Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > McCain VP Choice.....

McCain VP Choice..... (Page 4)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
How dare you call me a sexist!! the comment was her about her mayoral experience not as a woman. An apology is expected
I find the entire thing remarkably sexist. McCain passed over so many qualified men to come to this choice that was painfully obviously just about her being a woman. There's nothing more sexist than that.

I'd love a woman in politics, but women are serious politicians, not tokens in a campaign. It's extremely hypocritical for our friends from the right to be accusing us of sexism when they are the ones admitting she serves his campaign best by being the token woman.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 04:37 PM

How dare you call me a sexist!! the comment was her about her mayoral experience not as a woman. An apology is expected
An apology not granted. This is the kind of "concealed rhetoric" that OAW refers to when he claims that Republicans are trying to scare you away with.

If you can explain exactly what baby parades have to do with running a city, I might reconsider.
ebuddy

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2008, 04:39 PM

For a town of 6,000 in Alaska, its probably the biggest event of the year.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I find the entire thing remarkably sexist. McCain passed over so many qualified men to come to this choice that was painfully obviously just about her being a woman. There's nothing more sexist than that.
McCain passed over qualified men as part of a comprehensive vetting process. Romney said some pretty harsh things about him during the campaign, I imagine a great many of your ilk had their pens fired up. Sorry.

I'd love a woman in politics, but women are serious politicians, not tokens in a campaign.
There's everything to suggest this woman is very serious. She's been said to have left a litter of bodies of political opponents in her wake and defeated a very popular governor in her bid. She's known as Sarah barracuda.

It's extremely hypocritical for our friends from the right to be accusing us of sexism when they are the ones admitting she serves his campaign best by being the token woman.
There's nothing token about this woman and I have a hunch she's going to prove it to all of us. Was this a shrewd move? Of course it was. Was Obama's move shrewd? No. It was politics as usual. I can appreciate why so many on the left would be pissed. In fact, I do appreciate it.
ebuddy

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 04:48 PM

It's hilarious how you try and draw this into a debate about Obama's experience. Her experience is not even remotely as deep as Obama's.
She's a puddle. He's a shallow creek.

She's going for the #2 executive job, a job where the assumption is that you are the #1 in training. He's going for the #1 executive job, and he's not even been in national or executive office for even an entire term.

For the most part, people pick a President. Otherwise, GHW Bush probably would have never won. If you think that having an inexperienced #2 will mute criticism that the #1 isn't very experienced, I think you are engaging in wishful thinking.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 04:50 PM

I've been reading up on this chick, and I'm convinced that she is worse than useless. People are saying she mirrors Obama, but I guess she seems like Obama if he got whacked in the head several times, developed an ill temperament and started hating gays. It's a brilliant political choice, and I have no doubt that it will help McCain, but picking someone just to win points is pretty bad, especially considering that McCain's VP has a decent chance of becoming president. (I could also go into the fact that picking an unqualified but attractive young woman is completely sexist, but I'll leave the feminist ire to the feminists.)

So yeah, I was on the fence before and now I'm not.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
An apology not granted. This is the kind of "concealed rhetoric" that OAW refers to when he claims that Republicans are trying to scare you away with.

If you can explain exactly what baby parades have to do with running a city, I might reconsider.
Baby parades are held in some small towns, like mine, and they are run and judged by the mayor. I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT HER BEING A WOMAN being a disadvantage, not worthy, etc.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I've been reading up on this chick, and I'm convinced that she is worse than useless. People are saying she mirrors Obama, but I guess she seems like Obama if he got whacked in the head several times, developed an ill temperament and started hating gays. It's a brilliant political choice, and I have no doubt that it will help McCain, but picking someone just to win points is pretty bad, especially considering that McCain's VP has a decent chance of becoming president. (I could also go into the fact that picking an unqualified but attractive young woman is completely sexist, but I'll leave the feminist ire to the feminists.)

So yeah, I was on the fence before and now I'm not.
Can you show me where she hates gays? This; "OMG McCain's only got one year of life left" fear tactic has got to be the most pathetic thing I've seen here.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 04:56 PM

Baby parades are held in some small towns, like mine, and they are run and judged by the mayor. I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT HER BEING A WOMAN being a disadvantage, not worthy, etc.
My mayor just negotiated a 20 year contract with the NCAA for the College World Series. They do more than judge baby parades.

Palin negotiated terms with Canada for a major pipeline through Alaska that will bring us a step closer to energy independence. If you're not sexist, you suck at delivery.
ebuddy

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 04:56 PM

Because here's how the debates will go...
Biden: When I was in Iraq, I found that... blah blah blah blah...
Moderator: Your response, Mrs. Palin?
Palin: I don't know anything about Iraq because I served in a local state government for less than two years when my biggest concern was whether or not to put the polar bear on the endangered species list.

Seriously, McCain thinks he's going to get the Hillary supporters but this is going to turn into a slaughter. McCain has simultaneously insulted women by showing that he considers the importance of women in politics to be based on simply what they have in their pants, while putting forth someone who Obama has 5x more experience then, completely negating the experience issue.
Palin visits a wounded soldier in Landstuhl, Germany, July 2007
45/47

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 04:59 PM

My mayor just negotiated a 20 year contract with the NCAA for the College World Series. They do more than judge baby parades.

Palin negotiated terms with Canada for a major pipeline through Alaska that will bring us a step closer to energy independence. If you're not sexist, you suck at delivery.
Sorry im not a comedian...but you are thinking drilling or pipelines are going to bring us energy independence?? That makes you hil_fricken_larious.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Palin visits a wounded soldier in Landstuhl, Germany, July 2007
There's one country... Any middle east or Asian countries?

Don't be shy now. I'm sure she's a well traveled foreign affairs guru.

I severely doubt she was negotiating major NCAA contracts in her time as mayor.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 05:04 PM

To the Left;

Originally Posted by goMac
McCain has simultaneously insulted women by showing that he considers the importance of women in politics to be based on simply what they have in their pants, while putting forth someone who Obama has 5x more experience then, completely negating the experience issue.
Some of you don't really support affirmative action as much as you claim. Once again, your party has managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I don't think I've seen you folks this riled up since you found out Michael Moore has Exxon stock.

Y'all are going to get caught comparing the experience of the Democrats' #1 with the Republicans' #2? Like I said, keep it up. This is going to be fun. Silly as hell, but fun.
ebuddy

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN

I gotta go to work but I have two things…

One, after reading this thread I think you guys should take it easy or there are going to be a lot of torn ACLs here.

Two, I'd hit it!â„¢
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane

Can you show me where she hates gays? This; "OMG McCain's only got one year of life left" fear tactic has got to be the most pathetic thing I've seen here.
It's not a fear tactic. He's pretty old, and old people do tend to die. My grandfather very suddenly went downhill last year, and he was a couple of years younger than McCain. Anyway, if he picked a competent veep, it couldn't be a fear tactic. There would be nothing to be afraid of at all. It's only a fear tactic if you agree that a presidency with this woman would be a complete nightmare.

Anyway, I didn't bookmark all my sources, so here's a quickly Googled article detailing Palin's relationship with gays. I admit the "Denver Gay Examiner" doesn't exactly sound like an unbiased source, but the info there seems to be correct. If you look up any of the facts in the article, you should find corroboration. Nutshell: She's against gays having any rights she doesn't absolutely have to give them.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Aug 29, 2008 at 05:35 PM. )
Chuck
___

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
I gotta go to work but I have two things…

One, after reading this thread I think you guys should take it easy or there are going to be a lot of torn ACL's here.

Two, I'd hit it!â„¢
ebuddy

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 05:05 PM

It's not a fear tactic. He's pretty old, and old people do tend to die. My grandfather very suddenly went downhill last year, and he was a couple of years younger than McCain. Anyway, if he picked a competent veep, it couldn't be a fear tactic. There would be nothing to be afraid of at all. It's only a fear tactic if you agree that a presidency with this woman would be a complete nightmare.
McCain was a POW! You can't criticize him about him dying!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 05:09 PM

There's one country... Any middle east or Asian countries?

Don't be shy now. I'm sure she's a well traveled foreign affairs guru.
So, Obama takes a whirlwind tour and that makes him a foreign affairs guru? By that standard Hillary must be an avatar.
45/47

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 05:11 PM

So, Obama takes a whirlwind tour and that makes him a foreign affairs guru? By that standard Hillary must be an avatar.
You can attack Obama about that, but it's more than Ms. Alaska has done.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 05:16 PM

And she starts by calling Hillary a whiner...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/156190

Keep it up. I'm sure those Hillary supporters will be knocking at your door after this.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 05:24 PM

To the Left;

Some of you don't really support affirmative action as much as you claim. Once again, your party has managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I don't think I've seen you folks this riled up since you found out Michael Moore has Exxon stock.

Y'all are going to get caught comparing the experience of the Democrats' #1 with the Republicans' #2? Like I said, keep it up. This is going to be fun. Silly as hell, but fun.
I think what's being pointed out is that McCain has tried to build his campaign around the idea that Obama is not ready and then he wants to put someone with much less experience one beat of his probably none-too-reliable ticker away from the big chair in the Oval Office. But hey, why should this surprise us. Hypocrisy isn't exactly anything new in politics.

For my two cents, her gender was obviously relevant in his choice, but for the most part she also sounds like his kind of Republican. Based on what little I've had time to read, I applaud her commitment to eth8ics in government, but I could never support her as president for the simple reason that she is anti-science.

Edit: Oh, and in my book both her and Obama's "inexperience" is an asset. Time in washington should be seen as freshness dating on produce. The longer you've been there, the better chance you're rotten.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 05:27 PM

i don't think its a fear tactic at all. The guy is old, and has had a history of health issues. If McCain is going to say that Obama doesn't have the experience, then by his own standards he is being down right irresponsible right now putting her one step away from presidency.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 05:54 PM

McCain is a genius. The PL reaction shows he's completely pwned the lefties!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
McCain is a genius. The PL reaction shows he's completely pwned the lefties!
Judging by the conservative reaction to this, Republicans really don't care about America. Seriously, "he's completely pwned the lefties"? You think about the future of our country in those terms? That kind of apathy is how you wind up getting arrested for carrying a butter knife.
Chuck
___

finboy
Aug 29, 2008, 06:08 PM

As the Left continues to control the media, the Right will have to pick folks nobody has every heard of. McCain didn't have a choice but to find someone solid, conservative and pretty clean to share the ticket. And someone with no discernable baggage within the time period between now and November.

She's untouchable, as well. Brilliant. He will have to surround himself with a solid cabinet, no face-jobs, just in case he has to leave office, but so will Obama (who will probably end up with a few face-jobs if the Biden pick is any indication). She's inexperienced, and so what? At least we know she comes from real life and has her head on straight. She obviously has some principles, which is more than we can say for most pols.

And she isn't on some power trip to fill stadiums and say "look at me America." This is the kind of folks who SHOULD BE running for office and aren't, not the cult of personality types.

I think that comes across. Oh, and she's untouchable. Did I mention that she's untouchable?

Hockey mom. That was my favorite part of her speech.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2008, 06:13 PM

Mrs. Palin has more experience than Mr. Obama has. Sarah Palin has run a town and a state, while Mr. Obama has run nothing at all.

I think it's more than a little odd to suggest that Mrs. Palin, a Governor, is not ready for the Vice-Presidency, when the past two Presidents were both Governors before they became President.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
As the Left continues to control the media, the Right will have to pick folks nobody has every heard of. McCain didn't have a choice but to find someone solid, conservative and pretty clean to share the ticket. And someone with no discernable baggage within the time period between now and November.
Actually, she does have baggage. She's being investigated as she's accused of firing a guy because one of his employees was in a messy divorce with her sister and the guy refused to fire the employee. That's a pretty big accusation for somebody so rabidly anti-corruption. (For the record, I actually think she's probably innocent there. But she has managed to rack up a scandal in her short political career.)

Personally, I would have liked to see a McCain-Romney ticket. I might have voted for that ticket. I don't like Romney's stance on social issues, per se, but he seems to be pretty brilliant in a lot of other ways.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Aug 29, 2008 at 06:27 PM. )
Chuck
___

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Mrs. Palin has more experience than Mr. Obama has. Sarah Palin has run a town and a state, while Mr. Obama has run nothing at all.
Aside from the whole United States, sure. The Senate is part of this country's government, you'll recall. It's actually a bigger part than the President in many ways, though sadly few people bother to treat it accordingly. He's also led several non-government organizations.

So I guess you could say he's run "nothing at all" if your definition of "something" is "Alaska."
Chuck
___

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
As the Left continues to control the media,
You must be joking.

The media is owned by a oligopoly of mega-corporations, and somehow they're in the pocket of the Left? How, in the age of Fox News, anyone can say "liberal media" with a straight face is beyond me.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 06:24 PM

I love the conservatives jumping on the lefties for "reacting."

What the hell did you expect for any candidate he nominated? Of course they're gonna find any freakin' flaw they can think of and point it out. It's the PL! McCain could have named God as his running mate and I can still see the first criticism from the left-leaning members: "Too religious."

Is it a brilliant political move? I think so. But the fact that it is a political move is a criticism within itself.

Sorry to interrupt, onward with your comments.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
McCain could have named God as his running mate and I can still see the first criticism from the left-leaning members: "Too religious."

(sing) Can I get a witnesssssssssssssss? (/sing)

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
I think it's more than a little odd to suggest that Mrs. Palin, a Governor, is not ready for the Vice-Presidency, when the past two Presidents were both Governors before they became President.
Bush wasn't a good President, so that's either a great example or a poor example.

Clinton was governor for many many years.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 06:49 PM

The majority of the "soft" republican base is not looking for a candidate that will give them a lesson in geopolitics, but somebody they 'd hang out with drinking a beer around a hole in the ice. She is just the right woman for that. This will help to convince these people to actually go and vote, for McCain. Heck, she is even purdy... Nice move from McCain campaign, but it won't be enough at the end.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 07:32 PM

....and speaking of which, it would appear that she has just as much foreign policy experience and Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter did before they took office as President...and again, she's running for the #2 spot.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2008, 07:53 PM

I'd wager that not a single election has been won on the choice of VP, so it likely doesn't matter who either of them picked. However, if this race is close, this may be the election that this changes. It's a shame, on the one hand I'm pretty excited that this election will finally mean the executive branch will have 1 non-white guy in it, it's a shame the woman seems to be a god, guns and guts type.

If this had been 2000, I'd be more excited by the choice. As McCain seems to have morphed from maverick to party hack since then, it just feels a bit cynical. As much as I like Biden, his selection was not exactly a news event. She's going to be on the cover of the next issue of everything.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2008, 07:56 PM

There's everything to suggest this woman is very serious. She's been said to have left a litter of bodies of political opponents in her wake and defeated a very popular governor in her bid. She's known as Sarah barracuda.
Just out of curiosity- is this the same "very popular governor" who came in 3rd in his own party's primary?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
i gotta go to work but i have two things…

one, after reading this thread i think you guys should take it easy or there are going to be a lot of torn acls here.

Two, i'd hit it!â„¢
vpilf?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Women are refrained from holding positions of power because they are intrinsically inferior. McCain elected a woman as Vice President, he's going against the will of God and established doctrine.
I'll make sure and tell that to our congresswoman.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 08:36 PM

So McCain said today she has enough experience to be President. Not Vice President. And it wasn't a slip of the tongue. He actually said she has enough experience to be President.

If she has enough experience to be President, I don't want to hear anything about Obama's experience from the right. Ever again.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 08:50 PM

But you will, goMac. You'll continue hearing it from us. There's no escaping it, and I have already explained to you why it will continue. We know how to get under your skin, so if you don't like the heat. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2008, 09:17 PM

I thnk this was a great choice on McCains part. This decision has every posibility of appealing to those in the middle who want to see a woman in the Oval Office rather than an African; it may even appeal those upset over the choice of Obama over Clinton. I have no doubt that his decision was political, but what's wrong with that? This is politics, after all.

tie
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2008, 09:27 PM

As we've seen once again in this thread, the right judges its candidates by whether they'd like to have a beer or go hunting with them. (It's surely safer to go hunting with Palin than with Cheney.) I think the country has moved past this standard for our candidates, but we'll see.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2008, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Arkham_c View Post
she's pretty smokin' for a 44-year old woman.
Ah yes just what USA needs right now. Thank goodness there are no serious issues to be resolved and smokin' babe suffice....

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2008, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
vpilf?
HAHA already been there...

http://vpilf.com

yeah...not joking

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
HAHA already been there...

http://vpilf.com

yeah...not joking
Made on a Mac.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 10:37 PM

Maybe before we go even further we should each come up with what we consider to be useful experience? Before the Palin nomination my impression was that it was years in office, but now I'm not so sure...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Maybe before we go even further we should each come up with what we consider to be useful experience?
Well, since both Palin and Obama are comparatively light on experience, one would hope that the Democracks don't go down the road of playing the gender card when talking about Palin.

It would immediately raise the question what's so special about Obama that he would be a fit president with his limited experience...

-t

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 10:57 PM

The town I am in has a population of 12,000. Perhaps the mayor should consider a run for vice president. After all, we're less than 300 miles from Canada! International experience right there!
I'm 100 miles from Mexico. That gives me international experience as well. Although I'm not sure if some of the ladies are really ladies.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2008, 11:04 PM

Judging by the conservative reaction to this, Republicans really don't care about America. Seriously, "he's completely pwned the lefties"? You think about the future of our country in those terms? That kind of apathy is how you wind up getting arrested for carrying a butter knife.
It's about pwning the lefties. Who gives a f*ck about America. As long as lefties get pwned, it's all good.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2008, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Macrobat View Post
FYI, the Polar Bear issue has little to do with the actual bears for Alaskans, it has to do with the moronic stupidity of wasting money to put an animal that KILLS many Alaskan citizens every year on the endangered species list.
There are not people killed by polar bears every year. Not even every decade.
Originally Posted by Macrobat View Post
BTW, the Alaskan fishing fleet has "international incidents" ALL the time while fishing the Bering Sea (the Russian and Canadian fleets also), and the governor is the authority that deals with those.
Where do you get this stuff?

Forum Links
Forum Rules