Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Permission changes don't really work

Permission changes don't really work
:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2006, 04:35 PM

Question: I have been copying a few graphics files while being logged in as administrator from another computer to a friends account on my iBook. (Just for backup purposes, really). But if I now open those while being logged into my friends account, I am not able to save any changes. I have to chose "Save as..." instead, as I don't have permission to modify the originals.

Which is, of course, understandable. I was copying the files as administrator, so they are the administrators files now. Here comes the annoying part. I choose "get info" on the folder containing all the files and set the permissions like I need to have them and click on the button below to use these permissions for all the files contained, too.

But that doesn't work! Never has, for as often I have tried it (several times over the years since 10.0). The only option would be to set permissions for every single file after the other. This can't be true, can it? There must be some way to do this quick, that I have missed all those years, right?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 8, 2006, 05:44 PM

The permissions for the files have to be set -- it's not just the enclosing folder's permissions that have to be OK!

But you don't have to Get Info on each file separately. Just hold down the Option key when you Get Info, and it'll show you one Get Info inspector that applies to all currently-selected files.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules