I'm stuck in Stockton.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

svideo_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2002, 09:53 PM

yes that's true, but only in small towns where people know one another. It's so peaceful in Canada in some places that you can leave your door unlock and no one will break-in to your house.

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2002, 09:53 PM

i lock my doors. why not? it doesn't make me feel "isolated" as moore claimed. from all my experience, people in my town lock theirs.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2002, 09:57 PM

in my home town a quaint country town, we never locked our doors, only when we left for a vacation, we left our keys in all of our cars out side and never gave it a second thouhgt.

Now I am at the uni I lock everything, except my mac, I don't think anyone around here would know what to do with it, but the handles make it nice to carry off, hhhhmmmmm Xmas ideas yes

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

clod
Senior User
Nov 19, 2002, 09:59 PM

We basically lock doors like Americans do. If you live in or near a city/ big town most people lock their door. I don't know anyone that doesn't lock their door.

When I was very young (5 or 6) my house in the suburbs of Ottawa was robbed by some armed gang members of some kind. This wasn't some sort of gang or drug dealer area either. It was a normal middle class street. The cops said they probably gassed us with something because my brother (who was a baby) slept through the whole night for the first time and we all slept in very late. They stole everything, including cars. The doors were locked.

Basically anyone who doesn't lock their door in a city is a damn fool.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2002, 10:21 PM

definitely keep 'em locked around here.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2002, 10:56 PM

I've noticed people around me tend to lock their doors more often now than the '80s and early '90s. I remember living in neighbourhoods, not only in the small towns but the cities too, where no doors were locked. No one needed to worry.

Now, however, I can't stand the idea of a door being left open. One person in my house has a habit of not only leaving doors unlocked, but also leaving doors wide open while she is downstairs watching TV. I can't understand why she does that considering the house had had four cars broken into, one stolen, and crowbar marks on the backdoor from an attempted break-in all within five years.

To make a long post longer, I don't think Canadians leave their doors unlocked or locked because of gun violence. It's more of a general feeling of the level of crime and trust in the community. My neighbourhood's gone downhill over the '90s it seems, so I don't leave the door unlocked.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2002, 03:13 AM

Where I live in London, you don't lock your door, you won't have a door left nevermind furniture.

Whereas other London boroughs are up and coming, Tower Hamlets residents frequently nick the ladder and sell it down the market. I used to drive an old Jaguar that got broken into five times in two years. I then switched to an old army Land Rover only to find a pisshead from the local pub asleep under the canvas. Joy. I tried to drive off without him noticing and park the car a couple of miles away but he got startled, looked at me in horror, jumped off the back and staggered off at quite a pace.

In Hamburg I habitually leave my car unlocked outside my house. The neighbours kids wash it once a week and take the fiver I leave for them in the glove compartment.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2002, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by clod:

When I was very young (5 or 6) my house in the suburbs of Ottawa was robbed by some armed gang members of some kind. This wasn't some sort of gang or drug dealer area either. It was a normal middle class street. The cops said they probably gassed us with something because my brother (who was a baby) slept through the whole night for the first time and we all slept in very late.They stole everything, including cars. The doors were locked.

Basically anyone who doesn't lock their door in a city is a damn fool.
Hold on..... How did that happen. Wouldn't you need a huge amount of gas to fill a house? I mean aren't we talking a few dozen tanks here? And wouldn't this be in addition to it taking like 3-5 hours to fill it? Also aren't most gasses that can knock you out pretty potent: to the point where if you are exposed to it for too long it might cause you to become very ill or die?

If they covered your faces with some anesthesia_soaked rag I could see it but to take out a whole family in their home with gas. only the Russian Army could pull that off.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2002, 07:21 AM

When I was very young (5 or 6) my house in the suburbs of Ottawa was robbed by some armed gang members of some kind. This wasn't some sort of gang or drug dealer area either. It was a normal middle class street. The cops said they probably gassed us with something because my brother (who was a baby) slept through the whole night for the first time and we all slept in very late. They stole everything, including cars. The doors were locked.
, I'm not gonna be able to sleep for weeks after hearing that!

I make sure my doors are locked, even when inside. I just like it that way

DBursey
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2002, 09:02 AM

Canada is a big country with a richly varied demographic and social strata from region to region. It's impossible to cover the whole country in general terms.

Growing up in rural Newfoundland, our door was seldom locked. It is a different story in suburban Ontario, however. Although very rare, break-ins and burglaries have been known to occur in my town to the north of Toronto. Our doors are locked most of the time. Fate is best not subject to such temptation.

If I were to risk a generalization, it would be this: rural Canada has a relatively low to non-existent crime rate. Urban areas are subject to higher crime rates, albeit still far lower than those of urban areas south of the border.

DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Nov 20, 2002, 11:25 AM

We never locked our doors growing up. Well, until people moved in next door who stole the neighbors car and credit cards, but that was a very rare exception. My mom always had the screen porch door open so people could just walk in and out. Very few of my friends ring the door bell, they all just come and go as they please. However, I can see how that would be very different living in a big city.
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Nov 20, 2002, 12:55 PM

People in Cities such as Toronto and Vancover do lock their doors so nothing gets stollen.

We don't have any home invasions and stuff like that though.

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Nov 20, 2002, 12:59 PM

They stole everything, including cars. The doors were locked.
Sure sure, they stole your big screen TV and Porche right

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2002, 03:38 PM

[B]When I was very young (5 or 6) my house in the suburbs of Ottawa was robbed by some armed gang members of some kind. This wasn't some sort of gang or drug dealer area either. It was a normal middle class street. The cops said they probably gassed us with something because my brother (who was a baby) slept through the whole night for the first time and we all slept in very late. They stole everything, including cars. The doors were locked./B]
Um... a group of armed gang members robs you, but decides to save bullets and slowly, safely gasses you instead?

Not that I want to criticize a fellow Canuck, but come on guy... maybe you just don't remember that far back real well - dad run into some financial trouble maybe?

Oh, and yes of course I lock the doors in my house. We have our share of crooked bastards up here too.

denim
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2002, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Yoda's Erotic Piggyback:

Sure sure, they stole your big screen TV and Porche right
And half my paper was gone! It was a really good paper, too.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2002, 05:10 PM

I live in a big apartment building and accidently left my door unlocked for a day and night, still alive...

Kinda dissapointed that no one tried to gas me though

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2002, 05:22 PM

Well, of course they lock the door to the penalty box!

[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Nov 20, 2002, 05:35 PM

I still can't get over how stupid that gas story was.

Guess they are just looking for an excuse why none of the lazy bums woke up while everything they own got lifted.

Did they steal your homework also?

Amorya
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2002, 05:49 PM

Are you guys talking about locking the door when you're in the house? 'Cos I don't know anyone who does that. We certainly don't. Then again, we don't live in a city.

When we're not home, we lock the door most of the time. We've forgotten the odd time and nothing happened. We always keep a spare key hidden near the back door too.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

clod
Senior User
Nov 20, 2002, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by murbot:

Um... a group of armed gang members robs you, but decides to save bullets and slowly, safely gasses you instead?

Not that I want to criticize a fellow Canuck, but come on guy... maybe you just don't remember that far back real well - dad run into some financial trouble maybe?

Oh, and yes of course I lock the doors in my house. We have our share of crooked bastards up here too.
Apparently the cops saw similar burglaries with some sort of gas (probably just some kind of aerosol spray) at the time and they suspected that it was the same people. No harm done though, we bought all kinds of new stuff with the insurance money.

Nimisys
Banned
Nov 20, 2002, 09:45 PM

heh we don't lock our doors.. just depends ont he area

NosniboR80
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2002, 09:59 PM

I can't tell you how many times I left my door open or unlocked in my old house in South Carolina. I used to leave my car unlocked at my high school, at restaurants (depending on locations), at football games, etc, but not at the mall or on Main St.

However, when I came to college up North (where I have adhered to a strict locking habit) and my parents moved before we sold our house, someone broke in with a crow bar and stole our chandelier and all the draperies.

Really weird to me.
Semper Fi

Rhea44
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2012, 06:14 PM

This fat guy always find something really shocking... I hope he came to Quebec, Montreal.... bull... just give You a 100 bucks ... go find a door open..unlocked.... ..... my daughters house was BROKEN in .in broad daylight. with all that alarm screaming(ADT) ......... back door busted open, windows broken, door open from inside... GOD HELPED... KIDS WERE NOT HOME ALONE AS IT IS FOR THE MOST PART... 2 ARAB THUGS.... GOT THEM ON CAMERAS... POLICE DID NOT GIVE A SHIT... SAYS BRAKE-INS ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST.... My granddaughters friend was robbed TWICE within 3 months........as she was away on vacation..... second time as she was out in the city..... Laval's area is really paradise for brake-ins.... few years ago a black was terrorizing vicinity with brake-ins etc... Better think twice as You leave doors unlocked.... I do with patent locks + "all around the house" video surveillance. As for the gun..... thugs and mobsters have guns in Canada...... regular guy has to do with a broomstick.....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2012, 08:10 PM

Necro from hell. lol
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2012, 06:40 AM

My wife is from a small town in Northern Illinois (population ~17 now). Not a single door in that town is locked, and every car has the keys in it.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2012, 06:50 AM

I was in Prince Edward Island about two months ago for work and everyone had their doors locked. I was there before the tourist season too. My guess is that the people who leave their doors unlocked know the names of every neighbor on their block.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2012, 08:15 AM

Last time I commented in this thread, I still lived in London. Cool!

Re Canada, it depends where you live. Here in Toronto we lock our door, and both my house and office are alarmed, but at our house in the country we left the doors open and unlocked for months on end.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2012, 02:47 PM

When im home it can be unlocked most of the day. If im just running to the 711 for a few minutes some times I lock it some times I don't. I only lock it at night, going to work or if im going somewhere for 10+ minutes. I know a lot of people that don't lock there door, even at night.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Thorzdad
Jul 23, 2012, 03:14 PM

My wife is from a small town in NW Kansas. No one locks their doors and it's not unusual for people to park their cars and leave the keys in them. The first time I saw that, I was all

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2012, 04:25 PM

When I'm at home, doors are unlocked.
When I'm out or asleep, doors are locked.

I live in a smaller Canadian city about 30 minutes from Calgary and know and trust all my neighbors.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2012, 11:03 PM

Obviously, like any place, it depends where you live. Smaller or rural communities tend to be more trustworthy as they usually know each other. The more dense the population, the less trusting.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2012, 01:52 AM

There are plenty of places in Chicago where you can leave your front door unlocked in the daytime. Home invaders use alleys.

I'd leave my door unlocked, but people mistake it for a public entrance to my building (it's a side door). I get someone mistakenly trying to come in my apartment once a week.

Forget to lock it every now and then too. It self-locks, but that's a recipe for disaster in my book. Once, I forgot to lock it and I was on the can burning a mule when someone walked in to give me the Yellow Pages.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 24, 2012, 02:48 AM

Growing up in Southeastern Michigan, my house was never locked. When I joined the military I had "security" drilled into me from locking my personal items in my locker to ensuring the equipment I serviced was properly secured. And early on, with my apartment locked, I was broken into and had a number of my few belongings stolen. My wife and I felt so unsafe there, we bought a house...and were broken into there before we even got all of our furniture... I keep the doors locked all the time now. Not because I'm afraid, but because it's a habit that doesn't hurt anything.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2012, 02:49 AM

I live in a city nowadays, I don't really lock it, its self locking. The lock isn't that good.

I will move to a smaller town next week, where I lived before and never locked my front door. But I will buy a better lock now, in case of a future insurance claim.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2012, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rhea44 View Post
This fat guy always find something really shocking... I hope he came to Quebec, Montreal.... bull... just give You a 100 bucks ... go find a door open..unlocked.... ..... my daughters house was BROKEN in .in broad daylight. with all that alarm screaming(ADT) ......... back door busted open, windows broken, door open from inside... GOD HELPED... KIDS WERE NOT HOME ALONE AS IT IS FOR THE MOST PART... 2 ARAB THUGS.... GOT THEM ON CAMERAS... POLICE DID NOT GIVE A SHIT... SAYS BRAKE-INS ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST.... My granddaughters friend was robbed TWICE within 3 months........as she was away on vacation..... second time as she was out in the city..... Laval's area is really paradise for brake-ins.... few years ago a black was terrorizing vicinity with brake-ins etc... Better think twice as You leave doors unlocked.... I do with patent locks + "all around the house" video surveillance. As for the gun..... thugs and mobsters have guns in Canada...... regular guy has to do with a broomstick.....
I would break into your home, just to drop off a dictionary and a grammar and sentence structure guide.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Rhea44
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2012, 11:55 AM

The guy is Fat & looking sweaty, he really is......... but that's not the question here... we did not come to discuss the sentence structure or "polite" word choices.. that's up to the poster, as much as his /her intelligence is.... we are discussing whether "yes" or "no" for the open doors in Canada..... just wake up and put Yourself in a big city and leave the house doors open... till they find out... then Your grammar book and all others will be gone... trust me... You did not identify where You 're from, but anyway, ..... "go & find insurance company that will cover losses in case of a burglary... and, leaving the doors open with no alarm on.....every second house in my area has ADT or some other security.... and that to keep the doors open wide to anyone "just stumbling in like the "Fatty" did? The guy is famous for not liking America and it's people, just digging it all out... And .... if You're a Canadian, just get a broomstick in case... You know.....

andi*pandi
Jul 24, 2012, 12:41 PM

We don't particularly like name-calling here, even if it's aimed at Michael Moore... who is not a member here. Why so angry about a thread that is 10 years old?

I grew up in an area where we didn't lock our doors, cars, or anything. Someone did help themselves to our bicycles while we were on vacation, (left on front porch) so after that we had to lock for the insurance company.

I feel pretty safe now, and don't lock while I'm at home, but I do at night or when I leave.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2012, 03:11 PM

I live in DC now, in a neighborhood that's relatively safe. Car break-ins are common, if you leave your car parked in the street, but it's pretty rare that someone breaks into a house, maybe every two or three months. I do lock our door, but, honestly, it's more out of habit than anything else. I've been working primarily from home for the past year or so, so I spend far more time at home than most people, especially during the times when a house is most likely to be broken into (during the day, despite popular perception otherwise). The house looks no different from the outside whether I'm home or not (we have plantation shutters on the front windows to keep the sun out), but not once has anyone so much as come up to our door without a religion/charity to sell.

Honestly, if I were to be gone for a week and leave my front door unlocked, would it make a difference? Probably not. It's unlikely that my house will be 'broken' into regardless of the state of my deadbolt. And if someone really wanted to get into my house, a deadbolt is unlikely to stop them.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2012, 10:27 AM

I stopped locking the door on my old car because I got sick of having to fix the damage to either the door or window when some one broke in to steal the butts inside or something left in the car they could sell for a couple bucks. I never had a broken window or door lock again. Only a dead battery a couple times when they didn't close the door after going into my car.

Insurance requirements with my new car means I do keep it locked. So far knock on wood no one has smashed out the window yet to get inside of it.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2012, 10:38 AM

Someone broke into my car and stole a 12-pack of toilet paper.

You know, if you need toilet paper that bad, go for it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Someone broke into my car and stole a 12-pack of toilet paper.
You know, if you need toilet paper that bad, go for it.
I would have broken in to shit in your car and then opened your toilet paper to finish up.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2012, 01:42 PM

1995 Jeep Cherokee... $16,725
12-pack of Charmin... $7.95

Dakar's ass perforated by a broken window... Priceless.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2012, 11:16 AM

In the suburb of Winnipeg I lived in we often didn't lock our doors. We'd lock them if we weren't home. Basically the idea was sort of, if I'm home I don't have to worry, I just don't want anyone seeing I'm not home and stealing my stuff. My parents rarely lock their car doors even though they know there's somebody who goes around at night and will steal the change people leave in their car. (He never does any other damage though so he's kinda respected?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules