Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Old Mac crashed ... backups unrecoverable?

Old Mac crashed ... backups unrecoverable?
UserNo777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2008, 09:16 PM

(fyi ... I posted this same question on mac-forums).

Hi. My brother has a PowerMac 4400/200. He uses MS Word, version unknown, but it was the version out around 1997.

He went to turn it on the other day and it wouldn't boot. He took it to a shop and they tried a new power supply and motherboard. Still doesn't work.

He had backups of some data on floppies, but the guy at the shop told him that it's so old, the new software that's out will not read his documents.

The guy also told him that even if he has MS Word from '97 on disks, the current Macs would not be able to run it, so he is basically stuck.

Is this true? I find it hard to believe that the data is sitting right there, but there's no way to read it.

Any suggestions?

Cold Warrior
Jul 8, 2008, 09:24 PM

That doesn't sound right. You can buy a USB floppy drive in Wal-Mart for cheap. Also, Office tends to be good at reading old formats.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2008, 09:31 PM

Current versions of Word should be able to read his old documents without major problems. Maybe he might need to add a .doc extension to the filenames. You need to get a USB floppy drive to read the floppies on current Macs.

Classic Mac applications indeed do no longer run on current Macs. That information was actually correct.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 06:59 AM

Also, 9 times out of 10, if an ancient Mac simply won't boot but worked fine yesterday, all it needs is a new main logic board battery (3.6V, 1/2 AA size).

UserNo777  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2008, 08:08 PM

Thanks for your responses. I'll let my brother know what you have said.

Forum Links
Forum Rules