Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External FW-drive stalls my system!

External FW-drive stalls my system!
:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 12:33 PM

Hi all,

I've been having a problem since I moved to a mac mini. It's nothing grave but enough to be a nuisance.

When I moved my files to the MacMini I decided to keep the internal Hard-Disk of my old computer. So I put it into an external FireWire case. Mind you I let the HD configured as it was (I suppose it was set to "master") as I figured this would make no difference when used on a firewire port.

So now from time to time my finder acts up, Spinning Beach Ball and everything, even fore quit doesn't work. Same happens with other apps I want to close, although I am not aware any of them needs to access this disk at the time.
When I just turn the power off on the disk case, everythings goes back to normal. I can then turn it on again and use it as if nothing had happend. Until the next time.

Does anyone have an idea what might cause this behaviour?

My system: MacMini 1,42, 80 GB HD, 1 GB RAM, OSX 10.3.7. Several FW-devices connected through a 6-port firewire hub (isight, another HD, DVD burner, occasionally an iBook in target disk mode). Except for the iSight and the Burner they are only turned on when needed, but none of these other devices causes similar problems.

poynter
Apr 26, 2005, 03:40 PM

Im having the same issue with my pbook,
I have a LaCie 160GB D2 drive that sometimes just crashed the system all together, finder wont relaunch or anything. Only thing that works is holding the power button.

I think I have fixed it by setting the "put hard disks to sleep" option off all the time on power adapter. It was a very sporatic crash so I dont know if its fixed yet or not.

If I had a mini I would have the power options set to full on all the time probably.
-tony

:haripu:  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2005, 01:45 AM

sounds very similar to my problem. although my system comes back to normal as soon as I turn off the external disk.

maybe I'll try the never-sleep-setting and see what happens.

poynter
Apr 27, 2005, 07:48 AM

Hope it works for you.
It seems to have worked for me, I havent had any problems this week so far.
-tony

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 11:40 AM

Have you tried connecting the drive directly to your Mac? I'm curious whether the hub might be the source of your problem. The jumper setting on the drive can affect things too, but usually the drive isn't visible when the jumper is set improperly. But it is a variable worth fiddling with if nothing else works.

:haripu:  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo
Have you tried connecting the drive directly to your Mac? I'm curious whether the hub might be the source of your problem. The jumper setting on the drive can affect things too, but usually the drive isn't visible when the jumper is set improperly. But it is a variable worth fiddling with if nothing else works.

Yes, I did once try to connect it directely. The problem still seems to be the drive itself.

But thanks for telling me about the jumper settings: I'll try that when everything else fails to produce any results.

Forum Links
Forum Rules