Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The 10.5 Wishlist

The 10.5 Wishlist (Page 3)
booboo
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2005, 09:43 PM

How about a smarter 'Software Update' that looks for files in directories other than (the root of) the Applications folder, so I can organize my folders how I want, and still have Software Update update my Apple app's?

How hard can an integrated 'search' function be?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2005, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by booboo
How about a smarter 'Software Update' that looks for files in directories other than (the root of) the Applications folder, so I can organize my folders how I want, and still have Software Update update my Apple app's?

gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2005, 02:20 AM

How about more speed? I would forgo ANY upgrade for 20% more responsiveness and speed. Also, better grid control in the finder!

Jacob  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2005, 02:21 AM

Believe me, when the new x86 Macs come out next year...everything about how the Mac performs will change. It will be unbelievable. Just you wait....proper graphic cards...*smiles*
"I cluck, therefor I am."

ryan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 07:59 PM

A way to uninstall apps with a click of a button. Something similar to MS Add/Remove pane would be nice. I hate having to search for all the plist files and etc. of a program after I drag the program to the trash.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2005, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by ryan
A way to uninstall apps with a click of a button. Something similar to MS Add/Remove pane would be nice. I hate having to search for all the plist files and etc. of a program after I drag the program to the trash.
I think that having a Add/remove programs button would just be confusing to users. It's unnecessary. I've never gone looking to eliminate plists after I've tossed a file. They're of no consequence.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2005, 01:15 PM

Yeah, a 4 KB plist file isn't going to harm your system in anyway. If you're that desperate for 4 Kb then there is something wrong with you. Besides, if you happen to re-install the app again all of your preferences are still there.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

bluesloth
Dec 7, 2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by SS3 GokouX
Yeah, a 4 KB plist file isn't going to harm your system in anyway. If you're that desperate for 4 Kb then there is something wrong with you. Besides, if you happen to re-install the app again all of your preferences are still there.
It isn't about the space. Random files get in the way of finding what you really want. If one is trying to find a pref file, then they have to scroll through a ton of useless old files. They also come up in spotlight and finder searches and clutter the results you actually want to see.

I still don't know if we need an uninstall option, but there would be more reason for it than saving 4kb of space.

ryan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 05:00 PM

It's not a matter of space. What's the sense of having a useless file on your computer? And it's not just plist files; many times there are whole folders inside the Library folders that can take up a few megabytes. Over time those few megabytes add up.

milhous
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2005, 09:44 PM

i'd also like to see a keyboard shortcut mechanism implemented in 10.5 to lock the system. it is by far the fastest, most instantaneous method of locking the system then activating the screensaver lock by using hot corners or the menu bar.
F = ma

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2005, 12:04 AM

You do know about the Keychain menu item right?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

milhous
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 01:09 PM

yes, that was what i was referring to, the menu bar.
F = ma

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2005, 08:52 AM

It can be set to a keyboard shortcut very easily.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

rem
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2005, 10:42 PM

Put the darn remote display hooks (from NeXT) back in Aqua and make it work like X (in that respect) as the Unix Gods intended, pretty please!

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2005, 12:38 PM

PLEASE fix the stupid preview pane- if you unluckily click on a large qt file over the network--God forbid a slow one-- the finder is USELESS until the ENTIRE file is basically transferred. Just to give you a PREVIEW of the qt file.

Lame... lame... LAME.

Apple, why can't you fix this?

arlomiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2005, 03:51 PM

I want mail to recognize events!

I want it to recognize a travelocity, NWA, expedia, United, etc itinerary and offer to put the flight information into your ical!

I want it to recognize that someone sent out a notice for a meeting, event, etc, and offer to put it into ical.

I want SMART mail that can work with ical to better manage your life.

terapatricks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2005, 08:06 PM

I'm becoming more concerned about the wish list for Macworld. Can Apple actually deliver all the product goodies that everyone wants? What happens to the stock price if they don't?

My list is simple:

- Intel iBook
- Intel PowerBook w/dual core
- wireliess iPod w/video
- Airport Express AV (delivers streaming video to TV)
- iLife '06 w/updates to all
- iWork '06 with 'Numbers' as a spreadsheet
- iPod shuffle update with screen

See the problem?
tera
--
Tera Patricks, Los Angeles, CA
The Babes of Mac360-- Home of Tera and Bambi's Mac Talk Palace

rem
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2005, 04:08 AM

Add the following options (perhaps turned off by default):
  • double-clicking window title bar shades window (instead of minimizing it)
  • selecting text (highlighting) automatically copies it to clipboard
  • middle mouse-click in text field pastes text from clipboard
  • virtual desktops
  • quick left-clicking (not click&hold) a dock icon of an app that is already running and its window is not minimized minimizes it
The top three bullets are standard behavior for X while the fourth is standard for most UNIX WMs.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish_Man
Specifically I'm thinking of stuff like the inability to update the free space count on disks...and the ever-famous pretending to have ftp upload capability while really not.
Amen.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ccrider
PLEASE fix the stupid preview pane- if you unluckily click on a large qt file over the network--God forbid a slow one-- the finder is USELESS until the ENTIRE file is basically transferred. Just to give you a PREVIEW of the qt file.

Lame... lame... LAME.

Apple, why can't you fix this?

I had that happen to me...while browsing my iDisk.

Here's another gripe: Try securely erasing a large (>1 GB) file that resided on one of your FW drives from the trash. The CPU ramps up to 100% with most of it from the system. The entire system slows to a crawl while the task completes (and this is with 1.25GB RAM).

StewartsGingerBeer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2006, 04:28 PM

there might be a 3rd party app for this already, i don't know
but it would be great if we could have the option to make/have different dock sets (like one for class related stuff and another for games...etc). i don't like having to many things on my dock at once. i'm just an organizational freak.
350mhz g3 & 3.2ghz p4

goose
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by dru
Just a random flashback to 10 years ago.
Heh, that picture reminded me of one of my wishlists. The Finder tabbed window thing -- the one were you can drag a window to the edge and have it create a popup tab window. That's one thing I miss.....

There's never enough when you have too little

goose
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by triskele
In regards to messaging clients I really wish iChat AV utilized tabs like Gaim and probably others.
and the ability to resort my buddy groups -- not just have it alphabetically. I don't want my Bots group at the top!

goose
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Agent69
My List:
[....]
12. The ability to set custom mount points (as a hidden power user install feature).
[....]
Yeah, I'm for this. I think the ease of automounting a remote file system/volume is one thing (prolly the only thing) I miss from the ol' Chooser application.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2006, 11:17 PM

This is going to sound pretty inconsequential, but I noticed it again today. I'd really other users' home folder to have a different icon than the standard folder icon. Maybe a different colored house with a lock on it. It should have a better visual association than just another folder.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by goose
Heh, that picture reminded me of one of my wishlists. The Finder tabbed window thing -- the one were you can drag a window to the edge and have it create a popup tab window. That's one thing I miss.....
get sticky windows!

sourapple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 03:51 PM

Fonts, system fonts to be exact... They are a absolute horrific god-forsaken nightmare, and since my experience first w/ OS7, it has become progressively worse. Try working in prepress and dealing w/ customers that bring in designs that utilize "helvetica" per-say; now there is three folders the system is going to search for fonts to load and hundreds of foundry combinations of the font "helvetica" ones that are installed w/ Adobe, MS, Quark... not necessarily "hell"vetica, but fonts that appear w/ more than one instance, now try working w/ duplicates or deactivate them, applications wont load, Quark thinks fonts are corrupt if you have duplicates loaded, no applications running simultaneously will ever have the same fonts available in the pulldown menu.

And the problem is not solved w/ font managers, FontAgent Pro is the closest I have come to find a manager that works, still it seems that occasionally that i have to restart the app or wait five minutes, or get completely through my workflow before realizing that something went wrong.

Every app out there that deals w/ fonts has issues that don't seem recreateable, for instance try it twice and two different things will happen.

So why not just embed a System/Application font called "SystemCoreFontMonacoSCF" and provided a copy that is called out differently (w/ a different font ID), for the computer owner for type & layout to activate for their own needs...

The Two Should NOT Mingle!!! Just hope it's not too late!

Macanoid
Senior User
Jan 4, 2006, 12:27 PM

PathFinder 4 will be out shortly and has tabs.

milhous
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 11:39 PM

in a nutshell, we need refinement, consistency, and workstation-class features.
F = ma

goose
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by godzookie2k
Looks pretty nice. However, the thing I liked about it from the Classic Mac OS was that it popped up where the tab was and you could resize the size of the tabbed window. Maybe in a future version?

twdawson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
I think that having a Add/remove programs button would just be confusing to users. It's unnecessary. I've never gone looking to eliminate plists after I've tossed a file. They're of no consequence.
After being a windows user since 3.1 days all the way up to XP i can honestly say say the add remove programs feature does not take out all of the files that want uninstalled but also sometimes takes out the ones you dont. We dont need something like this on a mac as the plist files dont do any harm.
If MS os was any good why do you think i have bought a mac???.
Thank you
Thomas from the UK

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2006, 04:23 PM

- A consistent inteface theme throughout the whole system (not 3 or 4 different ones like there are now)
- A working font managment system (maybe in the direction sourapple described just a few posts earlier)
- A general media archive for pics, movies and music that combines the usability of iTunes and the beauty and elegance of Delicious Library, but without forcing people to use a cryptic finder structure like iPhoto does (although I personally don't care and love iPhoto). This one is pure fiction, I know.
- And a new iApp that makes my life suck less. ;-)

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by goose
Looks pretty nice. However, the thing I liked about it from the Classic Mac OS was that it popped up where the tab was and you could resize the size of the tabbed window. Maybe in a future version?
eh, well, you can't have it all.

goose
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2006, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by godzookie2k
eh, well, you can't have it all.
Well.....maybe with 10.5!!!!

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by :haripu:
- A consistent inteface theme throughout the whole system (not 3 or 4 different ones like there are now)
How is this important?

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by cla
How is this important?
hm. there are enough threads about that already, I think. In short: Apple was always about consistency in its interface design. but now there are three or more themes intermingled, which not only look different from each other, but also behave differently. And there is no reason for that.

There are also no logical guidelines when to use which theme. I know there are some "rules", but they seem to make them up as they go along.

Less would be more here.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2006, 10:42 AM

/.../three or more themes intermingled, which not only look different from each other, but also behave differently. And there is no reason for that.
If they behave differently I'm totally with you. I thought the user interface was consistent, and as long as windows behave the same and widgets have the same locations, these themes would only make applications easier to recognize. A good thing.

How do they behave differently?

Regarding the guidelines, you're right, it's not a good thing that Apples "reserves" features for personal use.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by cla
How do they behave differently?

For instance:

Aqua: you can drag only the title-bar
Brushed-Metal: you can drag the titlebar and icon area, the edges, and the status bar
Safari-Brushed-Metal: no edges to drag
Mail-Sort-Of-Plastic-Aqua: you can drag the title bar and the whole icon-area

there are many more differences, but please refer to one of those threads.
if you don't think that matters, OK. I find it so annoying it makes my head ache.

goose
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2006, 03:54 PM

For instance:

Aqua: you can drag only the title-bar
Brushed-Metal: you can drag the titlebar and icon area, the edges, and the status bar
Safari-Brushed-Metal: no edges to drag
Mail-Sort-Of-Plastic-Aqua: you can drag the title bar and the whole icon-area

there are many more differences, but please refer to one of those threads.
if you don't think that matters, OK. I find it so annoying it makes my head ache.
I prefer the "Aqua-way" of doing things. There are times when I miss the scroll bar thing by a millimeter and I end up dragging the whole window all over the place.

In addition, for interface consistency, the Safari bookmark bar messes me up. Using a Mac for a long time, I kinda got into the habit of clicking and holding when going through the menus. However, if I have a bookmarks folder in the bookmarks bar and I click and hold to to access it, I end up dragging it out of the bookmarks bar.

webraider
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2006, 12:29 AM

All the functionality of Disk Utility brought to Menu Items and Contextual Menus in the Finder. I think such a useful utility doesn't need to be a utility. It needs to be part of the finder. For example.. if I want to formata CD-RW that's been used once.. I should be able to control click it and choose erase. This is much like you used to be able to do with the Finder in OS 9 days. I think Apple kind of forgot about Disk Utility and stuck it in the Utilities folder. Having Disk First Aide part of the Menu system wouldn't hurt either.. although it makes sense being a Utility application by it self.

I would love to see many more phones supported via iSyn from USB connections and Bluetooth. Especially Verizon phones seeing as how most of the people I know use them. Just my 2 cents.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by webraider
All the functionality of Disk Utility brought to Menu Items and Contextual Menus in the Finder. I think such a useful utility doesn't need to be a utility. It needs to be part of the finder. For example.. if I want to formata CD-RW that's been used once.. I should be able to control click it and choose erase.
Holy cow. Yes, yes, yes!

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2006, 04:51 AM

when you Apple+Spacebar to bring up the spotlight search, and type something in, I would love to be able to right-click on the results and choose "Reveal in Finder" without having to open up the "Show All" window.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2006, 08:50 AM

Try cmd-return. It will reveal the selected item in the Finder.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2006, 09:55 AM

Wow! Did not know that! Thanks for the great tip!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2006, 09:57 AM

You're welcome. I use it all the time. I figured you'd probably like to know.

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by sourapple
Fonts, system fonts to be exact... They are a absolute horrific god-forsaken nightmare, and since my experience first w/ OS7, it has become progressively worse. Try working in prepress and dealing w/ customers that bring in designs that utilize "helvetica" per-say; now there is three folders the system is going to search for fonts to load and hundreds of foundry combinations of the font "helvetica" ones that are installed w/ Adobe, MS, Quark... not necessarily "hell"vetica, but fonts that appear w/ more than one instance, now try working w/ duplicates or deactivate them, applications wont load, Quark thinks fonts are corrupt if you have duplicates loaded, no applications running simultaneously will ever have the same fonts available in the pulldown menu.

And the problem is not solved w/ font managers, FontAgent Pro is the closest I have come to find a manager that works, still it seems that occasionally that i have to restart the app or wait five minutes, or get completely through my workflow before realizing that something went wrong.

Every app out there that deals w/ fonts has issues that don't seem recreateable, for instance try it twice and two different things will happen.

So why not just embed a System/Application font called "SystemCoreFontMonacoSCF" and provided a copy that is called out differently (w/ a different font ID), for the computer owner for type & layout to activate for their own needs...

The Two Should NOT Mingle!!! Just hope it's not too late!
This is only neccessay because there aren't any good 3rd party font managers - but is the reason there arn't any good third party managers because the os is flawed or because font management is just really complex? curious
ππ>_<ππ

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2006, 01:47 PM

duplicate
ππ>_<ππ

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 27, 2006, 09:48 AM

MOSXR (not MOSR): 10.5 Finder overhaul - October 2005 article.

I just hope that the Finder loses its bugs like not being able to count properly the number items in a folder on the desktop, or not being to display the proper size of the folder. The lack of proper Finder grid management is really lame too. And various other problems.

If 10.5 does see a major Finder overhaul, I hope it addresses this issues without introducing another whole slew of bugs again.

WHY THE FRAK DOES APPLE HAVE SO MANY DAMN PROBLEMS WITH THE FINDER???????

Also, I HATE hitting CMD-I on multiple items only to get six info boxes pop up. And I hate the new Tiger thing where showing file extensions means I have to see .app on all applications.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jan 27, 2006 at 09:54 AM. )

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Also, I HATE hitting CMD-I on multiple items only to get six info boxes pop up.
Here's a little secret tip for you: use CMD-OPTION-I to see one window for multiple files. Gotta be one of the coolest undocumented features of OS X (well, at least of the Finder).

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2006, 11:38 AM

Eug may agree with me that even with CMD-OPTION-I there as an alternative it bugs me that the default behaviour is this way around. I'm almost certain it never used to be.

For me, at least, when I select a group of folders and file I want to know what the combined total is, not the size of them all individually. I can think of more common scenarios where this'd be the case than I can where the reverse would be true.

Also, on a related note, it really annoys me that the window you get with the combined total can't be closed with CMD-W (it closes the window that your selection was in). Grrrr.

Edit - it's even more annoying than this. I just noticed that with 10 folders or fewer, you get ten different info windows, but with 11+ you get one (that can't be closed with CMD-W).
( Last edited by all2ofme; Feb 18, 2006 at 07:03 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules