Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What's the "best" 1080/24p HD camcorder for under $6000?

What's the "best" 1080/24p HD camcorder for under $6000?
macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2006, 06:46 PM

The title says it all. I'm looking for the best camera that can shoot at 1080p/24 fps. 4:4:4 color would also be nice.

So far, i've found the Panasonic AG-HVX200. It looks GREAT! I just don't know if there's something else out there for around the same price.

Thanks.

ewiser
Dec 16, 2006, 09:31 AM

I use the Panasonic and it is a great camera.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ewiser View Post
I use the Panasonic and it is a great camera.
Great! Can you tell me something?

When I read about it, and read the specs, it says that it records 1080i and 720p, but then in more detailed specs, it says it does 1080 at 24 progressive fps. Why do they say 1080i initially? Do they mean at 60fps?

Also, what's the highest quality you can record at on tapes. For me, it's recording length over quality, but I do want something better than SD. That's why I was thinking this camera would be great, cause when prices of P2 cards comes down, then i'll be able to record true HD, but in the meantime i'd settle for a lower quality.

Thanks.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
it says that it records 1080i and 720p, but then in more detailed specs, it says it does 1080 at 24 progressive fps. Why do they say 1080i initially? Do they mean at 60fps?
When you shoot 24p at 1080lines, the camera samples 24p but uses DVCPRO HD 1080 60i as an acquisition format, so you are shooting 24p but the progressive signal is contained inside a 1080 60i stream, if that makes sense.

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
Also, what's the highest quality you can record at on tapes. For me, it's recording length over quality, but I do want something better than SD. That's why I was thinking this camera would be great, cause when prices of P2 cards comes down, then i'll be able to record true HD, but in the meantime i'd settle for a lower quality.

Thanks.
If you want "something better than SD" and length, you're going to need to tether the camera to a hard disk like the firestore, the one that works with the HVX200 is about $1800.

Hope this helps

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2006, 11:45 PM

The hvx-200 is the best.

There is a new Sony out there, but it records to HDV, which is a video format, that is on its way out (no matter how many camcorders in this format there have been introduced this year).

The hvx has a much better color Sampling, while the Sony (also around 6000$) has the same poor color sampling as standard DV.

I think you can record a better signal out of the Sony to a hard drive.

But I would not buy now. There is definitely a new version of the hvx in the works.

But if you need a camcorder now, go get it. It is a great camcorder.

Just be aware: 100mbs, 4 times of the data rate of hdv.

And the p2 medium is sinfully expensive. Check out the prices if you do not want to record to a hard drive.

Another thing: the hvx-200 uses a standard def. chip, and gets a high def image through pixel shift. But the image is still great - if you use 24p you get 1080p.

Forum Links
Forum Rules